Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I saw GT (3 years ago) I HAD to have it. Since I was new to the hobby, I didn't realize it was completely new and still 8 months away! Man, that was a long 8 months.

It's almost my all time favorite and I am constantly scouring this web site for other games. I think I'm always looking for another Galaxy Trucker.

What other games are similar?

(Edit: besides Dungeon Lords)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In what ways do you want something like GT? The real-time puzzle aspect? Preparing for certain disaster as best as possible? The humor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the real time puzzle, the spatial awareness needed as one builds a ship, the cartoony-ness, the 'size' of the game (non-filler) and the theme.

Any game that has most of these would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There is really nothing like Galaxy Trucker.

However, Vlaada Chvátil's Space Alert has:
thumbsup A real time puzzle
thumbsup A need for spatial awareness
thumbsup Cartoony-ness
thumbsup Non-filler (despite a short length)
thumbsup Sweet theme

Have you looked into it at all? It is co-op, but it is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as I'm sure you know as a GT and Chvatil fan, Space Alert has a very similar theme, humorous instruction manual, cartoony-ness, size, and real-time puzzle aspect. Spatial awareness aspect isn't quite there in the same way, though.

The other game I'd recommend for you is Factory Fun, but that's a bit hard to come by, these days.

EDIT: Ninjaed! Well, Space Alert is the obvious next thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played anything like Galaxy Trucker. It is unique, as most of Vlaada's designs seem to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say give a try to Vlaada's Dungeon Lords. First it might seem a bit more complex than GT (it is) but it's also lots of fun, light humor, creativity, also a two-phase stuff with building in the first phase (creating dungeons), trying to be prepared for the second phase where you are attacked and your stuff is (possibly) destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
The other game I'd recommend for you is Factory Fun, but that's a bit hard to come by, these days.

But supposedly a FF reprint is on the way!

Factory Fun was an inspiration for creating Galaxy Trucker (I have heard from GT's publisher).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the comedic, grim sci-fi theme, the actual similarity with Space Alert is the notion of putting together a plan and then seeing how it holds up. It is co-op, however, and this along with a few other things makes it feel quite different. You may love the Vlaada style regardless.

Dungeon Lords also has the "set up and see if it holds up in the resolution round" design, but I feel it is much more different from the other two.

Another game that has a similar feel to Galaxy Trucker, for me at least, is RoboRally. It has the element of setting up with limited resources and then hoping your plan worked out the way you wanted it to. The programmed movement is similar to Space Alert, but the feeling of chaos also reminds me of Galaxy Trucker. You could almost imagine Vlaada having designed this game after seeing Galaxy Trucker and Space Alert. I wonder if he likes RoboRally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus but don't take turns. Play it real time. That is intense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be looking into these games shortly.

I have Space Alert but have only managed to get in out twice - very fun.

I was pretty sure Galaxy Trucker was in a class all by itself but wanted to check anyways. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
___OO\\ ...::::..:.:.
mb
Wasabi may be close to what you are looking for:

Cartoony, there is a table of sushi ingredients you all share, and can rearrange puzzle-y..

Wasabi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Wasabi! and have played it dozens of times. A great game. I dunno, maybe Dungeon Lords needs a much closer look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.