Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I am going through my 2nd solo game of TS to try and iron out all the rules, and I have come across a problem, I have read the rules over and over and I just cant seem to figure out this one thing, I hope it has not already been covered but here is the question.

in the book on page 14 (v1.4) it talks about Attack and MAgic Attack

in the example it talks about the Dwarf Janissary having an attack of 6 as long as it has a weapon attached IE: Flaming Sword

so in this example, the dwarf would have Attack 6 and Magic Attack 3. this I understand.

now, do you add these up for a total of attack 6+3=9 when attacking a monster? or do you have to pick between Attack 6 or Magic Attack 3?

and if you DO add them up and you are attacking Noxious Slag which has "Half Attack from Magic Attack" do you just half the Magic Attack portion of the attack, giving you 6+3-.5 = 7.5 (rounded down to 7) Or do you cut the entire attack of 9 in half giving you 4.5 (rounded down to 4)

I hope that all made sense.

~ Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shred121569 wrote:

and if you DO add them up and you are attacking Noxious Slag which has "Half Attack from Magic Attack" do you just half the Magic Attack portion of the attack, giving you 6+3-.5 = 7.5 (rounded down to 7)

I hope that all made sense.

~ Ed

It makes sense and its a good question. You add the two attacks, but only halve all magic attacks(like you suggest above). In other words, all attacks are cumulative in terms of total points of dmg, but magic is always separate from regular attacks in terms of special conditions(magic attack only, half magic attack, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When attacking a monster with no special text, all attack values are added, so in your example 6+3=9.

When attacking a monster with special text on one type, only that type is affected. So in your example, 6 + 3/2 = 7.5 = round down to 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense!

Yes, you add.
That means in this case:
Your normal attack is +6
Your magic attack is +3
Your total attack is 9

Against Noxious Slag which has "Half Attack from Magic Attack", you have 7.

Have fun!

EDIT : toasted! At least our answers are identical...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!! that's the answer I was hoping for, thank you all for the quick responses!
~ Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now grab those cards and go kick some blob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep I'm still in the middle of that solo game, I am losing so far I think, but at least I am figuring out the game.

I have another question tho. It mentions something about losing a battle with a monster, if you lose a battle you put the monster at the bottom of the monster deck??? I think thats what it says...anyway, why would you ever lose a battle? I mean, if you know you cant beat any of the monsters, just do a village visit right? and only attack a monster when you know you can kill it. am I missing something here?

~ Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
shred121569 wrote:
yep I'm still in the middle of that solo game, I am losing so far I think, but at least I am figuring out the game.

I have another question tho. It mentions something about losing a battle with a monster, if you lose a battle you put the monster at the bottom of the monster deck??? I think thats what it says...anyway, why would you ever lose a battle? I mean, if you know you cant beat any of the monsters, just do a village visit right? and only attack a monster when you know you can kill it. am I missing something here?

~ Ed

In a solo game the monster you lose to goes to the village score pile. Often times in a solo game it is beneficial to attack a low VP monster, knowing that you cant defeat it, in order to prevent a higher VP monster from ending up in the village score pile. In this way the dungeon doesn't advance a monster from Rank 1 to the village score pile (and if that monster is worth 6VP thats certainly a good thing to stop), and instead sends that low VP monster to the score pile.

In a multiplayer game it is often beneficial to throw a fight to a monster when you cant defeat it but believe other players might be able to. In this way you can send a high VP monster to the bottom of the deck, preventing your opponents from getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
shred121569 wrote:

~ Ed

If you look around the forums you will see many discussions on why you would want to lose to a monster, usually it is to get a high VP monster out of the queue so your opponents don't get to kill it.

There are also cards, like Foresight, which let you draw cards once in the Dungeon. Sometimes you might go into the Dungeon with the hope of drawing a particular card or just an additional light or +1 attack and not do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a solo game then no, but in multi player game you can sink a monster that you don't want someone else to get the points for. For example if your deck has no magic attack, and player two is building one with mages and fireballs then attacking the sphinx to put it at bottom of deck will prevent them from getting those victory points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that totally makes sense!

thank you all for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an idiot. I didn't read the rules close enough and assumed that magic weapons could only be used by magic attack heroes and vice versa.....shake I now have a ton of solo games and one multi-player game behind me with this rule in place. So much for all of the frustration, hehehehe....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okay another question, monsters that say destroy one spell, or weapon:

what if the weapon or spell is in my hand, but i did not use it to fight the monster? do i still lose one weapon/spell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
shred121569 wrote:
okay another question, monsters that say destroy one spell, or weapon:

what if the weapon or spell is in my hand, but i did not use it to fight the monster? do i still lose one weapon/spell?

Yep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I finished the game, I lost 27 to 28, I think I made some mistakes so that score might not be accurate, but I think I have a pretty good grasp on how to play now. thanks again for all your help, I'm amazed at how fast I got answers to my questions.

Now I'm ready to play two player when my gaming buddy comes down this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shred121569 wrote:
Okay I finished the game, I lost 27 to 28, I think I made some mistakes so that score might not be accurate, but I think I have a pretty good grasp on how to play now. thanks again for all your help, I'm amazed at how fast I got answers to my questions.

Now I'm ready to play two player when my gaming buddy comes down this weekend.

If you're that new and the game is that close, you are to be commended. Until I developed some strategies I was stomped by the monsters much worse than that! you'll be beating the dungeon deck in no time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shred121569 wrote:
Okay I finished the game, I lost 27 to 28

Impressive! I've just been beaten 39-35 on my first (solo) play and I thought this was a fair score for an absolute (proud) beginner. How did the game unfold for you?

In the early game, I had a hard time gathering a decent party: I had to helplessly watch two fat jellowish things lurk in the village for a painful 12VP. Quite depressing. And as I finally came up with a monster-bashing group of heavily stuffed heroes, I found my deck plagued with useless monster-trophies and chronic disease! Not once did my three overpaid clerics ever have a chance to cure me… I am proud that my mismatched bunch of ragged heroes still had the guts to rebuke a nasty death lordling - for a tremendous amount of 7 cursed VPs and two more diseases in a pandemic-style outbreak.

By the way, regarding disease and magic attack: I'm wondering whether the -1 malus should only apply to regular attack or to the final combined attack score?

--
Buggy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apply it to your total atttack value

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Apply it to your total atttack value

Thx! Indeed, it's in the rules (on p. 10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAGH! I've playing every single game of Thunderstone incorrectly! I thought physical and magic attack were two separate attributes shake. In other words, I thought you had to use one or the other, but not both. This way makes so much more sense and partially explains why I always get my throat stepped on in solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
AAGH! I've playing every single game of Thunderstone incorrectly! I thought physical and magic attack were two separate attributes shake. In other words, I thought you had to use one or the other, but not both. This way makes so much more sense and partially explains why I always get my throat stepped on in solo games.

You and me both, buddy! I guess it doesn't pay to look too deep into the rules....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
ReinhartTR wrote:

You and me both, buddy! I guess it doesn't pay to look too deep into the rules....

-Ski

Actually it pays to read all the way through them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always read the rules, very carefully in fact. Specifically I remember having the question of whether physical and magical attack mix or are separate. The rules apparently indicated to me that they are separate. Oh well, now I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.