Subject: Which Dominion Expansion should I get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Lau
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
I have the basic set of Dominion. Which set would you recommend as a good step up in game play and why? I used to be a MTG player, so I can handle complicated game play.

I know Intrigue is a standalone, but I would consider buying that as well.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought them "in order" and it worked very well for my playgroup. I'd get Intrigue next. It adds a lot of elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Buy them all. In order. :-D
works out great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Buy Intrigue next. The base set is fine for learning the game, but it's got a couple of holes that Intrigue patches up. The base set and Intrigue together form a very good core set of cards for advanced players which the other sets build on and diverge from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Owens
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough Call,

I own all of them. I can Say that I rank them like this -

Intrigue
Prosperity
Dominion
Seaside
Alchemy

I really enjoy the big money and big actions of prosperity and some of the interactions with intrigue.

I felt that alchemy was a bit of a one trick pony with potions and seaside is good but those duration cards sometimes annoy me.

-Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Justed wanted to say thanks to all of you who responded, as I appreciate the insight into what games to purchase. Originally when I purchased the games, I skipped 'Intrigue' as I had read some negative comments about it and playing with the family. I then purchased all of the rest (including promo cards).

After reviewing the comments above I just ordered 'Intrigue' and will include it from now on.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Agreed. Buy Intrigue next. The base set is fine for learning the game, but it's got a couple of holes that Intrigue patches up. The base set and Intrigue together form a very good core set of cards for advanced players which the other sets build on and diverge from.

Matt,

I've got all the sets except Prosperity. I was never aware of any "holes" in the base game. Out of curiosity, what are they? Sorry, don't mean to thread jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
uniconfis wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

Matt,

I've got all the sets except Prosperity. I was never aware of any "holes" in the base game. Out of curiosity, what are they? Sorry, don't mean to thread jack.

With the exception of a few cards there is little to no player interaction. And even those few attacks do very little to mess you up. Militia is probably the worst of the bunch. Even that is easily overcome if there are any +actions and +cards like village or festival and smithy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
With the exception of a few cards there is little to no player interaction. And even those few attacks do very little to mess you up. Militia is probably the worst of the bunch. Even that is easily overcome if there are any +actions and +cards like village or festival and smithy.

Ok, I was aware of that but never really tought of them as holes. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With out attack cards its kinda like playing golf. Sure your end score is compared to other people but you can play by yourself just fine too. :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uniconfis wrote:

Well, keep in mind that this is all just my opinion based on my experience with the game. When I say that the base set has holes, what I mean is that there are certain elements that are underrepresented when compared to the set of all published Kingdom cards.

The first hole is a lack of versatile trashing cards. There are four trashing cards in the base set. Mine only lets you trash Treasures and Moneylender goes a step further in only allowing you to trash Coppers. These are very useful cards, but they're not versatile. Remodel is versatile, but a bit situational and lackluster. Chapel is the most powerful trashing card, but it doesn't do anything else. One of the main upshots of this is that Witch is a lot more powerful than it otherwise would be because Curses are very hard to get rid of. You can Remodel them, but you don't usually want Estates either and you only need so many Moats, Chapels, and Cellars in your deck. Consequently, Chapel is also very powerful, both because it's the most efficient trashing card in the set but also because it's really the only effective way to get rid of Curse cards.

Once you add Masquerade, Steward, Trading Post, and Upgrade, Curses don't seem so bad and you can incorporate some moderate deck-thinning into your deck without using Chapel.

The second hole is the relatively high proportion of terminal Action cards in the set, along with a high proportion of those cards that give +Cards. Only a few cards in the set give additional actions, and Moat, Witch, Smithy, and Council Room can all draw dead Action cards. In my opinion, this helps lead many new players to conclude that Village and Festival are the best cards in the game and many others to believe that the game is 'flawed' because a Big Money strategy so often beats an Action chain strategy.

Intrigue, on the other hand, adds only two and a half terminal Action cards that always must draw cards (Torturer, Masquerade, and Courtyard) and includes 11 cards that can provide additional actions. (I call Courtyard half a terminal Action card because if it's your last action of the turn, you can put your best Action card from your hand back on top of your deck.) With so many more self-replacing Actions and versatile cards, it smooths the game out quite a bit.

EDIT: Patrick, I play mostly two player games, so I don't see Intrigue as providing much more player interaction compared to the base set. I also don't really see the relatively low amount of interaction in the base set as a hole. Sure, I like more interaction, but there are plenty of players I know that don't. So I could see how it could be considered a hole, but it's not one of the problems I have with the base set as a standalone game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for laying that out. It's obvious you have many more games under your belt than I do. These are points I've never taken into consideration. Though, I only had the base set two months before my bud bought Intrigue.

Oh, and to contribute to this thread, I would purchase each expantion in order except Alchemy after prosperity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One consideration that has been left out of the discussion so far is that Intrigue allows you to play with more than 4 players. If you want to do that (either a single game of 5-6 or two simultaneous games with up to 8), then you should get Intrigue earlier rather than later.

On that note, personally I like Dominion just fine with 5, though some people think it lasts too long and it distorts some cards too much for their liking. With 6, I'd rather play two tables of three. Some setups are okay with 6, but if you're playing some form of random setup, you may not get a "good" setup. With two tables, I have a friend who likes the "play, then swap tables" approach so you can compare notes on the way two different games go with the same setups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lau
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses. when you say in order, what order what would that be? I'm not familiar with the chronological order.

Also while it would be great to get all of them, it's just fiscally not possible.

I guess I should have made the question more specific. I should have said if you can only get one right away, which one would it be? I'm guessing still Intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mage789 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. when you say in order, what order what would that be?

Dominion
Dominion: Intrigue
Dominion: Seaside
Dominion: Alchemy
Dominion: Prosperity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy them in order except for Alchemy, if Propserity is out by then you might want to get that first.

Each expansion adds something, or ups the ante. Intrigue adds more choices during turns, Seaside adds durations...Alchemy adds potions, but that's not game changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the question I had- which to get first. So it sounds like Intrigue and/or prosperity are two good acquisitions. We have been playing the game for a while and maybe time to add some "fresh" cards to the play mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.