Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benski Dayley
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, this game is good. I enjoy it.

The only house rule I use is an alternate use for the Excuse. In the rules I printed off, the Excuse is saved until the player is out of cards and then revealed to show that he/she doesn't have one left after all.

I found through playing the game that crowns serve almost the same purpose, the only difference is that the crowns have to lead to serve the same purpose. For example, when I have 3 cards left, all of them crowns,if I lead with a crown, no one can beat it and I play all three cards until I'm out.

I like to use the Excuse as an exception card. Normally Crowns, Pawns, and Courts have limitations on how they can be played. The Excuse can be thrown into the mix during any one trick, and for the rest of that trick, the pawns and crowns can be played as straights (still following rank order) and sets.

I like this variant because the Crowns can only be played as a single card and the single cards don't typically come out until the round is almost over. This way, the crowns (and also if you get stuck with a single pawn), have a chance to become more involved in the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit:

In the mean time the rules for using the Excuse have altered quite a bit. With the new rules, the following points are countered:

1) The Excuse is more interesting now
2) Crowns aren't effectively auto-wins
3) Your new bomb rules give dramatically more interest to [1/3 of] the Crowns.

From the Decktet Wiki:

Quote:
The Excuse should be considered as a personality card and can thus be part of Bombs.

According to the order of rank depicted under ‘Single Cards’, the Excuse has the lowest possible rank in the game. This means that when the Excuse is part of a Bomb, the Bomb has a very low rank also.

The Excuse has a special use, and may be played as a single card Bomb to follow any played Single Card. The Excuse, when used as a single card Bomb, can be followed by a Single Card which shares a suit with the card led and must be of equal or higher rank than the Excuse, which is trivial.

When the Excuse is led it acts like a Single Card with no suit. Any Single Card can be played upon it and determines the suit or suits to be followed.

This makes the rest of the topic a little bit unrelevant.

Benski wrote:
First off, this game is good. I enjoy it.

Thank you very much!

I get why you are opting for a variation for the Excuse, with the original rules the Excuse isn't a thrilling card.

Benski wrote:
I like to use the Excuse as an exception card. Normally Crowns, Pawns, and Courts have limitations on how they can be played. The Excuse can be thrown into the mix during any one trick, and for the rest of that trick, the pawns and crowns can be played as straights (still following rank order) and sets.

I like the idea of an 'exception card', but I do'nt really get the rule as you wrote it. What do you mean with 'The Excuse can be thrown into the mix during any one trick'. How exactly can it be thrown into the mix? Can it be only thrown in with straights?

Benski wrote:
I like this variant because the Crowns can only be played as a single card and the single cards don't typically come out until the round is almost over.

Interesting, I have a different experience with the Crowns. Ofcourse, when someone has kept the Crowns in his hands they only come at the end. But in a lot of games people need to play the Crowns early to get the trick and to be able to get rid of their low cards.

I'm eager to know what you exactly mean with your rule, because it could improve the game.

I'm also thinking of another rule to spice the game up a bit. It looks a lot like calling 'Tichu!' in the game Tichu. I'm thinking of a rule which allows you to bet you're going out first. When you manage to do that, you get double the points you would normally get, when you fail you get minus 'n' points, with 'n' the number of people you're playing with. It's just a thought that came up and I would be very happy to hear some comments on this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benski Dayley
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how the Excuse is thrown into the mix:

When it's your turn to play cards, you can first play the excuse and then during the same turn play the group of cards from your hand.

You can play the Excuse from your hand without any other accompanying cards, thus modifying the rules for that one trick, but you won't lead the next trick by playing the Excuse alone.

The modifications are:
Pawns can also be played in straights.
Crowns can also be played in sets and straights.
Aces can act as wild cards for Pawns and Crowns - (ONLY IN STRAIGHTS, just like with the number card straights when there's no Excuse)

The straights still need to follow the similar suit rule and order. Example: 8,9,Pawn,Crown could be a set if they all shared a similar suit.

**Even though this alternate use of the Excuse can be fun. I don't recommend including this variant until the group you're playing with is familiar with the base rules first.**

I hope that helped clarify my vague explanation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benski wrote:
I hope that helped clarify my vague explanation

Yes, that does clarify it indeed. It's a nice alternative for the Excuse, but I have a little problem with it. While designing the game I tried to make a climbing game in which a lot of hands could be possibly a winning hand. There are a lot of climbing games in which you know from the start you'll be the first going out. That takes away a lot of the tension, so I wanted to design a game in which the tension would be present as long as possible.

In Ascend, Crowns are very good, because they are the highest single cards. They have to follow suit though, so they are not always usefull. Pawns and Courts are good too, but only when played as pairs or triples. As a single they are not great at all though. High numbers can make for very good straights, but when you miss just one card, you're left with a lot of rubbish. Low numbers are not so good, but when all the other people pass you low numbers, you can make straights of them easily. Aces are very low, but they come in high numbers and can be uses as coloured jokers. Ofcourse some cards are better than other cards, but all cards have their down- and upsides. When you are dealt a hand, you never know for sure whether it will turn out as a good or a bad hand, and very much depends up on skillfull play.

When playing with this alternative use of the Excuse, the Excuse is immediatly the best card in the game. By playing a combination with the Excuse you can decide when you can use your Pawns, Courts and Crowns as supercards. This gives a major advantage to the player holding the Excuse and that is a little bit against the spirit of the game. I agree it would be nice to give the Excuse a bigger role than it has right now, but I would rather see a more subtle variant (if needed).

If you enjoy your variant though you should keep playing with it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, these kind of thoughts are always well respected.

Seabie wrote:
I'm also thinking of another rule to spice the game up a bit. It looks a lot like calling 'Tichu!' in the game Tichu. I'm thinking of a rule which allows you to bet you're going out first. When you manage to do that, you get double the points you would normally get, when you fail you get minus 'n' points, with 'n' the number of people you're playing with. It's just a thought that came up and I would be very happy to hear some comments on this idea.

I'm still working on this idea right now. I think I will distinguish two kind of bids in the end:

- I will go out first.
- I won't go out last.

If you make your bid, you will get some bonus points. If you don't make your bid, you will get zero points or some negative points. I still have to determine which values I have to attach to these bids, but if I'm done with that I think it will spice the game up a bit. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benski Dayley
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to try it out. Sounds like it could be fun.

Would only one person be able to call 'tichu' like in Tichu? What makes calling 'tichu' in Tichu fun is that one person is now the target. The focus of the game switches from going out to making sure that guy doesn't go out. Also, having a teammate adds a lot to the call because his priority is now to do anything he can to help you go out instead of him.

You could have everyone bid how many tricks they think they'll take, like in the game Wizard.

But again, I'd be willing to try out the Tichu variant if you wrote out some of the specifics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a new thread to discuss the bidding rules. I'll answer your post there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniël, you should [in addition to updating the bidding rules thread] probably note in here the new Excuse rule [also, change the game description on the main page] which makes this alternative use unnecessary on two counts:

1) The Excuse is more interesting now

2) Crowns aren't effectively auto-wins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
3) Your new bomb rules give dramatically more interest to [1/3 of] the Crowns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for noticing, I will change it this weekend when I have the time to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.