Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in my last GR, both my opponent and I were in no hurry to do much but build up our armies. I will say that the number of CP usage doubles really hurt me as I didn’t get to use most of my CPs, but that’s a bit of an excuse.

I forgot that on Turn 4, Pepper added the Virginia ironclad to Memphis.

Turn 5 saw a few rolls of one or two CPs per side and then we rolled doubles again… With my previous luck, uh-oh. We just mostly filled in onesy-twosies as needed. With a force massed against Fort Monroe (near Norfolk, VA), I quickly moved McClellan and 4 guys there to help defend. He currently had 7 guys. I was going to invade somewhere (Florida), but I didn’t want to lose Fort Monroe, and with the South and 7 guys there, I thought that was a decent trade off. (Probably too defensive though…)

At this point I had almost 30 reinf, while he had near 20! That’s how many times we’d rolled 4 CP usages ending the turn early. GRRR! We placed all of our leaders and I added reinforcements. Beauregard finally killed off the guys in Alexandria, VA.

So, it was time to go to town. I moved Grant (in charge of AoT) down from Cincinnati towards Nashville and I invaded Fort Jackson near new Orleans, though Sedgewick did die there. (Of course, Siegel survived…) We roll more CPs…gulp. So, I take Porter and a stack from Fort Monroe to take New Orleans. You guessed it. I fail (taking even losses, but not enough to kill them completely off) and the groups retreats back to Fort Monroe.

Pepper puts two guys back in NO and moves a force up from Raleigh towards W Virginia. (Actually, turns out is was illegal. It was two leaders and guys, but no army. Oh well.) McDowell finally moves the AoP to bake care of Beauregard in Alexandria. Both of the cav leaders (Stoneman and Morgan) die. Hmmm.

EK Smith and Stuart (illegally) attack Banks and one guy on the VA train line between Lead and Charlottesville. Meanwhile, AS Johnston moves back to Nashville. Grant follows up taking Ironworks and with doubles rolled again. The turn ends!!! ARGGGHHH.

Turn 6 saw the South add the Arkansas ironclad to Memphis. Grant and AoT move to Nashville, fights a battle with AS Johnston and his AoT. Sure I lost getting Hancock, Burnside and Forrest wounded, but I then proceeded to undemoralize my AoT.

Stuart and one guy move up to Charleston, WV. Union AoT is refilled followed by another battle in Nashville. This sees a demoralized ASJ lose and retreat out. Grant is earning his pay now! ASJ undemoralizes the AoT, while Rosie is removed from AoC and moved to Philly. Semmes (Conf naval leader) is added to Memphis and the two ironclads, while crappy Banks gets deposited on Washington DC. Pepper consolidates some units in Arkansas.

Farragut and ships moves back to Philly (leaving dirty Siegel to guard Fort Jackson). More troops are added to various armies. Buell leads two guys back down to Charlestown, WV and succeeds in killing off Stuart, his confed SP, and himself, but retakes the city. More and more troops added to armies. (At that time, I still had over 20 to place.) The South starts the fort in Chattanooga. I keep waiting for some doubles, but they don’t happen and I end up putting out all the reinf. The Union ends up with all three armies full, plus 12 in Philly (with the navy), 7 in DC, and 8 in Cairo (with more of the navy). Turn over.

Turn 7 sees the initial flurry of Union leader placement. The Chattanooga fort is finished, the Alabama commerce raider is placed out to sea to start raiding. arrrh There is some more consolidation of forces in Arkansas, menacing Springfield, MO and another stack menaces Grafton, WV. In response the Union brings on more ships and then sails the Philly stack with Hooker, Lyon and Farragut to NO again. The city is taken at the cost of losing Farragut. Dupont (Union naval leader) is added for the next turn.

The South responds with placement of a bunch of leaders and reinforcements. Sherman and AoC march south from Paducah, KY, while 4 inf are placed in Wheeling, WV others in St. Louis. Finally, Banks is moved to Pittsburg, PA. And the turn ends…! Again. ARGGGGHHH!

Turn 8 finally sees the Tennessee line cracked. (Along with the South’s personal morale. ) The force threatening Grafton instead moves up to the Pennsylvania (??? ) and then adds a bunch of guys to cities and armies. The Union places his leaders, then Sheridan with 1 SP moves around the Confed AoM and takes an almost finished fortress. (This was a mess up for both of us. He couldn’t have built it without a unit there… GRRR. Live and learn.)

Next ASJ pulls the AoM back around Chattanooga, (?) adds some leaders and moves a few more unit around. The ANV finally moves on the AoP. McDowell reacts into Alexandria (dumbass) and we do the battle. There was a mess up due to the red tape rule, but with the confed +6drm and 4 rerolls, it ends up a draw. McDowell and Ewell are wounded, while Pope, Logan, Magruder and Jackson are promoted.

With a big six CPs, a few leades are placed, then Foote with 4 ironclads, 2 transports and 2 inf decide to take care of the Confederate ironclad situation outside of Memphis. After losing one and damaging 2 others, the scourge is removed and the miniscule force is landed in Port Hudson, taking it (barely).

The other big move is Grant (now in charge of the AoC) moves against Memphis. Currently the Confed AOM is there under van Dorn… hee hee. I thought that there were more people there and a fortress. It’s 20 v 15, but all of the advantages were with the Union, though Hancock does take one for the team (ie. dies). zombie Memphis falls! Banks (damned Banks) moves to Springfield, MO to counter the possible threat from Arkansas and forms the ASW. One last roll and the turn will end…

We get some more CPs! So, Sherm (now in charge of the Union AoM) moves to Chattanooga and Sheridan moves on to Knoxville, taking the last city in Tennessee. The South launches a 1* AP Hill from Arkansas with 2SP to fight Banks and ASW in Springfield, MO. Taking one loss and a D each. Meanwhile, he finishes up the Vicksburg fort. The North moves around a few leaders to set up attacks later.

Ol’ Lee finishes up the fort in Atlanta, while Dupont picks up 6 SPs & Grierson, dropping 4 SPs off in Fort Monroe, VA; Grierson in Port Hudson, LA and 2 SPs and himself in New Orleans, VA. (BTW: I’m not sure if this was legal or not. I’m still a bit confused on Union sea lift. I spent 2 naval CPs to do this. Did I do it correctly?)

Pepper moves two guys to Vicksburg and finishes up his fortress there, running out of CPs. I move a guy from St. Louis to Philly and invade the fortress outside of Wilmington, NC. The stack comes from Fort Monroe, VA, with 4 SPs and Blunt. I bring some more guys to Philly, move Meade to the AoP, and finally start a depot in Baltimore. The turn ends.

Tennessee is converted! It’s 65 VP to 17. The south is down to 104 for supply. I realize that I have been pretty lax on that and will have to continue to be more aggressive.

Just as a teaser to T9, the Alabama was sunk. (God bless those double 6's!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think you did sea lift correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
No, I don't think you did sea lift correctly.

...breath held...

So, how SHOULD it have been done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crepin Puitville
Spain
flag msg tools
Good afternoon Mr.Warren Bruhn.
Warren, please help. I habeen playing this game since about 1983 but I don't think that I have ever understoodthe UNion sea lift.
Is it that each Union SP moved by sea both in attacks and in additions to existing invading stacks are marked off on theblue sea marker AND also marked off on the apprpprite Naval or Discretionary commands.
EXAMPLE if the Union has 2 Naval and 1 Discretionary command left, McClellan may sea lift 6 SP(from Washington to N. Orleans which is already in Union hands) and pay 6 sea lift points and the 3 CPs??
Greetings from Spain and thanks in advance.
Crepin Puitville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sealift
Sealift correlates to CP commands.

I used to think in my old games that they were free moves and I'd just it to prolong a turn in order to hopefully get a tie.

Found out I was doing it wrong on the Consim forums.

The way you do it is by using a naval leader to move a group of SPs (who have to be along the coast or rivers typically in the Eastern Theater) or you can do it individually by using naval or discretionary CPs.

When you do a naval attack you keep track of SPs used by taking them off the sea lift counter.

I use the revised rules these days which is a free PDF but I think the above gives you a general idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Crepin,

For starters if you want your questions answered in a more timely fashion I'd go here:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@252.W7PHcenOSwn.16@.ee6c...

And before somebody asks the free PDF with rule revisions (mostly good) are here. I never played without the additional leaders rule. Some would argue the Red Tape rule makes things harder on the North even though it's more historically true:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:The_Civil_War

Answers below:

>

A lot of people are playing their own versions of the game. It's complex and not always detailed well. One of the reasons for the revisions in the PDF.

>>>>>> Is it that each Union SP moved by sea both in attacks and in additions to existing invading stacks are marked off on theblue sea marker >>>>>>>>>>

That's the sea lift counter so yes.

>>

This appears correct except that a three star ground commander could only control up to a total of six of NSPs or SPs so that typically means 3 transports and 3 SPs. See below.

Most people would rather use a naval comm and do it for two CPs (and you can command more . . . . 6 transports and 6 SPs gives you a better attack attempt) but you might be in a pinch and have to do it this way based on various circumstances. More commonly, the Union player turns to this method when he's killed off too many naval commanders.

These rules as a reference from the PDF:

8.2 Naval Leaders
8.2.1 There are only three naval leaders in the game, the Union
admirals Porter, Foote, and Farragut. Naval leaders are all of two-star rank and can thus command 6 Naval Strength Points (hereafter NSP’s). In
addition, transports under a naval leader’s command can carry SP’s and/or leaders freely (i.e., transported SP’s and/or leaders do not count against the 6 NSP limit the naval leader may command).

EXAMPLE 8.2.1: Farragut can command up to 6 transports to move
as many as 6 SP’s, plus leaders, at a cost of 2 Commands - his Initiative Rating

8.4.7 A non-naval leader can command a number of transport NSP’s equal to the number of SP’s his rank allows him to command (Army command excluded). However, SP’s transported also count against this amount. In addition, other leaders cannot be transported with that force.
EXAMPLE 8.4.7: A three-star general can command a maximum of 3 transports carrying 3 SP’s, or some other combination not exceeding a total of 6 SP’s plus NSP’s.

Best,

Shannon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.