7 Posts

Axis & Allies Europe 1940» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Berlin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't yet have a copy of the game but understand Berlin starts with a minor factory. What i'm thinking is it would seriously be worth upgrading it (if possible, i've heard of there being some rule to do with captured major factories being downgraded and heard only they can be upgraded or not???) could some1 answer tht plz as well. Does upgrading berlin have any strategical worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could at some juncture. If you are worried about holding Western Germany, you would want to be able to crank out a full 10 units. Or, if you are so rich you want to put out 20 infantry etc, two major factories could help. This is especially true if you lose Denmark and your capital becomes vulnerable--you would want your production there immediately and not one space away. It could mean the difference of holding or losing your capital in that instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with warpiglet. Though think carefully on the timing of your upgrade. The resources may be better used elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason I see for upgrading the (East)Germany IC would be if production capacity was an issue. West Germany is only one movement point away, and it takes one round to upgrade. As such I think you might as weel have a chain from West Germany marching east trough Berlin.

A related question: Can the IC produce units in the round it is upgraded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it may still produce three units while being upgraded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Willcock
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Maybe not upgrading the factory but what if you built a minor industrial complex in southern germany??? That was you could aid italy and other parts of germany if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Name
msg tools
I personally always upgrade the factory, usually on the second or third turn. The one extra move closer to Russia does make a difference. The only problem is finding a turn where the (rather expensive) monetary setback isn't too painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.