Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason McClean
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Prosperity rules state, "If only Kingdom cards from Prosperity are being used this game, then the Platinum and Colony piles are added to the Basic cards in the Supply for the game. If a mix of Kingdom cards from Prosperity and other sets are being used, then the inclusion of Platinum and Colony in the Supply should be determined randomly, based on the proportion of Prosperity and non-Prosperity cards in use."

It goes on to give one example of how to decide whether to include them or not (if the first Randomizer card flipped is from Prosperity, then use Platinum and Colony).

My question is: What is everyone else doing? What proportion is appropriate? If more than 1/2 the cards are Prosperity? If there are 3-5 Prosperity cards in the mix, similar to Alchemy? Other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) First card is as good a determiner as any.

2) Select your 10 cards, shuffle them up and reveal one - if it is from Prosperity, then include Colony/Platinum
(I leave it as an exercise to the reader to prove that #1 and #2 are mathematically identical).

3) Roll a d10, and if you roll the number of cards included or less, then include them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McClean
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
It's been discussed pages long in one of the card list threads around here. Basically, it's 10% per Prosperity card included. I will do the following: Roll D10 (numbered 0-9 for me), add the number of P cards to that. If the result is 10 or more, Colony is in.

Thank you. I admit, that I did not search very hard before starting this thread. I apologize for the duplicate topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJazz wrote:
Thank you. I admit, that I did not search very hard before starting this thread. I apologize for the duplicate topic.

Well, I'd say that it makes more sense to have a thread specifically for the topic rather than derailing another topic.

I personally will use a d10 to decide until the Dominion KingdomDeck app for the iPhone includes this feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McClean
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
McJazz wrote:
gf1024 wrote:
It's been discussed pages long in one of the card list threads around here. Basically, it's 10% per Prosperity card included. I will do the following: Roll D10 (numbered 0-9 for me), add the number of P cards to that. If the result is 10 or more, Colony is in.

Apologies if I sounded harsh, never meant to. It's difficult to find something that is buried at the 4-7th page of a long topic with a title not even referring to what you want to find.

No worries.

I guess my biggest conflict has to do with the apparent contradiction in the rules. Let me explain:

If you flip over the first card from the randomizer deck to determine whether to use Prosperity, you would always have a 25:116 chance of using P & C or ~22%.

This would be completely unrelated to the "proportion of Prosperity and non-Prosperity cards in use" that the rules refers to.

It sounds like the intention is to shuffle the 10 radomizer cards chosen for that particular game and flip over the top one to determine the use of P & C. This appears (to me) to be the only method that satisfies both requirements according to the rules (almost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJazz wrote:
I guess my biggest conflict has to do with the apparent contradiction in the rules. Let me explain:

If you flip over the first card from the randomizer deck to determine whether to use Prosperity, you would always have a 25:116 chance of using P & C or ~22%.

This would be completely unrelated to the "proportion of Prosperity and non-Prosperity cards in use" that the rules refers to.

It sounds like the intention is to shuffle the 10 radomizer cards chosen for that particular game and flip over the top one to determine the use of P & C. This appears (to me) to be the only method that satisfies both requirements according to the rules (almost).

The idea is that you shuffle the randomizer deck and flip the top card. If that card is from Prosperity, you use Platinum and Colony. Otherwise you don't. You put the flipped card in the set along with the next 9 cards in the randomizer deck.

Because the card that you're using to determine whether or not to use Platinum/Colony is part of the set of 10 Kingdom cards, you will have proportionally more Prosperity cards in the games with Platinum and Colony.

If you do the math, you'll discover that using the top card in your set of 10 to decide is exactly the same as shuffling the 10 cards (again) and picking the top one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McClean
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
McJazz wrote:
No worries.

The funny thing is that the exact same argument happened in that other thread, which, after pages of discussion, reasoning, and making simulations eventually proved that the rulebook version and the D10 version are indeed the exact same. Just believe me please.

Done. Thank you for your time and quick responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJazz wrote:

It's an interesting puzzle, but the answer is that the two methods are actually identical. The other thread took four pages of explaining this over and over in different ways before everyone reading finally got it; it's very counter-intuitive.

Rather than attempting to explain it one way or another, here's the link to the other thread that explains it lots of different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
It's an interesting puzzle, but the answer is that the two methods are actually identical. The other thread took four pages of explaining this over and over in different ways before everyone reading finally got it; it's very counter-intuitive.

It is?? To me, it's obvious at first glance.

I don't make any claims about what it means that it's obvious to me at first glance. I'm just saying I'm very surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
banyan wrote:

It is?? To me, it's obvious at first glance.

I don't make any claims about what it means that it's obvious to me at first glance. I'm just saying I'm very surprised.

I'm sure it's obvious at first glance to some people. The fact that discussion of it went on for four pages and the fact that OP didn't realize they were the same should make it even more obvious that others don't think so. Funny that you didn't catch that. I'm not making any claims about what it means that you didn't catch that, I'm just saying it's funny. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hamm
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My entire gaming group uses them both in every game of Dominion we play now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: When are you going to use Platinum and Colony?
I find that games with are very different than games without.

Don't cheat yourself by always including them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaraway wrote:

Yes. I very, very much agree with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwommy the Purple
United States
Portland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaraway wrote:

I can agree with this. I don't like the 10% rule. Instead, we just decide if we want a longer or shorter game. If we want a longer game, then we'll include Colony and Platinum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gwommy wrote:
jcaraway wrote:

I can agree with this. I don't like the 10% rule. Instead, we just decide if we want a longer or shorter game. If we want a longer game, then we'll include Colony and Platinum.

The presence of Attack cards and/or Action branching is going to have a much bigger impact on the length of the game than the presence of Colony and Platinum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As often as possible.

I love the added length that these cards give to the game - I'm suprised how instantly I adopted them, but the game feels more dynamic now than it ever did before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine we'll just throw them into every game for a while. I don't even see a reason why we wouldn't just always use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
I imagine we'll just throw them into every game for a while. I don't even see a reason why we wouldn't just always use them.

Or, we'll throw in Platinum and Colony when we know we will be comfortable with possibly adding some time to the game, AND/OR when we use randomizer cards and have enough high cost cards that we decide it's a good idea.

There are plenty of pre-prosperity setups that are expensive AND/OR provide a lot of buying power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference is to have Platinum and Colony available regardless of the number of Prosperity Kingdom cards in play. It's already not unheard of to have 11+ coin on a turn using just the basic set. Estate, Copper, Silver, Silver, Adventurer. Play Adventurer and get 2 Gold from the draw.

I expect games to last a bit longer as people try for Colonies, and I want that. With the people I play with, they usually don't want to play a second game, so I want the game to last longer to enjoy the play more. I'd propose a house rule not to have the game end when Provinces are out, but I wouldn't be insistent on it. Without that house rule, it is already an interesting decision of what to buy when you have 9 coin. The house rule would give Platinum the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of this relies on how you use your randomizer deck. Based on the majority of this dicussion, I'm assuming most players shuffle them all together and simply draw the top 10?

I keep each randomizer deck separate so that I can ensure a certain # from each expansion if wanted. We also usually draw every 3rd/4th card from each deck to randomize the shuffling a bit more. This could also be done with one large randomizer deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since gencon I have played at least 50 games with the new set. My group always uses them. I think it adds a new level of stratgy to the game since it changes the game from the provence grab to a game with more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oklahomageek wrote:
Since gencon I have played at least 50 games with the new set. My group always uses them. I think it adds a new level of stratgy to the game since it changes the game from the provence grab to a game with more options.

to keep the new cards in all of the time is against the spirit of Dominion in my opinion. One of Dominion's strengths is that it changes from game to game. The lone exception to that had been the victory cards. The treasure cards already changed once with the inclusion of the potion cards when Alchemy cards were part of the kingdom cards selection. So I say to embrace the Platinum and Colony cards but do it by following the suggested rules. Those two cards do change the game and I believe it would be a shame if they changed it all the time and forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oklahomageek wrote:

Agreed. It used to be that having 9 or more coins meant to the player, "time to buy a province", but now you have some considerations. Get platinum to make colonies easier? Is the province stack low and am I behind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
oklahomageek wrote:

to keep the new cards in all of the time is against the spirit of Dominion in my opinion. One of Dominion's strengths is that it changes from game to game. The lone exception to that had been the victory cards. The treasure cards already changed once with the inclusion of the potion cards when Alchemy cards were part of the kingdom cards selection. So I say to embrace the Platinum and Colony cards but do it by following the suggested rules. Those two cards do change the game and I believe it would be a shame if they changed it all the time and forever.

Also agreed. I see it both ways. In fact, it would be interesting to play identical kingdom card setups 2 games in a row except for adding/removing platinum + colony to see how it changes.

Perhaps you could even keep a running total for the two games. The Colonies would raise the stakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan B.
msg tools
Once I get Prosperity, there's going to be a good amount of experimentation.
One thing I'm considering doing is having Colony in at all times, but only put Platinum in if there's 4 or more Prosperity cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.