Hide
7 Posts

The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sketching the tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donn Thomson
msg tools
After much anticipation, finally got to play the game. I introduced it to my BIL and FIL, who grasped the rules well enough (well, FIL had a little trouble with the counting dice, and not their values, for actions concept...). So we proceed to play the game, to better learn the rules and work out the kinks as we go, and after a few turns, FIL gets to the lava tiles, and says, "I am pretty sure I can move here, this tile doesn't match my sketch."

Sketch?! What sketch?!

Sure enough, my BIL had done the same thing: they took their five-second look at a clue tile in the walls room, put it back, and then sketched out what it looked like to them on a piece of paper!

Now, in my MANY readings of the rules it never even occurred to me that this would come up, and I have never seen it discussed here. BUT, it's not expressly forbidden that the players couldn't take written notes, including sketches.

I'm sure that the official rule handed down would be that drawing the tiles is illegal, but what do you all here think? Blatantly cheating? Harmless? Certainly it would be a problem if such notes included the Mayan numeral (which these didn't) for future reference. After I expressed surprise and dismay, they stopped sketching the tiles, and on repeat games they were able to navigate the lava room without sketches just fine, so maybe it doesn't matter. But... interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blasphemy. There's no time to take out your pad and pencil and sketch glyphs when walls are closing in upon you! I'm surprised that you were surprised when they mentioned it...didn't you see them when they were drawing it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Blasphemy. There's no time to take out your pad and pencil and sketch glyphs when walls are closing in upon you! I'm surprised that you were surprised when they mentioned it...didn't you see them when they were drawing it out?

I agree! Its supposed to be a memory puzzle ... there's no memory involved if you write it out, etc ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Thomson
msg tools
rcmoore4 wrote:
didn't you see them when they were drawing it out?

I figure I was plotting my next move, or watching one move while the other, move over and tile replaced, went about sketching. I think they were surreptitious about it because they didn't want to share their sketches with anybody else!

So somehow, yes, I was totally surprised when my FIL revealed his sketch! Now, prior to the game, my bro handed out paper and pencils, and my impression was that it was for notes, as this was a new game. I didn't realize he had a specific kind of notes in mind... yet without communicating it aloud they both had the same idea.

That was our first playthrough - after that I think they got the notion that this is not a solve the clue type game, so much press your luck type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you guys remember when Indiana Jones was in Venice, he made a rubbing of the Sir Richard's shield on his knight's sarcophagus?

Of course a sketch could be made...they have 5 seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unrelated to your question, what do BIL and FIL stand for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Unrelated to your question, what do BIL and FIL stand for?

Brother-in-Law & Father-in-Law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.