Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

i am new to wargaming hobby and because my girlfriends studies something about history (restauration and conservation of archeology objects) i get confronted with history all the time. I want to read about the most importent periods of WAR in history, but as always WHERE TO START.

Which book do you think are a must-read when i comes down to the history of war. (best they are also published in german^^...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple and enjoyable way is simply to head down to a bookshop or the library. Browse around and say you find something that you fancy like.. The Pacific War.. there are voluminous books and introductory books on this subject period alone. Grab the introductory, go to a corner, sit, read, sip a hot cup of coffee (if there's a cafe) and go from there.

You can search everything online, even use Google books to preview some or a publishers site like Osprey..but.. do take that walk to the bookshop or library...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i thought maybe there are some perfect books to start with... true classics... from my girlfriend i know there are so many bad books about history that i think it is not easy to pick one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interest for napoleonic era was risen when reading (and watching) Cornwell's Sharpe's series - at first in India and later on in Pennisular War. The series are also uploaded in Youtube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just reading Agincourt by Juliet Barker. Loads of research and its full of fascinating background and incidental detail that brings it all to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharpe is ordered :-)
it is not a book but... ^^ i feel that i like it.

books i think are best when you learn how the people lived (and maybe have feelt) the days and also get a sence of the warfare and military tactics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Wallendael
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest anything written by John Keagan (maybe Keegan) for a good overall history of warfare. For World War 1 a must read is The Guns of August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
evil_puck wrote:
Which book do you think are a must-read when i comes down to the history of war. (best they are also published in german^^...)

I haven't read it, in fact I'm not much into military history at all (despite being a historian and a wargamer), but the German Amazon once recommended this book to me, which seems to be a good place to start, at least for the 20th centuriy: Gesichter des Krieges: Der Wandel bewaffneter Konflikte von 1900 bis heute by Martin van Creveld (it was originally written in English).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vycichl
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would read books starting with the classical antiquity Rome and Greece, mainly. Authors like Adrian Goldsworthy John Peddie and Yann le Bohec have written a lot about the roman army andits battle. Look on amazon.com or amazon.de for a research with these names.

You have also a series by Hans Delbrück, a German author, of 4 books about the art of war from antiquity to the modern times.

In addition a book covering several periods and battle like CARNAGE & CULTURE by Victor Davis Hanson is very interesting also, I strongly advise it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never like reading in school, but then I found a book called Battle Fields of the Civil War, which Lead me to Battles and Leaders of the Civil War 4 very interesting books that has lead me to reading over 1,200 military, history books. so you never know what you are going to like in reading history. I like land battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hans Hans Delbrück ist very very old ... outdated but you get many many pages very cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cowles
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crecy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warren-Ellis-Crecy-Raulo-Caceres/dp/...

The Battle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1843543109/ref=s9_simh_gw...

Andrew Roberts
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-Roberts/e/B001ILHJEU/ref=ntt_...
Particularly: The Storm of War
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storm-War-History-Second-World/dp/01...

I would also recommend reading such novels as Harry Turtledove's How Few Remain
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Few-Remain-Harry-Turtledove/dp/0...
and other Alternate Histories, because they make you realise how fragile the balance of now is, given the remarkable idiosyncrasies upon which some battles turned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Napoleonic era "The Campaigns Of Napoleon" and/or "The Dictionary Of The Napoleonic Wars" by David Chandler

"The Face Of Batle" by John Keegan for the changing nature of warfare from Agincourt via Waterloo to WWI

Panzer Leader by General Heinz Guderian is good for WWII armoured warfare but very detailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland

Try reading A War Like No Other by Victor D Hanson. It is a comprehensive read on the Peloponnesian War with some keen insights. Gives you a background on all Ancient Battles of that Period between the City States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roland, you definately must have a look at:

Great Military Battles by Cyril Falls

Some of the most important battles of the period from Rocroi up to Stalingrad are described and contains maps,pictures and description of follwoing:

-Rocroi, Poltava, Blenheim, rossbach, Bunker Hill, Saratoga, York Town,
-Jena, Borodino, Waterloo, Balaclava, Bull Run, Gettysburg, Gravelotte / St. Privat, Tannenberg, Le Marne, Caporetto, Fall Gelb, El Alamein, Stalingrad.

great book to tart as it coveres all periods after 1600 AD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Starting with the 19th and 20th centuries, obviously the Napoleonic Wars, the American Civil War and World Wars I and II. I am sure there is alot on those (other than possibly the ACW) in German. In fact in many cases I wish some of it was more accessible in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not start with Herodotus? (It's available in German!)

Honestly, it's an amazing read: lots of battles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Olsson
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
The red badge of courage, by Stephen Crane, for the individual infantryman's point of view from the American civil war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, if you want to read a good war account, Antony Beevor's "Stalingrad" is excellent. It is in german as well, I believe. Check out amazon.de and search the author.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My area of specialty is the American Civil War. It's very difficult to recommend just one book for any conflict and the civil war is no exception. Most civil war buffs would recommend Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James McPherson. I mention it simply because I know it's a popular choice. It's a broad scale and for me it's simply to broad scale which is why I don't recommend it as much as others.

For myself I recommend The Sword of Lincoln: The Army of the Potomac by Jeffry Wert. It's a more narrow focus than McPherson's book but with it's focus on the Virginian theater in the war and Lincoln's relationships with the commanders of the Army of the Potomac I think it's a superb first book on the subject. I myself read it years after I started studying the war so I knew most of the things in the book already but I found it's extremely enjoyable and with Wert's excellent writing skills it's a surprisingly strong page turner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the one that I started out with was "Barbarossa" by Alan Clark. Very good account of the Eastern Front on WWII. Also there are the books by Shelby Foote on the American Civil War:

* The Civil War: A Narrative. Vol 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville
* The Civil War: A Narrative. Vol 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian
* The Civil War: A Narrative. Vol 3: Red River to Appomattox

Cant go wrong with those three
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Bonnard
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the PAcific War, two books really fascinated me.
The fist one is by Spector, the eagle against the sun, a solid one book account of the WAr.
The second one is The Rising Sun, by John Toland, a facinating account of the war from the japanese side. Toland won with this one the pulitzer price and it's amply deserved.
I like too the Pacific WAr by Costello.

As was already written, Keegan is a very good military historian, and I loved The face of battle, the mask of ommand and 6 armies in normandy and found its histroy of warfare a particulary illuminating book.

On the 1940 campaign, the book by Karl Heinz Frieser Blitzkrieg Legende, Der Westfeldzug 1940 is a must read and on of the best military book I ever read.

On the eastern front, Glantz wrote several books on the subjects, and I really liekd his one book account of the war, when titans clashed. On the subject of the deshumanisation of the german army, I recommend Omer Bartov's Hitler's army, soldiers, nazis andwar in the third war.
John Ericksson account of the war, The road to stalingrad and the road to Berlin, are classic reading and fascinating books.

Julien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed Shelby Foote a lot although his southern bias gets a little irritating at times, particularly his use of nicknames for all the southern generals. For me it just detracts a bit from what otherwise was an excellent work. I have also enjoyed reading Stephen Sears books "Landscape turned Red" and "Gettysburg". At some point I think I'll get his "To the gates of Richmond" and Chancellorsville" as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently read Nigel Bagnall's book "The Punic Wars". I've no idea if it is available in German, but it is a very clear explanation of the the 3 periods of warfare between Carthage and Rome.

(ISBN 0-7126-6608-7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.