Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Parker
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing Lost Cities for a week now with rules that we now realise are wrong - however we think that they add a bit more variety and strategy to the game.

You see we thought the game board was for the expeditions, not the discard piles. We assumed that only one expedition could be started to each destination, that is if I started an expedition to Blue then my opponent could no longer go there as well. This sort of became a race to see who would start each expedition. It also introduced some strategy in terms of holding cards in my hand and trying to keep them hidden from my opponent who might be on an expedition.

We then learned yesterday that the game board is for the discard pile and that we could each start as many expeditions as we wanted. We played it like this but found it lacking from the way we were playing it.

I encourage people to try playing it the way we were and see if you too find that it adds a little extra to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'm not sure you're playing it right still. Holding cards in your hand to keep them from your opponent is definitely a key strategy even with the right rules. While each player *can* start as many expeditions as they like, the fact remains that they probably shouldn't, since they immediately go 20 points in the hole.

In any case, if you find a way you like better, more power to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice, maybe an experienced player could play this to add new life to the game.

How about moving this to the Variant forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
How in the world would this variant be anything but "first player wins"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, the cardinal rule is "it's your game, you play it any way you please!" but I'd still encourage you to give the published rules a good fair shake (say a few hundred games). Having played a few thousand times, I feel there's a whole dimension that your variant cuts out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.