Subject: games for 5 yr old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
My son's birthday is coming up (in 4 months, but I always get waaaaay too excited about these things) and I'm trying to determine what game to buy him for his b-day and then another for Christmas 3 weeks later.

My son will be 5 and he is a super average little guy. He loves games, but quite frankly most of the children's games we have are a little above him yet(Fluch der Mumie, Chateau Roquefort, for example, even Monza - he doesn't want a challenge, he wants things extremely simple, fun and winnable.) So I was thinking of 2 of these four:
Treasure, Ready, Go
Zoowaboo
Burg-Ritter
The Black Pirate

(it may be worth noting that he has a 7yr old sister who will play a game begrudgingly, and she wants things even less challenging than he does.)

Please don't make other recommendations, we already have a ton of games (so you may recommend something we already have) and because I'm Canadian I don't have access to the same selection as what's in the States and you'll just make me jealous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really no other suggestion? There are so many chidrens game of high quality and with kid-appropriate but nevertheless adequate gameplay. Of course gameplays gets better when age gets higher. More choices and decisions built into the game. And some screwing. For this Giro Galoppo by Selecta is famous. As a memory game I think the new Drei Magier Das magische Labyrinth is fine. And for a not too expensive dexterity game Tier auf Tier gets rave reviews.

Well as no suggestions are allowed other than the list I would say Pirate as a pirate game is always something for the boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of that list. I would recommend the black pirate. If its the Habba game. Its the best of the list. And its fun for the adult crowd as a silly game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5yo son enjoys the following,

- Buzz to the Rescue (a Toy Story 3 remake of Loopin' Louie).
- Make 'n' Break
- Guess Who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My younger daughter, like your son, doesn't enjoy being challenged by a game, so she may be a good guideline.

The Black Pirate can be tricky for young kids. My daughters couldn't really handle the bellows properly until they were 6. But maybe your son has better fine motor skills, so he may be OK.

Tier auf Tier is an (easier) dexterity game. We've had a lot of fun with it. It is Haba so it should be easy for you to get.

For non-dexterity games, I would second Giro Galoppo. My youngest started out by just playing cards randomly. Sometimes she would win! As she got older she learned how to count ahead and avoid playing cards that dropped her in rivers. It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
We do have Giro Galoppo (makes him frustrated), Tier Auf Tier (his fine motor control isn't ready enough for it - frustrated), Guess Who (doesn't get why it's fun). We bought Das Magische Labyrinth for a neighbour, so we could try it, but it didn't grab him.

I haven't seen Make n' Break around, I can order it from an internet store in Canada,so I'll think about it...Look at me! I'm taking suggestions after all

Honestly, when it gets right down to it, we already have too many games, but he's got to have something to unwrap for celebrations and I figure he gets a millions Bakugans from his buddies, so it's a game from us.

(we do have Loopin Louie too, it's awesome)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Monza by Haba for a good car racing game. Fun for the whole family!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Carcassone? My 5 year-old loved that game. (she's 6 now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
We have Monza, and it frustrates him because he wants to just take the car and zoom around the track (can't fault him for that, racing should be fast) and he gets frustrated having to follow the colour on the dice.

We have Kids of Carcassone. He hates it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to try Hey, That's My Fish! or Quicksand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perna
United States
Caledonia
Michigan
flag msg tools

Labyrinth

..by a country mile. My just-turned-4 year old girl and 6 year old boy love that game. That and Connect 4 is pretty much all they play. Once in awhile we will play Enchanted Forest - little girls love it, but you will want to houserule it for a child so young (it's a memory game, and can take forever with little kids).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
When my son was five, he liked Hisss. He also liked Blink, and still enjoys it. I also second the motion for Make 'n' Break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear The Black Pirate is cool. I ebayed a copy of Fish Eat Fish and my kids LOVE it. OK so I do too. blush It's basically war (the old card game) with fish pieces where the winner eats the losers fish. Great fun.

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Giro Galoppo is a fabulous game for 5 year olds and adults too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not something you make yourself, since you have four months of time?

I'm thinking of Chunky Fighters. I just built these last week, with my four months old son in mind.

Very luck-based and fast, and with wonderfully neat art Of course, there's direct confrontation, not sure if you want that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
1Wif wrote:
We have Monza, and it frustrates him because he wants to just take the car and zoom around the track (can't fault him for that, racing should be fast) and he gets frustrated having to follow the colour on the dice.

We have Kids of Carcassone. He hates it.

My almost 5yo is the same way with Monza and many other games too.

I know you asked for no other suggestions but 2 games have been a big hit with him:

Blokus (which we play 2 player with only 2 colors. It's more of a puzzle for him than a game. He understands the rules for piece placement and having another player blocking his moves lets us talk about problem solving)

Also Max, which has the advantage of being a cooperative game. He loves moving the little animals around and calling Max back to the porch. It's something of a story for him, which he enjoys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
I want to thank everyone for their responses. I do appreciate the help. Unfortunately, most of the things that you listed we already have and they just haven't gone over well with him. In another year this won't be the case, but for now I want him to have something that he can play without too much coaching/interference.

I am curious about Quicksand (because we have it in shrink in our closet so I'd only have to wrap it.) Do you really think that it can work with an average 5 yr old? Not a geeky, quick 5 yr old, but that kid who has little attention span and needs to swing a light saber around?

I'm especially interested in Chunky Fighters. He LOVES dice-based combat systems (he adores playing Heroscape, but the time commitment for set-up and tear down I find too much for most days). Again...is it reasonable for a just-turning 5 yr old? The big advantage is that if I had an enormous project to work on it would give me more opportunity to procrastinate the dreaded housework

Nester games is on the other side of the world from me, isn't it? If that's so, I just think that the shipping costs would be prohibitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perna
United States
Caledonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
1Wif wrote:
I am curious about Quicksand (because we have it in shrink in our closet so I'd only have to wrap it.) Do you really think that it can work with an average 5 yr old? Not a geeky, quick 5 yr old, but that kid who has little attention span and needs to swing a light saber around?

One game I ordered over the weekend and is showing up this week is PitchCar.

That may or may not be perfect for you, but I'll try to remember this thread after we've had a family play session and let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
You know Rich, again, we have it. (We have way too many games - 500, but my husband's been collecting them for the past 15 years.)

Our problem with Pitchcar (I sound so negative don't I...we really do love all our games, it's more that we're looking for something new for presents) is that he gets too excited and can't keep his car on the road and it flings off against the walls (after too many times he loses interest), or he gets upset that he can't shoot with the same accuracy as his dad. Again, in a year or two it will be sweeeeeeet and brilliant, but not right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoowaboo is great.
I like Castle Knights verry much too, but i konw some the kids in this age who don´t. Or at least they don´t like to play it according to the rules. They prefert to stack the things as they want and use thier hans. But as long as they enjoy it, who cares.

I´ve never played the others form your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1Wif wrote:
super average little guy

love this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
1Wif wrote:
Again...is it reasonable for a just-turning 5 yr old? The big advantage is that if I had an enormous project to work on it would give me more opportunity to procrastinate the dreaded housework

The combat system works as follows:

1) Look at the color of your weapon (one of the four dice that make up your fighter)
2) Pick the damage die of that color - white for weak weapons, yellow for normal, red for strong
3) Decide which enemy fighter this guy will hit, then roll the location die and the damage die
4) Apply that much damage (0, 1, or 2) to the body part shown on the location die, by turning the fighter die in that location to the new health value (maximum health on a body part is 5). Body or head reach 0 => he's gone home, legs reach 0 => they're gone and the fighter rolls a die one lower than normal in the future (because he has trouble fighting without legs)

There's a few more things, there's rules for aimed shots and first aid and disarming and changing weapons (all of which are actions that you can take instead of attacking) that you can introduce after a few games, and all the fighters have special rules that you don't have to start out with either, but that's the gist of it. Really simple, and a game lasts from 2-5 minutes in a 1v1 fight (and can be over after one die roll). So he'll need to be able to count down from 5, and roll dice, that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1Wif wrote:
Nester games is on the other side of the world from me, isn't it? If that's so, I just think that the shipping costs would be prohibitive.

Just 6,00 EUR (around $7,50) shipping per order to Canada, no matter how many games you purchase. This is, if you purchase 4 games, shipping is only 6,00 EUR.

Not prohibitive at all

I hope this helps.

Néstor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
Thanks Nestor. I'll have a closer look at what you've got.
Julie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
1Wif wrote:
Not a geeky, quick 5 yr old, but that kid who has little attention span and needs to swing a light saber around?

Sounds like my 12 year old. Hell, that sounds like ME! What were we talking about again?

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.