Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very surpised to see the amount of tiles and parts in the box, and I was slightly dissapointed in my expectations for reasons not yet mentioned here.
The game is supposed to play quickly out of the box, but it comes with so many scenario specific parts that all go in the same space that the monsters and the die go in.
For me this gave some descent flashbacks, where there are millions of individual parts but when you need one of them you spend a long time looking for it.
For me, starting the first scenario looking through what I needed, I had no problems finding Strahd's crypt or the secret exit tile, I didnt have problems finding the tile with Strahd's stats either. What I did have trouble find was the sun token.
Now I know you can use any token provided in the game, or even any coin or other object you can find for this, but they provided us with a sun token.
Now there are 13 scenario's, and each uses all kinda of different tokens and in the end we have a multitude of tokens that kinda become a big mess with the mini's in the same storage space in the tray.
I somehow expected this to be playable quickly out of the box, but sadly the set up time for some of the scenario's will be pretty long just because you have to flesh out and fish out all of the different tokens and tiles you need for it.
One solution would be to bag the components per scenario or so, but I am afraid they will not fit as neatly back into the box anymore then (thought the box has a lot of loose space).
For some of the components like the monster tokens or the crypts I can see making all kinds of twisty little experimental scenario's, but still I feel like the overall "clean-ness" of the product has suffered over the large amount of rarely used components.

I still love the game, but this would be my only problem with it so far, I might be a whiney little bugger or does anyone else feel the same?

I guess I was expecting something more in the lines of claustrophobia's clean box and ready to play out of the box experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heath
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy baggies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How long did it take you to set it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the end I ended up taking all of the stuff from that one part of the box and spread it over the table so I could find the sun stone. I imagine looking through the slightly bigger monster tiles and getting the right ones out for the hag scenario might take slightly longer.
I might be just looking for something to whine about, but I do not like the picture of having to have tupperware cases in a year or two to house all of the components for 36 different scenario's: taking descent with all the expansions with me to my friends house every saturday resulted in me taking the car instead of the bike because it just wouldnt fit anymore. I just hope the DnD boardgames will not go too much in that direction.

To answer your question, it was probably less then 10 minutes to set up, for the simplest scenario in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Baggies, or some other form of organization, are your friend. I went a little nuts and looked through each adventure and bagged the cardboard markers by group that way. I also put most of the HP tokens in one bag but then made five separate little bags made up one 5 HP tokens and five 1 HP tokens.

Using this method it takes about three minutes to open the box, find the adventure, choose a character, pick my Powers (which I'm very familiar with at this point), dump the baggies I need, store the many other bags I don't need in the box top, sort the tiles, and bam! Adventure time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There really isn't a fraction of what's in the Descent box. Any less and even more people of the people who want "D&D Lite" would be up in arms.

So far setup has just been a couple minutes - ok maybe 5, for us and I actually added some extra bits to pimp it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For games like this I use alot of the Plano brand tackle boxes you can buy. I put each different type of counter in another compartment. Then when I play I just open the box, when I need a counter I pull it out. When its used up i put it back in the box. Really helps with set up and tear down time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution:

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, planos.

You could always get a glass counter and use it as "the token" in a scenario. Glass counters are way more pimp than cardboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Ameritrash boardgamers *like* the fiddly bits?

But like the others said, boxes and bags are your friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played another game a relized there is space beneath the cards for cardboard.

I put the long marquee condition tiles and the square monster tiles and the rectangle monster condition tiles under the floor tiles and the square encounter tiles and the round healing surge tiles under the cards. Everything else is in one baggie in the main compartment and there is room to spare. Also included is the glass bits I've been using for hero health. I will probably break out the small tokens into 2 or 3 baggies thou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out Superhawk, it seems beneath the tiles there is also a lot more space, all the monster tokens fit on one side for example.
This really made the difference for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have more patience than me.

When a scenario calls for a particular token (the sun marker, Klak's artifact, whatever) and it is not in view, I grab the closest token not being used in that scenario and use that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Charbonneau
Canada
Montreal
Qc
flag msg tools
mb
i pick up a compartement box at the dollars store for 2$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.