Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Williams
United States
Brooklyn
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was given the opportunity to playtest iDetective: The Case of the Burglary of Bellamy's, and I found the game to be interesting and enjoyable. The story behind the game was interesting and compelling, and gave the player an amusing little snapshot of Sherlockian Mystery. I will endeavor to share as much information as possible without tipping my hand as to the contents of the actual mystery. Give it a play, and see if you can keep up with the master consulting detective himself.

The mechanics of the game were fairly simple and completely open. At the start of the story, an assortment of locations are available to the player. As you travel through the story, additional locations are opened up by your investigation. Playing through the first time, one must strive to economize on moves in order to maximize one's score, and one must pay close attention to every detail--even the ones not mentioned. Additionally, as you travel, each entry has a time total listed at the start of it. Keep track of your time, as you will deduct points based on how long, in game time, the investigation takes.

The Mystery centers around a gruesome murder in a London home. The cast of characters has, of course, made their way to a number of different locations, thus requiring the investigator to pick and choose from among a wide array of destinations to try to get to the bottom of the mystery. The players have no option to split up like some Victorian Scooby-Doo gang, so you are forced to stick together as you untangle the web of the Burglary at Bellamy's.

I ended up playing through it solo (so even less of a chance to split up, understandably), and it was certainly an enjoyable way to pass a little time. I boldly strode through only a few passages, and had already formulated enough of an idea to know what happened. Once I knew what was going on, I made my way back to 221B Baker Street, where Holmes quizzes the player(s) on what occurred. I had enough of an idea to answer all of the major and minor questions correctly, though, admittedly, I did have to guess on a couple of the questions. (Of course, I didn't tell Holmes that I guessed; a true detective never guesses.) Having only a taken a few steps around town, I managed a rather good score. Your final score is determined as follows: you get 25 points for each major question and 10 points for each minor question. From this total, you subtract 1 point for every five minutes that your investigation took.

My score for the investigation was well above the score needed to be a successful iDetective. I even made an extra little note for "inventory," and proudly declared that I was confiscating the murder weapon when I came across its innocuous description in the text.

After concluding the investigation, I dove into the rest of the iDetective book, reading other entries and generally whiling away the hours in Victorian London. The entries were all interesting and evocative, and I found it rather amusing to interact with the assorted characters.

Overall, the game was a fun little adventure, and an interesting little challenge. The mystery was well conceived and executed, and I look forward to future iDetective adventures. I encourage you to give it a read and see if you can be a successful iDetective, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Husfeldt
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
Congratulations on confiscating the murder weapon

Fun idea with the additional inventory! Guess it just needs a max item number... or a weight on items.

And yes... it is a great little stroll through the Victorian London
And not to worry... I won't reveal to Holmes that you guessed a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.