New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The image of flame is a powerful.

Yeah, crack team of writers and editors they put together in that two months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what the world needed.

If you'll pardon me, I'm going to go long for the days before blogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
Just what the world needed.

If you'll pardon me, I'm going to go long for the days before blogs.

Blog or no blog, why should anyone care what this guy says about investments (or nything else)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's hardly what his blog is about.

"Bedbugs Spread as EPA limits options" is a headline (or a paraphrase of one) that will leap out at you.

As if we didn't already have enough outlets for divisive politics.

I wonder when we'll all wake up and realize our country doesn't work when we don't look for common ground?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
"If you are like me" .... .... Crazy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
That's hardly what his blog is about.

"Bedbugs Spread as EPA limits options" is a headline (or a paraphrase of one) that will leap out at you.

As if we didn't already have enough outlets for divisive politics.

It may be divisive - but its true. The EPA will not let exterminators use chemicals such as DDT to contain bedbug infestations. Similarly, your local fire department will not let the exterminator use a flamethrower to contain an infestation either.

Personally, I'm all for the government regulate the sale of hazardous chemicals (and home flamethrowers)... but I can see that its a debatable point: your life, your home, and your right to poison yourself and your family to contain a pest that is mainly just a threat to your sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
"If you are like me" .... .... Crazy?

No, only seeking out news and facts from sources that will agree with you.

The line in his post that's really galling is the one where he suggests that the news from other sites is filtered, but this one won't be. I nearly gagged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friend of mine got these two years ago in Texas.
She had not traveled so they had to have come from outside either on foot or on one of her cats.

There were apparently only 3 of them but she had to seal most of her bedroom furniture for 18 months to get rid of them.

Basically 3 bites on her legs each night. Since she found a shell in the runner of the nightstand drawer, it looks like they were crawling past most of her body to her legs, then back up to the nightstand each night. Good argument for caulking things so there are no very thing cracks for them to hide in.

It was really creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:
Personally, I'm all for the government regulate the sale of hazardous chemicals (and home flamethrowers)... but I can see that its a debatable point: your life, your home, and your right to poison yourself and your family to contain a pest that is mainly just a threat to your sanity.

Debatable point? Really? The EPA bans chemicals that are bad for the environment or too toxic for use around people, and they're being obstructionist.

Meanwhile, you'll note that the article contains literally nothing about treatments that are available and effective, like heat.

Very productive and positive article, that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
dtolman wrote:

Debatable point? Really? The EPA bans chemicals that are bad for the environment or too toxic for use around people, and they're being obstructionist.

Meanwhile, you'll note that the article contains literally nothing about treatments that are available and effective, like heat.

Yes. Really. I agree with the decision by the EPA, but I could easily debate the point for the other side. When the EPA banned the chemical, did they weigh the health risks of modern day pests, versus the risks to the environment? Does a blanket ban make sense when targeted indoor applications, followed by removal, are possible? On a broader topic, what article of the constitution gave the government the right to stop us from doing stupid things that only affect our property?

Perhaps the article contained nothing about treatments that are available and effective...because their are none - besides low tech things such as caulking and wrapping your mattress. Heat treatments have their own problems as well - they can not be used in apartment buildings for example (at least, in NYC).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Learn how to invest in GOOOOLD!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtolman wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
dtolman wrote:

Yes. Really. I agree with the decision by the EPA, but I could easily debate the point for the other side. When the EPA banned the chemical, did they weigh the health risks of modern day pests, versus the risks to the environment? Does a blanket ban make sense when targeted indoor applications, followed by removal, are possible? On a broader topic, what article of the constitution gave the government the right to stop us from doing stupid things that only affect our property?

Perhaps the article contained nothing about treatments that are available and effective...because their are none - besides low tech things such as caulking and wrapping your mattress. Heat treatments have their own problems as well - they can not be used in apartment buildings for example (at least, in NYC).

This last line feels a little bit like moving the goalposts, I mean, would said NYC apartments really let you unleash a toxic chemical as well, even if it was federally allowed? Something tells me the answer is probably "No.". So I don't necessarily see this as a particular weakness to heat treatments (though I'd be surprised if it was indeed weakness-free).

And to your property point. Utilizing deadly chemicals is more than "doing something stupid on your own property". The danger is that such chemicals will hardly be contained to just your property. Even if you could garauntee they were, there are plenty of other things which are illegal to do on your own property, which harm no one.

Edit for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I heard about this and thought "So what?". I usually enjoy Beck but I think the man really needs someone on his staff to help reign him in. His ADD compels him to run in a thousand different directions at once and causes him to put out a lot of substandard material. His fiction books come first to my mind.

I think that we really DO need some real investigative journalism in this country and a lot of times it is manifesting itself via blogs and bloggers that are willing to ask questions until they get answers. The problem is having to hunt to find these journalists and I'm not sure that what Beck is providing here is really anything worthwhile.

I looked at a few of the articles. This one: Homeowners Association Orders Cop to Remove ‘God Bless America’ Sign.

Really? A better headline would be Homeowners Association Orders Man to Remove Sign. because his profession and the content of the sign has nothing to do with the action taken by the HOA. If they were really investigating this (rather than just re-reporting other sites info) they would talk to the HOA, research to see what other similar actions had been taken in th epast, how long this rule has been in effect, under what circumstances it was instituted, was it clearly spelled out in the association rules. Ya know, INVESTIGATIVE reporting.

How about this headline? HOAs ‘Tread’ on Patriotic Symbols. A better one would be HOAs Enforce Rules. Seems the guy put up a flagpole without consulting the HOA board and is flying a flag not endorsed by the state of Arizona (looks like they are enforcing a law thay Arizona won't enforce). The neat thing is that the ACLU is on the side of the homeowner regarding the flag (not sure about the flagpole, since there is no INVESTGATIVE journalism here)

Once again, Beck's brain runs off with another 'great idea' and no one on his staff has the nuts to tell him it ain't a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
I think that we really DO need some real investigative journalism in this country...

This is spot on true and sadly becoming harder and harder to find from many news outlets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to defend this Beck character - but has the old trope of "DDT is horrible for human health" ever been actually proven beyond the "precautionary principle" bullshit ?

As someone whose family would almost certainly be dead of either malaria or starvation had it not been for DDT I always get vaguely pissed off when it is referred to as a hugely toxic, hazardous chemical (much less on par with a home flame-thrower).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, the gold scam is well... silly.

What is up with the recent obsession with gold as currency ? It seems to me as it is super-fertile ground for all sorts of nutty proposals and conspiracy theories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:
Not to defend this Beck character - but has the old trope of "DDT is horrible for human health" ever been actually proven beyond the "precautionary principle" bullshit ?

Yes. In high doses, it causes liver, skin, and nervous system problems. Even in lower doses it lingers in the environment with persistent effects.

I'm nowhere near qualified enough to say whether using it is better or worse in environments where malaria is a larger issue. But in the US, it's more of a risk than is worth taking given the other alternatives available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:
It seems to me as it is super-fertile ground for all sorts of nutty proposals and conspiracy theories.

So you're saying the Goldline/Beck alliance is a match made in heaven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
bramadan wrote:

Yes. In high doses, it causes liver, skin, and nervous system problems. Even in lower doses it lingers in the environment with persistent effects.

I'm nowhere near qualified enough to say whether using it is better or worse in environments where malaria is a larger issue. But in the US, it's more of a risk than is worth taking given the other alternatives available.

I know I'm taking it further off topic here, but I was always under the impression that the problem with it was that it was harmful to bird's shells or something (like thinned them..?) Also - again from what I remember, the big argument against the DDT ban was that the US cut off trade and aid with/for countries that used it, right? So African countries that really could have used DDT to save millions (literally) of lives were essentially 'forced' to stop using it in order to deal with the US. Maybe that was all misinformation from years ago - I'd look it up but i'm on a limited schedule atm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Yeah, I heard about this and thought "So what?". I usually enjoy Beck but I think the man really needs someone on his staff to help reign him in. His ADD compels him to run in a thousand different directions at once and causes him to put out a lot of substandard material. His fiction books come first to my mind.

I think that we really DO need some real investigative journalism in this country and a lot of times it is manifesting itself via blogs and bloggers that are willing to ask questions until they get answers. The problem is having to hunt to find these journalists and I'm not sure that what Beck is providing here is really anything worthwhile.

I looked at a few of the articles. This one: Homeowners Association Orders Cop to Remove ‘God Bless America’ Sign.

Really? A better headline would be Homeowners Association Orders Man to Remove Sign. because his profession and the content of the sign has nothing to do with the action taken by the HOA. If they were really investigating this (rather than just re-reporting other sites info) they would talk to the HOA, research to see what other similar actions had been taken in th epast, how long this rule has been in effect, under what circumstances it was instituted, was it clearly spelled out in the association rules. Ya know, INVESTIGATIVE reporting.

How about this headline? HOAs ‘Tread’ on Patriotic Symbols. A better one would be HOAs Enforce Rules. Seems the guy put up a flagpole without consulting the HOA board and is flying a flag not endorsed by the state of Arizona (looks like they are enforcing a law thay Arizona won't enforce). The neat thing is that the ACLU is on the side of the homeowner regarding the flag (not sure about the flagpole, since there is no INVESTGATIVE journalism here)

Once again, Beck's brain runs off with another 'great idea' and no one on his staff has the nuts to tell him it ain't a great idea.

I agree that he's moving in a bunch of directions, but this one is not necessarily a bad one. He's only one man - he will likely have very little to do with it personally. Keep in mind that this is day ONE of this site. I think that if you truly want to see a new breed of legitimate investigative journalism then you should write in, and write in often, your exact concerns that you just voiced here. The earlier the better, really - it'll be more likely to be read/heard in these early stages. The more that is heard and acted on, the closer it can get to becoming the site you desire. If they don't respond, well, then at least you tried.

p.s. Spot on with the fiction. Overton Window sucked. Never read the Christmas Sweater, but it didn't really appeal to me anyway. I do enjoy the non-fiction though...though some (most?) on this forum would probably argue he only writes fiction... (You're welcome guys - I wrote that one for ya so you didn't have to...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
bramadan wrote:

No. Not true.

If you look, you will find more studies that show that DDT has no or very minimal effects on humans and wildlife then did. And studies that show otherwise, were shown that their test groups were not maintained properly or that they were administering dose levels in the tens of thousands times greater then found in nature.

If you google DDT, (George) Claus and (Karen) Bolander you should be able to find their 1977 paper on the subject.

Quote:

According to the CDC, it was largely through the use of DDT, in the late 40's early 50's, that malaria was eradicated in the south.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
bobby_5150 wrote:

If you look, you will find more studies that show that DDT has no or very minimal effects on humans and wildlife then did. And studies that show otherwise, were shown that their test groups were not maintained properly or that they were administering dose levels in the tens of thousands times greater then found in nature.

Current DDT warnings
http://pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC33482
http://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/pesticides_hazard_rev_3...)
http://www.chem.unep.ch/ddt/documents/Ritter_en.pdf (1995)

Overall for humans - moderately toxic, possible carcinogen, correlated to diabetes, endocrine disruptor.

WP may/not suck but its links are great. Now everyone has propaganda!

# ^ Sarvana, Adam (May 28, 2009). "Bate and Switch: How a free-market magician manipulated two decades of environmental science"
http://dcbureau.org/20090602161/Natural-Resources-News-Servi....

Gutstein, Donald (November 24, 2009). Not a Conspiracy Theory: How Business Propaganda Hijacks Democracy. Key Porter Books. ISBN 1554701910. . Relevant section excepted at: Gutstein, Donald (January 22, 2010). "Inside the DDT Propaganda Machine". The Tyee. http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2010/01/22/DDTPropaganda/. Retrieved 22 January 2010.

see also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_LaRouche
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Fighting_Malaria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobby_5150 wrote:
If you google DDT, (George) Claus and (Karen) Bolander you should be able to find their 1977 paper on the subject.

I actually had done this last year when one my kids asked questions about it (I've no recollection of why). There's studies from the '90s and the last decade that reach the conclusions I posted.

I will be the first to admit, I am not expert in the field, and the newer studies may not be considered "as good."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.