Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Runespawn Witch has the following ability:

DUNGEON: All other players discard one card. Runespawn Witch gains MAGIC ATTACK +2 unless at least one Spell was discarded.

Let's say I was in the unlikely position of having both of these third-level characters in my deck and they both were in the Dungeon at the same time.

I activate the first one's ability and everyone discards a non-spell. The second one is activated and the same thing happens. What is the result?

Does each Runespawn Witch gain MAGIC ATTACK +2?

Does each Runespawn Witch gain MAGIC ATTACK +4? (+2 for each occurrence of the other players not discarding a spell.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
The Runespawn Witch has the following ability:

DUNGEON: All other players discard one card. Runespawn Witch gains MAGIC ATTACK +2 unless at least one Spell was discarded.

Let's say I was in the unlikely position of having both of these third-level characters in my deck and they both were in the Dungeon at the same time.

I activate the first one's ability and everyone discards a non-spell. The second one is activated and the same thing happens. What is the result?

Does each Runespawn Witch gain MAGIC ATTACK +2?

Does each Runespawn Witch gain MAGIC ATTACK +4? (+2 for each occurrence of the other players not discarding a spell.)

Wow, that is an unlikely circumstance. As each Dungeon Effect is used before the next is activated, I'd have to say that Each Runespawn Witch gains MAGIC ATTACK +2. However, as I've never even fathomed this situation, I'll take it to the designer and see what we find out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Wow, that is an unlikely circumstance. As each Dungeon Effect is used before the next is activated, I'd have to say that Each Runespawn Witch gains MAGIC ATTACK +2. However, as I've never even fathomed this situation, I'll take it to the designer and see what we find out!

Like I said, I can see both sides. If the card said "this" Runespawn Witch (which I bet was the intent) or "each" Runespawn Witch then it would be clear. You gotta love the English language.

For real chaos, toss in a couple of Diin Beguilers and two Militia. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
slaqr wrote:

Like I said, I can see both sides. If the card said "this" Runespawn Witch (which I bet was the intent) or "each" Runespawn Witch then it would be clear. You gotta love the English language.

For real chaos, toss in a couple of Diin Beguilers and two Militia. ninja

Answer came back from Mike and I was correct. He says:

Mike Elliot wrote:
Correct. It is a single effect and not a static effect, so it does not keep checking for later spells discarded.

This means that when the first Witch is played, the discard happens (without spells) and the Witch gains MAGIC ATTACK +2. The check for cards ends here. Then you activate the second Witch, which goes through the same check on a new discard. The End.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:

Mike Elliot wrote:
Correct. It is a single effect and not a static effect, so it does not keep checking for later spells discarded.

This means that when the first Witch is played, the discard happens (without spells) and the Witch gains MAGIC ATTACK +2. The check for cards ends here. Then you activate the second Witch, which goes through the same check on a new discard. The End.

So when the card says, "Runespawn Witch gains MAGIC ATTACK +2" it means just that one, not all copies of Runespawn Witch in play?

I think your take was different from my intended question.

When the first one activates and the other players do not discard a spell, it gives +2 Magic Attack to the Runespawn Witch which activated the ability. Does it also give +2 Magic Attack to any other Runespawn Witches in play?

From Mike's response, I would guess it doesn't and didn't think that was the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
slaqr wrote:

Mike Elliot wrote:

So when the card says, "Runespawn Witch gains MAGIC ATTACK +2" it means just that one, not all copies of Runespawn Witch in play?

I think your take was different from my intended question.

When the first one activates and the other players do not discard a spell, it gives +2 Magic Attack to the Runespawn Witch which activated the ability. Does it also give +2 Magic Attack to any other Runespawn Witches in play?

From Mike's response, I would guess it doesn't and didn't think that was the intent.

No it does not give +2 to any other Runespawn Witches. The two questions are the same, only reversed in order. Either way, each Runespawn witch adds to iteself and ONLY itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's what I thought, but I decided to give myself a headache this morning and think of possible ways of breaking the system while dealing with people whose brains are exploding from a corporate audit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.