Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of the game, and convinced my wife to play. We sat down as set up the game, and it look great and even my wife liked the looks of it.

We drew random hero’s she picked the Ranger and I got the Cleric. We started the game each going for our first quest. Her ability to move 4 got her going and attempted her first quest rolled her 2 dice for a 6 and missed. For the next two turns we continue to go after quests, my wife completing two of them and me only one. We looked at our hero cards and saw that we had 11 Red cards between us so we decided to go after Lord Balazarg.
I rolled for my cards against Lord Balazarg and is normal for me I rolled 2 ones and had to discard them, while my wife didn’t roll a single 1. As it was her turn she had me roll first and I got two hits not a good start, however as always my wife rolls 8 dice and get 6 hits for the kill.

Now we stated the mid war part of the game, I noticed that there seemed to be getting a lot of taint on the land so I went on a mission to remove a few of them. While trying to gather hero cards of the same color. I did ok in removing 3 taint markers from the board, while my wife finished her quest for the Amazons, rolled a six and removed 6 minions from the board. Things were looking up for us.

After a visit to the Inn, I drew my darkness spreads card and OH NO Varkolak is only 2 steps away from Monarch City. We both move towards Varkolak I get there first and clear out the minions, in moves the wife and we then defeat Varkolak.

Her next quest is to the Elves, and that helps clear more of the minions off the board. A few more turns pass and my wife has 8 Green hero cards, and a special that gives her two dice so she challenges Gorgutt. As I said earlier she rolls good dice and kills Gorgutt. At this time I am feeling as if I am not needed, we have 3 dead generals, 8 Taint counters on the board and Sapphire is still 3 away from Monarch city. In my favor I had been saving Blue Hero cards and have 4 one with 2 dice.

I spend two actions on the next turn at the Inn and get 2 more blue cards. My wife goes to the inn and get 1 blue card but than draws 2 at the end of the turn. Now of course Shapphire moves towards Monarch City and a 9th taint marker get onto the board. I stay at the inn and draw another blue card and move to the space where Shapphire is standing and tell my wife to move there and we will finish the game. I draw my darkness spread card and Shapphire moves forward again. We still have time. My wife moves into Shapphires location, and draws another blue card.

Darkness Spreads, NO NO it can’t be, 3 more taint markers are placed on the board and we LOSE.

On the positive side my wife really enjoyed the game and wants to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report John! thumbsup

Glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the game. It's been well received by my group and Mrs... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very tough with two! It looks like you came very close. We have not even managed to defeat more than one general during the game, as we seem to run out of orcs every time!
That War Party card is just nasty!

Having a blast though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report.

My wife and I played three times with one character each, losing every time (always, like you, to taint).

We then tried taking two heroes each. It seems to me now that's the way the game's designed to be played and it provides a more satisfying experience. It was still challenging, but we did finally manage a win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
I normally play two characters each when I play two player. We win about 60% of the time that way. Never tried the one character per player for two player.

Interestingly enough, and to the game's credit, I think, when I have played solo with four characters I rarely win. You really need other people and their ideas and interaction to best play and win this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.