Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Heinecke
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I just stumbled upon a house rule on F:AT saying
"We simply added one more option for your turn - now you can rest, visit the village, delve the dungeon, or prepare. When you prepare, you discard as many cards as you want, and redraw that many, and then your turn is over. This new rule found extensive use, and we proceeded to play the best game of Thunderstone I've ever seen. No more discarding the one hero you need because you couldn't pull light. No more buying the crappy weapon because you can't afford the good one. Just lose a turn, and come back to it next time."
(Taken from here)

Sounds very interesting to me and I'll give it a try. What do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hieken wrote:
"We simply added one more option for your turn - now you can rest, visit the village, delve the dungeon, or prepare. When you prepare, you discard as many cards as you want, and redraw that many, and then your turn is over. This new rule found extensive use, and we proceeded to play the best game of Thunderstone I've ever seen. No more discarding the one hero you need because you couldn't pull light. No more buying the crappy weapon because you can't afford the good one. Just lose a turn, and come back to it next time."
(Taken from here)

Sounds very interesting to me and I'll give it a try. What do you think about it?

I haven't tried it yet but I will- looks good. He(the variant creator) made mention of it on the TS boards within the last couple of days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider it game breaking and would create for an uninteresting play experience.

The goal is to tune your deck, not your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I consider it game breaking and would create for an uninteresting play experience.

I'm the first one to say that the game 'as is' is a great game and "works". No, there's no need to mod it. That being said, I think a variant like the one suggested is fine for occasional play. I think there's a difference between "game breaking" and "game changing".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

No matter how well tuned the deck is, sometimes your hand is terrible.

Conversely, if you haven't tuned your deck, all the redraws in the world will not save you.

I like the sound of this change and may try it in my next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an interesting variant to me. It'll make the game easier for sure. Might be a good way to introduce people to the game; they'll be less likely to become too frustrated to quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hieken wrote:
(Taken from here)

What is F:AT?

Neat idea. The balance comes from losing your turn to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
What is F:AT?

Fortress: Ameritrash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Heinecke
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time I will try this and report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first games I played of Thunderstone were, of course, with the rules as they're written. Then we introduced the "Prepare" variant and used it the next couple of games. It made the game play more quickly which, to some people, is a positive step. HOWEVER, it does make it a lot easier to get into the dungeon to kill a monster. So if you want to make the game a bit easier and faster, use the variant. If you love the game the way it is, ignore it. It's not a game breaker, just smoothes things out.

Update after a game last night. We played by the basic rules, and I find I prefer the game that way than with the "Prepare" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.