Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was inspired by a recent post I read looking for coin punch cards. I took a 2p coin I had laying around and used it as a make shift stamping die. The result was metallic coins that could technically be made as cheap if not cheaper than printed coins and way more realistic looking.

The coin on the left was the coin I used to create these prototypes. A real die would have created more contour but for just a quick pressing it turned out better than expected.

The artwork for the coins would have to have a bleed for the die cutting. That said it may be cooler if the front and back of the coins were a little off as it would be more authentic.

There are a couple of ways that we could make these. Both ways required having a stamping die made. Stamping dies aren't super cheap but as long as you don't make a huge die the cost can be reasonable. The cost of the die would be a one time cost and would last longer than a die cutting die so you would get a good return on the investment. The big bonus of stamping coins is that you will get texture to the coin. You could even get the die cutting die made with irregular edges to really give it an old coin look and feel.

In terms of the stamping we could use foils that come in a wide range of different colours or we could get a metallic board and just deboss the pattern into the board.

Very interested in feed back on this. I have never come across a coin made like this so I am curious if it has ever been done. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you point us to what you mean when you say "metallic board"?

I've never looked into stamping or foils, so your expertise would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the best example of foiled boards are seen in chocolate boxes. There is a products used in the craft world called Grafix Foil Board. If you do a search for Grafix you will find their website. There are similar boards available to us in the trade that come in larger formats.

The upside of using the Foil Board is that you start off with a solid foil base. The downside of the Foil Board is that it is limited with its colour options.

On the flip side Foil Stamping will provide you with a much wider range of colour options. Not only metallic but solid colours. If you are making coins/VP tokens like the ones in Small World you can use the metallic foil in the VP side and on the other side use a basic black or other colour. The only down side of using foil is that sometimes when you are stamping larger flat areas you can get pin holes. Providing when the artwork is laid out we make sure that we don't try and do too much we should be fine.

You can get dies made in different materials and thicknesses. We tend to use the thickest dies for our stamping dies as they produce the best results and the etching can go deeper into the magnesium.

I could write a book, but I don't want to bore people. If you want to know more about the process and why stamping can be more accurate send me a message and I can explain it.

I hope this answered some of your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think anyone reading this thread would like to hear the process of making the coins and how much the coins cost, accounting for tools and supplies. Some of us may not have a craft application beyond coin-making; still, what else can be done with the tools?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Tall_Walt wrote:
I think anyone reading this thread would like to hear the process of making the coins and how much the coins cost, accounting for tools and supplies. Some of us may not have a craft application beyond coin-making; still, what else can be done with the tools?

Indeed, I'd love to hear, ehh read, more about this!

I have seen metal sheets for embossing at craft stores, from Amaco for example.
They are available in the following colours:

The reason I was looking into them a while back was for use with magnets but I never bought any since I wasn't sure if they are thick enough to actually work with magnets..

Do you know if they do work nicely with magnets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

Next time I am in the shop I will take a couple pictures of some of our stamping dies and just for fun I will take a couple shots of some die cutting dies in case people aren't familiar with what they look like. When I post those pictures I will get into some more of the details for you.

Unfortunately this isn't something that you can do at home unless you are willing to invest in a small hand stamping machine. This is something that a bindery such as the one I work for would would really only be able to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a totally different product. This looks more like a leafing product. If it is a leafing product it will for sure be too thin. What you could possibly do though is use this product on earth magnets.

Aenea wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Indeed, I'd love to hear, ehh read, more about this!

I have seen metal sheets for embossing at craft stores, from Amaco for example.
They are available in the following colours:

The reason I was looking into them a while back was for use with magnets but I never bought any since I wasn't sure if they are thick enough to actually work with magnets..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pleier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Aenea wrote:

The material wouldn't stick to a magnet like I think you're referring to. Aluminum isn't magnetic for most purposes. Try using a magnet on an aluminum soda can. There is more to it, but the short answer is that most foils won't work with magnets unless they are attached to something ferrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
ThereAintNoJusti wrote:
Aenea wrote:

The material wouldn't stick to a magnet like I think you're referring to. Aluminum isn't magnetic for most purposes. Try using a magnet on an aluminum soda can. There is more to it, but the short answer is that most foils won't work with magnets unless they are attached to something ferrous.

That is a shame, I wanted to use thin metal sheets under a board and use magnetic components

I want to make too many boards with this to put anything more generic underneath them (ie. whiteboards and stuff) and they need to be able to be cut to size rather easily...

Any of you know by any chance what type of metal sheets would work for this and where one could buy that in Europe???

But still this metal embossing and stamping sounds intriguing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pleier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
How about something like this:

http://www.magnetking.com/

Or Magnetic Paint. http://www.lyt.com/servlet/StoreFront

Alternatively you could try re-purposing a Baking Sheet.

You should probably start your own thread for any more discussion. The DIY section would most likely be the best place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
All you want is some kind of mostly iron-based metal sheet. Iron-based materials are magnetic the vast majority of the time.

Super thin galvanised metal sheet would usually do the trick. I used some when I used to make pencil boxes out of old second hand hardcover books. (cut holes in the pages, glue them together with PVA on the inside to provide a protected section, glue some magnets inside the wall and hide a strip of thin galvanised metal under the fly-sheet at the cover)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that pretty close to illegal minting of coins?

If it is your own design, sure, not an issue, but to reverse stamp crown currency seems like a bad idea, since the next step would be to do it in reverse again and just print your own money, literally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

If it is your own design, sure, not an issue, but to reverse stamp crown currency seems like a bad idea, since the next step would be to do it in reverse again and just print your own money, literally.

I could possibly see that if what I did was using a metal blank. This is a stamped impression on a piece of 120pt chipboard. If I showed the other side you would see the raw chipboard.

It would be impossible to use the foil stamped card coin to stamp anything else with let alone deboss anything else with it. I will explain the process later today. This was just a simple way of showing what is possible.

With the type of machine used for foil stamping you would actually ruin your machine before you could deboss a piece of metal. The chase the dies sit in is an aluminum honeycomb so the metal die you would need to deboss a metal slug would be harder than the chase and would destroy your chase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

I'd say technically yes, practically no. I would also add, his stamped coin is probably worth significantly more than 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I'd say technically yes, practically no. I would also add, his stamped coin is probably worth significantly more than 2p.

I am not so sure if it would be technically. The definition of counterfeiter with regards to currency is the creation of currency with the intent to pass it of as real currency. More importantly when it comes to coinage it is minted currency. There is no way this is even close to being "minted"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
fellonmyhead wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I am not so sure if it would be technically. The definition of counterfeiter with regards to currency is the creation of currency with the intent to pass it of as real currency. More importantly when it comes to coinage it is minted currency. There is no way this is even close to being "minted"

Tell that to the paranoid banks and mints. Possession can easily be twisted into intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some how this has kind of gotten side tracked from the initial intent of the OP. Maybe I should have used the word Token instead of Coin as I can't tell if people are making the assumption that what I made has real metal content to it.

The point of all of this was to show that creating game token/coins/VP using metallic foil was possible. When you are designing coin like tokens rather than printing them to look like metal or coins you can foil stamp them to give them a more life like look.

It is something that I had never seen used before in games and was wondering if it was because people were unaware that it was an option.

In an effort to put this counterfeit conversation to bed do a search for plastic coins online. You will see exact copies of US currency for sale all over the place. They are the same size and shape as the real thing and are more realistic then the chipboard coin I made. One thing foil stamping will never be able to do is foil the edge of the coin so you will always see the chipboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for those of you interested in the process I posted a new thread that explains everything. I would put a link to it but I can figure out how to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pleier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/560419/foil-stamping-and-die...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThereAintNoJusti wrote:

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.