Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Travelling in hope... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our trip to Munich starts on Wednesday. I've packed already;
stuff for walking around in the Alps for a day in the snow, guidebook,
collection of small games for travel and general entertainment (Schotten Totten, Once Upon a Time plus expansion, Odin's Ravens, double deck of playing cards and Fluxx for those truly mindless moments. What I really wanted to take was E&T but it wouldn't fit. I might pack up the cards and money from St Pete as well; sure I can squeeze them in somewhere),
address of games shop and,
what I fear really marks Geek status, a printout of Power Grid English rules from BGG just in case I happen to pick up the German version while I'm out there. I did wonder whether to print out some more rule sets but decided that one could take forward planning just that little bit too far.

Had a bad dream last night; I was in a German games shop and they had rows upon rows of small boxed games, all massively reduced, and I didn't recognise any of them or any of the designers so I had no idea what to buy. I think maybe I've been spending just a little too much time thinking about games and travel recently.....

Connor has slightly gone off the idea of the trip since WoW arrived on Saturday but he hasn't quite hit 13 yet so he is still relatively ameneable (one more month to go). WoW is a very nice looking game, I have to admit. Our plans are quite son-friendly; a day in the Alps, a visit to the Zoo (OK that's my treat) and a day in the Deutsches (Science) Museum, plus probably lots of pasta since I doubt that I'll persuade him to eat Bratwurst. And visits to anywhere that look vaguely game-friendly. Germany- the name never had this thrill when I was younger!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Make sure you leave space to bring back games. Or perhaps you could just leave your clothes in Germany.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was in a German games shop and they had rows upon rows of small boxed games, all massively reduced, and I didn't recognise any of them or any of the designers so I had no idea what to buy.

Seems to me the solution here is quite obvious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that even in my nightmares I'm aware of luggage allowances!

Cunning plan; pack hiking boots for trip there. Wear hiking boots for trip back. Voila! game space.

I fear souvenirs for the family are going to have to be tea-towels, or possibly cuff-links.

Note to self; must remember to remove Swiss Army knife from money belt. The number of times that's been confiscated is quite embarrassing, but I don't think they give it you back at airports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I spent a week in Germany last year and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was based in Bamberg, an absolute jewel of a city, and even better for those who are keen on beer as it has 9 breweries. We went walking in the beautiful countryside and also visited Nuremberg, Bayreuth and Coberg.
I've been to Germany (including the old DDR) several times and always had a great time. If you can't find games shops, the department stores have dozens of decent games in my experience.
Have a good holiday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh...I envy you.

I spent July in Munich and absolutely loved the . I have such fond memories and can't wait to get back.

I began writing this entry to suggest a few things to see, but since I was there in the summertime, most of the things that I did won't be available...Biergaerten...swimming in the Isar...more Biergaerten...the Englischer Garten...

As far as winter things go, the Deutches Museum is really great option. There's a really cool yellowtrain layout, if you go for that sort of thing. Of course there's the Hofbrauhaus. If you're into churches, check out the Asamkirche on Sendlinger Strasse. If I recall correctly, there is a very large game/toy store right near Karlsplatz, which might be good place to drop 5db and get 5vp

Anyway, enjoy the trip...I wish I were going back. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.