Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is mostly for anyone from Z-Man to address, but feel free to chime in with an opinion.

I picked up Road Kill Rally at World Boardgaming Championships and the game has been a real hit with our local gaming group. We've played two full-length 6-player games, and they've been great fun. (Last night the winner scored 530 points ... last place was 30 points, and every wipe out token was used.) But we've developed some questions along the way:

1) The Road Accident tile:

It's been pretty well established in other threads that the Jump Jets accessory and the Pass cards can't be used to bypass the obstacles printed on the tiles, and that driving through the Debris and Oil will require a 3 dice crash check (unless you have the 4-wheel drive accessory).

2) Rock Slide / Cow Hazard tile:

Any space with a printed rock (cow) hazard will add 2 more dice to the crash check (unless you have the ram plates accessory). Jump Jets and Pass will not help avoid the boulders (cows).

3) The Pits tile:

What happens when a driver who's already wiped out 3 times gets to the pits? We decided that he gets a pit stop anyways, even though he couldn't play a 'pit stop' card.

4) Protestor Barricade tile:

The penalties for First, Second, and subsequent cars through the barricade are the number of dice of damage to take, NOT the number of cards to discard.

5) Forest Fire tile:

It's clear that you can't target a car on this tile, but I had a weapon combination that gave me a range of 6, and I was on the tile before Forest Fire (a straight) and I could reach the driver ahead of me (who was on the tile AFTER Forest Fire, also a straight). We decided that I had line-of-sight on the car ahead of me, and could shoot him, since he was no longer on the Forest Fire tile. Was this correct?

6) Changing lanes on hairpins / sharp curves. Or what does "next to you" or "ahead of you" mean when the spaces aren't evenly matched?

Any of the sharp right turns have 2 spaces on the outside lane and 1 space on the inside lane. The hairpin turns have a variable number of spaces in each lane depending upon the curve. This makes sense for speed, but it becomes murkier if you're trying to change lanes (or target someone without a turret).

If you took a hairpin and straightened it out, it might look something like this:

+----+---------+--------+---------+----+
| L1 | L2 | L3 | L4 | L5 | Left lane
+----+-+----+--+-+----+-+--+----+-+----+
| R1 | R2 | R3 | R4 | R5 | R6 | R7 | Right lane
+------+----+----+----+----+----+------+

For the purposes of this example, R1, L2, L3, L4, and R7 have red borders, and all of the others have orange borders. With this in mind, can you:

* Lane-change from R1-L2? (yes)
* Lane-change from L1-R2? (no)
* Lane-change from R2-L2? (no)
* Lane-change from L2-R3? (yes)
* Lane-change from R3-L3? (yes)
* Lane-change from L3-R5? (yes)
* Lane-change from R5-L4? (yes)
* Lane-change from R6-L5? (no)
* Lane-change from L4-R7? (yes)

And with regards to grenades, bumps and other 'side' attacks:

* Is R1 next to L2? (no)
* Is R2 next to L2? (yes)
* Is L2 next to R3? (no)
* Is R3 next to L3? (no)
* Is R4 next to L3? (yes)
* Is L3 next to R5? (no)
* Is R5 next to L4? (no)
* Is R5 next to L4? (yes)
* Is L4 next to R6? (no)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel George
United States
Orcutt
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job on this.

I am glad you are having fun with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Were we correct in deciding that you can shoot *through* the Forest Fire, as long as you had range on a car in the next tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I would agree with comments 1) to 4), whilst the Forest Fire tile does say "cars on the tile" I would still take it that you couldn't fire through- but if the designer agrees then fair enough.

With regards to your "sides" analysis, I would have gone with anything that shares a common side (even if only partially) - therefore would allow R1 next to L2

cheers
Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I believe the Forest Fire tile says something to the effect that line of sight is blocked through all the squares.

Either way, that you could see through a tile of smoke doesn't seem right to me and I play that you can't.

That you can't target anyone on those spaces just makes sure that you can't hit them with an attack which you don't need LOS for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wcraigtrader wrote:
This is mostly for anyone from Z-Man to address, but feel free to chime in with an opinion.

I picked up Road Kill Rally at World Boardgaming Championships and the game has been a real hit with our local gaming group. We've played two full-length 6-player games, and they've been great fun. (Last night the winner scored 530 points ... last place was 30 points, and every wipe out token was used.) But we've developed some questions along the way:

1) The Road Accident tile:

It's been pretty well established in other threads that the Jump Jets accessory and the Pass cards can't be used to bypass the obstacles printed on the tiles, and that driving through the Debris and Oil will require a 3 dice crash check (unless you have the 4-wheel drive accessory).

2) Rock Slide / Cow Hazard tile:

Any space with a printed rock (cow) hazard will add 2 more dice to the crash check (unless you have the ram plates accessory). Jump Jets and Pass will not help avoid the boulders (cows).

3) The Pits tile:

What happens when a driver who's already wiped out 3 times gets to the pits? We decided that he gets a pit stop anyways, even though he couldn't play a 'pit stop' card.

4) Protestor Barricade tile:

The penalties for First, Second, and subsequent cars through the barricade are the number of dice of damage to take, NOT the number of cards to discard.

5) Forest Fire tile:

It's clear that you can't target a car on this tile, but I had a weapon combination that gave me a range of 6, and I was on the tile before Forest Fire (a straight) and I could reach the driver ahead of me (who was on the tile AFTER Forest Fire, also a straight). We decided that I had line-of-sight on the car ahead of me, and could shoot him, since he was no longer on the Forest Fire tile. Was this correct?

6) Changing lanes on hairpins / sharp curves. Or what does "next to you" or "ahead of you" mean when the spaces aren't evenly matched?

Any of the sharp right turns have 2 spaces on the outside lane and 1 space on the inside lane. The hairpin turns have a variable number of spaces in each lane depending upon the curve. This makes sense for speed, but it becomes murkier if you're trying to change lanes (or target someone without a turret).

If you took a hairpin and straightened it out, it might look something like this:

+----+---------+--------+---------+----+
| L1 | L2 | L3 | L4 | L5 | Left lane
+----+-+----+--+-+----+-+--+----+-+----+
| R1 | R2 | R3 | R4 | R5 | R6 | R7 | Right lane
+------+----+----+----+----+----+------+

For the purposes of this example, R1, L2, L3, L4, and R7 have red borders, and all of the others have orange borders. With this in mind, can you:

* Lane-change from R1-L2? (yes)
* Lane-change from L1-R2? (no)
* Lane-change from R2-L2? (no)
* Lane-change from L2-R3? (yes)
* Lane-change from R3-L3? (yes)
* Lane-change from L3-R5? (yes)
* Lane-change from R5-L4? (yes)
* Lane-change from R6-L5? (no)
* Lane-change from L4-R7? (yes)

And with regards to grenades, bumps and other 'side' attacks:

* Is R1 next to L2? (no)
* Is R2 next to L2? (yes)
* Is L2 next to R3? (no)
* Is R3 next to L3? (no)
* Is R4 next to L3? (yes)
* Is L3 next to R5? (no)
* Is R5 next to L4? (no)
* Is R5 next to L4? (yes)
* Is L4 next to R6? (no)

I know it might be obvious but you left out L1 to R1. I'm going to say that you can't change lanes, but your next to them for grenades, bumps and other 'side' attacks.

And the last 2 above. I think you meant is R6 next to L4, and then is L4 next to R7. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the lane change in a turn question answered? It all seems pretty murky and open to interpretation. (AKA, if you are correct in your examples, it doesn't really seem like there is a hard and fast rule. Yuck.) I just played this game for the first time last night and we played it that you could change lanes as long as the space you were entering was longer (since you could still move forward of the space you had just left.) That being said, it seemed pretty abusive, as you could burn a lot of speed and barely move in the hair pin corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vladdswrath wrote:
Was the lane change in a turn question answered? It all seems pretty murky and open to interpretation. (AKA, if you are correct in your examples, it doesn't really seem like there is a hard and fast rule. Yuck.) I just played this game for the first time last night and we played it that you could change lanes as long as the space you were entering was longer (since you could still move forward of the space you had just left.) That being said, it seemed pretty abusive, as you could burn a lot of speed and barely move in the hair pin corners.
You can only change lane into a section of track whose back edge is in front of the back edge of the section you are in and whose front edge is in front of the front edge of the section you are in. Or that's the way we interpret it.

[edit: added the front edge clause]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forward and Sideways has always bugged me. I am at odds with most of the guys in my game group.

Attached is what I believe are allowed moves using a sample of curves.

The light blue arrows indicate legal forward moves.

The yellow arrows are when two spaces are considered next to each other.

I would be interested in everyone's feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@emcher: you appear to be using the same set of rules as me (though I've updated my post to use both the front and back edges of the compared sections, which I thought was implied, but on reflection feel it needs to be explicitly stated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 1st set of lane changes in the 90 degree turn tile (the cows) might violate mccrispy's rule of thumb. That looks to be a pure diagonal move, which feels odd. Otherwise though, I think your rule is a handy way to deal with the confusion...Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vladdswrath wrote:
I think the 1st set of lane changes in the 90 degree turn tile (the cows) might violate mccrispy's rule of thumb. That looks to be a pure diagonal move, which feels odd. Otherwise though, I think your rule is a handy way to deal with the confusion...Thanks!
Looks all right to me! There is no overlapping of sections at all on those first lane changes; they are standard sequential sections. (i.e both the front and back edges of the new section are in front of the front edge of your current section - and therefore in front of the current section's back edge too.) Diagonal moves are allowed, it's the standard "passing manoeuvre" - you're allowed to squeeze between two cars this way (Car A is in the section next to you and there's a car immediately in front of you, you move to immediately in front of Car A). I agree it feels odd, but them's the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Thanks again for tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Alaska
msg tools
Why did the Chicken tile:
Is the chicken treated like a pedestrian? Can pedestrian modifiers be used to supplement your dice roll eg Psychopathic Driver?

Death Cult tile:
"If the result is a double star, discard four rally cards for advancing the destruction of mankind"
If you do not have four Rally cards, do you Wipe Out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.