Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5+ year old basic simple LG phone is losing its ability to hold a charge. Of course, I could just get a new battery, but I'm tempted now to get a smartphone.

But I'm kinda torn about what to get - an iPhone might be an easy pick, since I've got a Mac at home. The new Android phones are also tempting. Anyone have strong opinions one way or another (wait, I just asked for strong opinions in chit chat...)

Not interested in Blackberry products or anything running a Microsoft OS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmb
If you're interested in playing games on your phone, iPhone is the best bet right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
If you're interested in playing games on your phone, iPhone is the best bet right now.
If I had any money for this sort of thing, I'd be buying an iPhone pronto. Small World, Samurai, Tichu, Mu & More, Roll Through the Ages and possible a few others are available for it.

Better list: iPad Board Games: Multiplayer and Available Now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
sbszine wrote:
If I had any money for this sort of thing, I'd be buying an iPhone pronto. Small World, Samurai, Tichu, Mu & More, Roll Through the Ages and possible a few others are available for it.

I don't think all of those games are for the iPhone, just the iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
kinross_19 wrote:
spearjr wrote:
sbszine wrote:

I don't think all of those games are for the iPhone, just the iPad.
Each geeklist entry has info on if the game is available for just the iPad, or both, many were both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an iPhone (the 3Gs) which is great (and I certainly would not go back to a non smartphone) when you are in an area that has decent AT&T service and next to worthless when you are not. [I think the 4 has problems given its antenna placement, but that is just based on what I have heard.]

My brother picked up the Android recently and has been happy with it so far. Verizon does seem to have a more wide ranging network. So, when we got away from the city he was able to make more use of the Droid than I was the iPhone.

So, I don't know if the phone makes too big a difference, but the network certainly does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
So, I don't know if the phone makes too big a difference, but the network certainly does.

Here in Canada, the "big three" providers (Telus, Bell, Rogers/Fido) all have pretty good coverage in urban areas.

I "don't care" about playing board games on my phone, although it's a nice convenience.

I care a lot about email interface (Gmail), a little bit about BGG, Facebook, and other such sites, a lot about ease of texting, and somewhere in between about apps. I don't know what apps I want yet, because I haven't had a smartphone before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm in the same boat as you. I need a new cellphone but my brain has it a vaporlock trying to figure out what to buy.

Cellphone of smartphone?
Verizon or At&T?
What brand of phone to buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you. I need a new cellphone but my brain has it a vaporlock trying to figure out what to buy.

Cellphone of smartphone?
Verizon or At&T?
What brand of phone to buy?

Yeah, I'm torn about just replacing my phone with another phone, but the rate plans are now competitively priced so that smartphones are in the same ballpark as my basic phone plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
thorndor wrote:

Here in Canada, the "big three" providers (Telus, Bell, Rogers/Fido) all have pretty good coverage in urban areas.

I "don't care" about playing board games on my phone, although it's a nice convenience.

I care a lot about email interface (Gmail), a little bit about BGG, Facebook, and other such sites, a lot about ease of texting, and somewhere in between about apps. I don't know what apps I want yet, because I haven't had a smartphone before.

gmail along with google voice is built right into the android phone. I love my droid. I would suggest the droid 2 that just came out if you wan t a hardware keyboard. the droid x that also just came out has a massive 4.3" screen, but no hardware keyboard. Plus, I would worry that the size would make it less portable.

And BTW, the "iPhone is better than Android because of the apps" arguments is just about finished. There are 10s of thousands of apps for the android (~119K according to AndroLib.com)--I've yet to find a wanted app that android didn't have one of in it's market, most for $1.99 or less, and lots free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:

gmail along with google voice is built right into the android phone. I love my droid. I would suggest the droid 2 that just came out if you wan t a hardware keyboard. the droid x that also just came out has a massive 4.3" screen, but no hardware keyboard. Plus, I would worry that the size would make it less portable.

I was hesitant to get an iphone bc of the lack of hardware keyboard. Now, I can't imagine what I would do with one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
thorndor wrote:

I think you will find that whatever smartphone you get you will be happy with it bc it is such a big upgrade over a regular phone.

The email interface on the iphone is quite good. I actually prefer to check my mail on my phone bc I can check all my accounts at once. I am sure droid does something similar and don't believe that this is a reason to choose one over the other, but do believe it is a reason to get a smart phone. I don't think there is anyone way to be sure which smartphone is the "right" one for you until you get one and try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
I was hesitant to get an iphone bc of the lack of hardware keyboard. Now, I can't imagine what I would do with one.

I guarantee that unless you are a teen that does nothing but practice their phone txting, that I can type faster than you on my droid hardware keyboard. I use it for text messages, emails, crossword puzzles.

The droid has a software keyboard too, and the only time i use it is when I'm sending a 2 word text response, or typing a 2 word url address. And even then sometimes I give up and flip open the hardware keyboard if I've made 5 mistakes trying to hit a letter on a far side, or not properly switching between the number and letter screens.

thorndor wrote:
I think you will find that whatever smartphone you get you will be happy with it bc it is such a big upgrade over a regular phone.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
And BTW, the "iPhone is better than Android because of the apps" arguments is just about finished. There are 10s of thousands of apps for the android (~119K according to AndroLib.com)--I've yet to find a wanted app that android didn't have one of in it's market, most for $1.99 or less, and lots free.

Found any Reiner Knizia games on the Android? to name but one example that shows that argument isn't done yet.

(Incidentally I expect the gap to disappear, but you're jumping the gun to say that time is now.)

I have an iPhone, I'm typing this on it. But I don't view it as a phone, smart or otherwise. It's a small computer (on the Internet of course) I can put in my pocket that I can also make phone calls with (and also take photographs with, though I rarely do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using Treos for the past 6 or 7 years and just upgraded to a Droid X and I love it. I thought I'd hate the software keyboard but it's much easier than I thought to type on it, especially with "swype", which allows me to type without lifting my finger from the screen. I can't compare it to an iPhone, but this particular Android phone has been fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally waiting for a non-AT&T iPhone. I'm a cellphone Luddite - I only got my first one about 5 or 6 years ago when my work got one for me.

Since then, I got the cheapest one I could get - a pre-pay basic phone.

Mind you, I'd love to have an iPhone (I do own an iPad). Just be sure to recognize the total cost of ownership (life of contract + cost of hardware), which settles in at about $2600 for two years, if I recall correctly. I know for most folks who pay for full plans on their cell phones, that's no big deal. For me, I have had my discretionary income arranged otherwise - hence the cheap phone. My total plan for two years comes in at about $210.

As for Droid vs. iPhone, go play with 'em. The best argument I've heard is if you intend to use the phone as a music player, many folks prefer the iPhone for that.

Also, while I have a love/hate relationship with Apple, they are very, very good that their user interfaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Mind you, I'd love to have an iPhone (I do own an iPad). Just be sure to recognize the total cost of ownership (life of contract + cost of hardware), which settles in at about $2600 for two years, if I recall correctly.

My current provider's got a special on a refurb 3GS for $50 with a 3 year contract @ $50/month including some data (no unlimited data plans in Canada, from any vendor), which is a TCO of $1850 (plus tax).

Androids are between $150-300 depending on model, again based on the same 3 year contract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently also looking into buying one of these smartphones (A phone that's smarter than me? That's easy!). Unfortunately, my company only supports Blackberry Enterprise Server, so I'll probably have to go with one of them. I don't like Blackberries very much, but I hear they have that new Torch out. Anyone has experience with that one?

If I was not to go with a Blackberry, I would love to have an IPhone. Now, from what I understand, its currently only being offered by AT&T. If I understood this correctly, AT&T has a 2GB data limit built in their plan. Anything above that is being charged extra. Is that correct?

Since I travel a lot abroad, I am probably limited to GSM phones (AT&T and T-Mobile) to stay available internationally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about it other than the few articles I read today, but if you're going to write your own applications--WHICH YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO DO--it sounds like the development environment is better for Android than for iPhone? (Maybe unless you're already familiar with Objective C?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Dearlove wrote:

I have an iPhone, I'm typing this on it. But I don't view it as a phone, smart or otherwise. It's a small computer (on the Internet of course) I can put in my pocket that I can also make phone calls with (and also take photographs with, though I rarely do).

A small computer? Unless it's jailbreaked, it's more like a small video game console devil

Seriously: While it's true that some people, sadly including Reiner Knizia, are not enlightened to develop for Android as well as iphone, the potential of an open platform is just fundamentally better. Just recently a friend of me showed me old Civilization on his Android phone. Running in DosBox on Android!
Try googling "[something] emulator iphone" vs "[something] emulator android". For iphone, you usually get forum posts with people requesting it, or talking about it, occasionally rumors of an "official" app. For Android, they just are there, despite the Android platform's lower popularity. The App store TOS and the development kit TOS aren't just an annoyance to developers - it seems like it does a good job of keeping good stuff away from users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
Just recently a friend of me showed me old Civilization on his Android phone. Running in DosBox on Android!

Wait, hold on, they have DosBox for Android now? And there is anyone that still says iPhones are better!?

[off to find Android DosBox]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I don't know anything about it other than the few articles I read today, but if you're going to write your own applications--WHICH YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO DO--it sounds like the development environment is better for Android than for iPhone? (Maybe unless you're already familiar with Objective C?)

The last time I actually wrote code for anything was back in 1987. I seem to recall poking at some C stuff a couple years after that, but it's locked away in some dusty corner of my brain in one of those archival boxes.

So, I'm relying on OtherPeople(tm) to write the applications I may want to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
thorndor wrote:

Roger already knows I have an iPhone, but I'd highly recommend the 3Gs. Unless you're in need of the dual camera, there's really not a lot else the 4 does that an OS4-upgraded 3Gs can't. I use gmail as my default email and it works perfectly. The BGG app is superb (don't know if there is an Android version). In fact it's easier to record plays using that app than on BGG itself! If you can get used to the touchscreen instead of a real keyboard, texting is fine. And apps? Well, there's probably an app that rates all the apps...something like 6 gazillion of them.

I got my wife an iPad for her birthday. Woohoo! Small World here I come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
vintermann wrote:
Just recently a friend of me showed me old Civilization on his Android phone. Running in DosBox on Android!

Wait, hold on, they have DosBox for Android now? And there is anyone that still says iPhones are better!?

[off to find Android DosBox]

Looks like only an early alpha version is available so far: http://androiddosbox.appspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Dell has some new droid phones that are released now. But the Streak only has version 1.6

I'm due for a new phone too, but I will wait until Dell has Android 2.2, which is supposed to be before the end of the year.

I played with one for a while, and it's pretty snazzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.