16 Posts

Fluxx» Forums » General

Subject: Compatibility of Fluxx decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D R
Ireland
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of buying Fluxx 4.0, Stoner Fluxx, and a pack of Fluxx Blanxx.

I'll be buying online and I've never seen any of these decks.

Are the cards the same size?

Do they all have the same graphic on the back? and hence, are Blanxx compatible with both Fluxx and Stoner Fluxx?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all Fluxx decks are the same size*, and have the same graphic on the back.

*Except the very first edition which has larger cards. But you have to go out of your way to find that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

loafers_glory wrote:
I'm thinking of buying Fluxx 4.0, Stoner Fluxx, and a pack of Fluxx Blanxx.

I'll be buying online and I've never seen any of these decks.

Are the cards the same size?

Do they all have the same graphic on the back? and hence, are Blanxx compatible with both Fluxx and Stoner Fluxx?

Thanks

Although the makers of Fluxx warn that some expansions (especially some of the themed ones) don't play well with other and probably shouldn't be mixed. I believe Martian Fluxx and Monty Python Fluxx fall into that category. I don't know about Stoner Fluxx, having never played that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They all mix quite happily in terms of card size/backs etc.

Zombie Fluxx & Monty Python Fluxx should not be mixed as that makes the penguin on your TV set explode (yes, that is in the FAQ)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure every version except Stoner Fluxx uses the same back design, but Stoner Fluxx actually looks like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you order the current edition of a domestic version of Fluxx, you should be fine. They all have the same card backs. That includes:

Fluxx 4.0
Stoner Fluxx 2.0 (published under the Fully-Baked Ideas imprint)
Nature Fluxx
Martian Fluxx
Monty Python Fluxx
Zombie Fluxx
Family Fluxx
Fluxx en Español

The following are different from the regular cards.

Fluxx 1.0 (different size cards)
Stoner Fluxx 1.0 (different card back)
German Fluxx (different card back)
Japanese Fluxx (different card back; card stock is thicker)
Dutch Fluxx (different card back)

These are all difficult to find. The first two are long out of print, and the others are obviously foreign language (and they may be out of print also). Except for Fluxx 1.0, all the cards are the same size, so you could shuffle them in with regular cards. You'd be able to tell from the backs that they were different, but it would work. Fluxx 1.0 is very different in size, but again, you would have to go to some effort to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
I'm pretty sure every version except Stoner Fluxx uses the same back design, but Stoner Fluxx actually looks like this:

Version 1.0 looks like this. Version 2.0 (published under the Fully-Baked Ideas imprint) looks like the regular cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
If you order the current edition of a domestic version of Fluxx, you should be fine. They all have the same card backs. That includes:

Fluxx 4.0
Stoner Fluxx 2.0 (published under the Fully-Baked Ideas imprint)
Nature Fluxx
Martian Fluxx
Monty Python Fluxx
Zombie Fluxx
Family Fluxx
Fluxx en Español

The following are different from the regular cards.

Fluxx 1.0 (different size cards)
Stoner Fluxx 1.0 (different card back)
German Fluxx (different card back)
Japanese Fluxx (different card back; card stock is thicker)
Dutch Fluxx (different card back)

These are all difficult to find. The first two are long out of print, and the others are obviously foreign language (and they may be out of print also). Except for Fluxx 1.0, all the cards are the same size, so you could shuffle them in with regular cards. You'd be able to tell from the backs that they were different, but it would work. Fluxx 1.0 is very different in size, but again, you would have to go to some effort to find a copy.

All true, but while the cards can be used together in some cases the designers warn that certain combos do not work well together and they do not recommend it. I think this particularly applies to the themed decks such as Monty Python, Martian and probably Zombie Fluxx. I think Family Fluxx and the standard Fluxx can probably be mixed together without a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
All true, but while the cards can be used together in some cases the designers warn that certain combos do not work well together and they do not recommend it. I think this particularly applies to the themed decks such as Monty Python, Martian and probably Zombie Fluxx. I think Family Fluxx and the standard Fluxx can probably be mixed together without a problem.

Well, the question from the OP related to mixing in Blanxx, so it's still relevant what can be mixed together. Someone once gave me some Blanxx as a gift and I put some of them in my generic set and some in my Zombie Fluxx set, no problem.

I've found the mixing together of sets to be a fun variant to bring to the table on rare occasions. As long as you recognize that you might get absurd results, you'll be fine. Also, the game tends to drag out because it's harder to meet end conditions. Fortunately, the card fronts are slightly different to aid the re-separation of your cards. Mostly, it's title fonts, but the EcoFluxx cards have little flowery patterns in the side bars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
We couldn't decide what to put on our Blanxx, so we left them blank and write today's rule, etc on sticky notes. As each card gets drawn, we stick the appropriate note on it.

We have a megadeck with Fluxx, Family Fluxx, Zombie Fluxx, and all the promo cards and mini decks I could get. There hasn't been any problems there, but the games can take much longer. Monty Python Fluxx and Eco Fluxx we keep separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a matter of taste as to what and how many variants you mix together. Last Sunday, my gaming group (of 8) played Fluxx with 4 expansions (Zombie, Martian, Monty Python, and Pirate). The game took about 90 minutes and was won by the pairing of Giant Foot and Nude Organist. The game did drag on a little too long, but everyone was in good spirits.

Personally, I would only mix 2 together at the same time unless you WANT a loooooong, drawn out game.

Martian Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx meld together fairly well because they have a higher instance of creepers. Just be prepared NOT to win because of the ungoals.

Other than that, Fluxx 4.0, Eco, and Family Fluxx pair very well together. You can even take out the creepers and creeper specific goals if you want the game to progress a little more quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I last posted to this thread, I ran across a variant for mixing multiple sets. Each set you're using has its own Goal. I haven't tried it, but I would think it would speed the game up enough to be playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Since I last posted to this thread, I ran across a variant for mixing multiple sets. Each set you're using has its own Goal. I haven't tried it, but I would think it would speed the game up enough to be playable.

My rules for what I call PolyFluxx are:

1. You may have one Goal in play per deck in the game. They are placed in a line, with new ones added on the right end, and surplus Goals discarded off the left end. This allows Goals to stay in the game a little while, at least.

2. You may win with 2 half-Goals. A half-Goal pertains to a Goal card that requires 2 specific cards for its fulfillment. So for example, if Milk and Cookies, and Take Me To Your Leader were both in play, then you could win if you had Cookies and the Human Leader. Goals that require fewer than 2 cards, or 2 or more cards from a set of 3 or more (e.g. All You Need Is Love, Mars Needs Women, Zombie Baseball Team) cannot be split into 2 half-Goals this way for a win.

This does speed up the game considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S M
msg tools
We have mixed up to 4 decks. We find Martian Fluxx and Monty Python Fluxx work very well together because there is a lot of overlap (cows, humans). I think Pirate and Monty Python might also work well, and Cthulhu and Zombie (if you treat all Zombies as the Body).

We play 1 Goal per deck, but no half-wins. Each Double Agenda doubles only that deck's goal.

We also start with +2 cards in hand per extra deck - 5 cards for two decks, 7 cards for three decks, etc. Games don't seem to drag out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stillwell
United States
California
flag msg tools
I can't wait to play Space Pirate Fluxx, or Space Zombie Fluxx.

Can anyone suggest if I shoudl use Martian on Space decks for these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S M
msg tools
When we mix decks, we are generally pretty liberal about card equivalencies.

For example, we treat the Flintlock Pistol and the Laser Pistol as being equivalent to each other. Thus, a goal that requires the Flintlock Pistol could be met by using the Laser Pistol.

If you follow that loose equivalency, Star Fluxx is a much better fit than Martian Fluxx, which is very different. Martian Fluxx works really well with Monty Python Fluxx, because both games deal with cows and humans, and all of the knights have helmets on, which fits well with the "headgear" aspects of Martian Fluxx.

Since you posted this, of course, Star Fluxx has been joined by Firefly Fluxx and Doctor Who Fluxx, with two Star Trek Fluxx games on the horizon. A 5-deck game of "Space Opera Fluxx" using all five space-themed decks could be very, very interesting.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.