Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Strange
Australia
Dingley Village
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am thinking of selling up Descent and just having this game instead due to the size and theme, however, what is the plan for expansions in the future?

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They've already got one scheduled for November (Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game)...it can be played stand-alone or mixed in with the Ravenloft game...I'm sure more are planned as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that the plan was to see how well these two products sell before they decide whether to do more or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Torrens
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus with the visibility and longevity of the D&D brand, there are sure to be tons of player-made content. Heck, we have 30 years of Monster Manual entries alone to convert!

I'm quite excited at the future of this product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And tons of D&D mini's out there to bring into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i didn't get the impression that there would expansions for Castle Ravenloft itself, just that another boardgame, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game was going to be released that could standalone or be mixed somehow with Ravenloft.

i would assume that if these two games are hits, Wizards would follow with more boardgames that you could just add to your collection. (plus endless amounts of fan-based stuff and three decades of D&D material to work with)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (U1) would be ideal for the boardgame concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Armydillo978 wrote:
I think The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (U1) would be ideal for the boardgame concept.
Isn't that the one with the Bullywugs?

Dated cat is dated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:
Armydillo978 wrote:
Isn't that the one with the Bullywugs?

Dated cat is dated.

Sahua... Sahu... Sah...

Deep Ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
They would be wise to keep making full-blown games.

agreed. i think four upcoming games from WotC are all going to do very well

1) Castle Ravenloft
2) Wrath of Ash
3) Betrayal at House on the Hill remake
4) Battle Cry remake

plus, the wacky, radioactive Gamma World Roleplaying Game (7th Edition) is coming out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
They would be wise to keep making full-blown games. Otherwise, they will have the normal problem of each expansion selling less. With self-contained cross-compatible games like they are currently doing, new players won't feel intimidated, the games will sell more, and hardcore players can use multiple sets together. You will get more value for your money as well than expansions.

Also, they can hit other modules/settings from their archive and use the minis they already have from the minis line.

Other settings modules that would rock...

1. Underdark (Dark elves, Mind-Flayers, Lolth etc.)
2. Temple of Elemental Evil
3. Demonweb pits
4. Tomb of Horrors
5. Undermountain

I don't know about that. Profit margins on games like this tend to be a bit short. A good example is Heroscape, where the money is in the expansions. Right now, WOTC is going black big time recycling figures for CR. I think the expansions would be big money makers in themselves with the cost of tooling already absorbed. I'm not sure full games would sell any better as people will either stick with just the base game or will want expansions to fill out the game system. I hope they look to expand the system and not just stick with what are basically rereleases of the same game in different colors. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the other worlds, but maybe as expansion packs....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should do a Keep on the Borderlands expanion... that would be fun.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.