Subject: Tie for Globetrotter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Levy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in assuming all players who complete the most tickets for the Globetrotter bonus, if tied for the most, get the 15 point bonus? We had 3 out of 4 players tie for the most completed tickets - each of us had completed 6. The potential 15 points would have put a different player on top at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all tied players for most tickets get the bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Levy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks for confirming this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I've never found anything in the rulebook tht mentions all tied players for GT get the bonus, but I've adapted it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, in the 1910 rulebook, it says:

Quote:
Play as per the standard rules, using only the new tickets with the 1910 logo in the upper right corner instead of the standard ones. Replace the Longest Route Bonus card with the new Globetrotter - Most Completed Tickets bonus card.

Since you replace the card and no longer use "Longest Route" according to the 1910 rules, then the rules for scoring longest route, which does indicate all tied players score, are in effect.

Of course, if you are like me, you play with both bonuses and don't remove the replaced longest route card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:
Actually, in the 1910 rulebook, it says:

Quote:
Play as per the standard rules, using only the new tickets with the 1910 logo in the upper right corner instead of the standard ones. Replace the Longest Route Bonus card with the new Globetrotter - Most Completed Tickets bonus card.

Since you replace the card and no longer use "Longest Route" according to the 1910 rules, then the rules for scoring longest route, which does indicate all tied players score, are in effect.

Of course, if you are like me, you play with both bonuses and don't remove the replaced longest route card.
Didn't think of it like that. We've always played with the MegaGame variant, so that has always implied that LR still goes to each person tied for it, leaving GT unaccounted for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FWIW, that's how the (official) online game works -- in the case of ties, everyone gets the bonus(es).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do Non-completed tickets in any way count against a person when totaling for the Globetrotter card?

I ask because we had a situation the other night where a player kept drawing destination tickets every turn because he had nothing better to do and felt his best chance was to luck into tickets that he could immediately score. Now, I don't think this is a viable strategy in order to win, but what happened is that he ended up with most completed tickets(7), but also had another four that lost him points.

As a result, he decided the winner of the game, because the person who had the next highest ticket count at six, would have won the game if they would have gotten the bonus instead. It seemed like a very unpleasant and roundabout way of Kingmaking, and I was wondering what others thought about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
Do Non-completed tickets in any way count against a person when totaling for the Globetrotter card?

I ask because we had a situation the other night where a player kept drawing destination tickets every turn because he had nothing better to do and felt his best chance was to luck into tickets that he could immediately score. Now, I don't think this is a viable strategy in order to win, but what happened is that he ended up with most completed tickets(7), but also had another four that lost him points.

As a result, he decided the winner of the game, because the person who had the next highest ticket count at six, would have won the game if they would have gotten the bonus instead. It seemed like a very unpleasant and roundabout way of Kingmaking, and I was wondering what others thought about it.
AFAIK, no, uncompleted destination tickets do NOT count negatively against completed Dticks towards GT bonus. This seems to be an unusual enough thing it should've been brought up explicitly if that were the case.

I'm also thinking that drawing Dtickets like that is balanced out by the inherit risks of getting stuck with bad tickets that can knock your score waay down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'm also thinking that drawing tickets like that is balanced out by the inherit risks of getting stuck with bad tickets that can knock your score waay down.

Well certainly, I mentioned as much in my second paragraph. But as I showed, he certainly did decide the winner of the game. It was more than a little frustrating to the person who would have won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
radynski wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
I'm also thinking that drawing tickets like that is balanced out by the inherit risks of getting stuck with bad tickets that can knock your score waay down.

Well certainly, I mentioned as much in my second paragraph. But as I showed, he certainly did decide the winner of the game. It was more than a little frustrating to the person who would have won.

If the 6-completed-tickets player counted on the globetrotter bonus to win, why didn't he/she pick more tickets? TTR is a game of bluff too. Besides, there are countless obvious and subtle ways to engage in kingmaking in multiplayer TTR -- claiming a route instead of another, picking a color instead of another. If I need a white and one shows up in the 5 open cards but the guy in last place playing before me picks it because he needs it, I can eventually lose the game because of it. That's kingmaking too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

Why do you think that is Kingmaking? He was trying to win by pulling already-completed DTix. Of course, if he lost by a huge margin due to incomplete DTix, then maybe, but I would not call it kingmaking, but rather, poor play, because he is not directly effecting a specific person's score (how would he know whom he is making king?).

But of course, you provide no details as to the final scores, so it's hard to say either way from this side of the web.

I personally would categorize that as a last-ditch attempt at victory that had very little chance of success, but still had a chance.

My 2c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.