Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Prine
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I was just surfing the web, and noticed the prices on Heroscape stuff....WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? Why are they so expensive now!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
modfather wrote:
Hello all!

I was just surfing the web, and noticed the prices on Heroscape stuff....WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? Why are they so expensive now!?

I don't think I've been around heroscape long enough to make this statement, but I'm going to anyway:

Wizards of the Coast bought it out, and have proceeded to suffocate the series by releasing only a small, small amount of expansions. It's ok, I'm sure wizards is making it up on the ebay back-end.

Speaking of buying franchises and then not doing basic things to support them, when is Battlelore's core set going to be re-released, by the way?

(Voice comes over) "Bitter, table for one."

I have to go, my seat is ready.

Still think it's darn awesome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
[q="modfather"]Speaking of buying franchises and then not doing basic things to support them, when is Battlelore's core set going to be re-released, by the way?
Why would they reprint the core set now? They are making expansions and the core set it still easily found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
...the core set it still easily found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good game + product mismanagement = Scarce = High prices.

Originally sold as a mass market game, big box stores weren't able to properly keep the boosters in stock. However, demand was still there, in the hobby market. Hasbro owns WotC, which, presumably, has better ability to distribute through hobby market channels. Except that a) prepainted miniatures are more expensive to paint, and b) WotC is only interested in WotC products, namely D&D and Magic. (WotC dropped the D&D Miniatures game long ago.)

AFAIK. I'd like to know more, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:

[spit-take.jpg]

Haha, seriously. If this were easy to get, I'd have tried the game a year ago. Not to mention all the little terrain packs that can't be had.

I completely wrote this game off. Way too unavailable to get into at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
modfather wrote:

New stuff is coming out at pretty much the same prices they've been for years - $12.99 retail for small expansion packs. Despite increasing production costs in China, they have managed to keep the price point by re-using the figure molds from their D&D minis line. Stuff that's out of print goes for big bucks on Ebay, which has been true for years.

bippi wrote:
Wizards of the Coast bought it out, and have proceeded to suffocate the series by releasing only a small, small amount of expansions.

1) WotC is owned by Hasbro. Hasbro decided to reassign HeroScape to their WotC group.

2) In the six years spanning 2004-2009, there were 3 master sets, ten regular expansion waves, and four special expansion waves: Orm's Return, Raknar's Vision Crest of the Valkyrie (which had only 5 figures and some dice), and Aquilla's Alliance. So on average, a Master Set every two years and just over two expansion waves per year. WotC has already released one Master Set and 2 full expansion waves this year, with a 3rd expansion scheduled to release before Christmas.

No biggie - doom and gloom misinformation threads have been s.o.p. for HeroScape from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember individual wave 3 packs going for $40 on ebay in 2005. It's not really new. The closest to actually being out of print anything is in Heroscape is the Elite Onyx Vipers, the flag bearers and the Volcarren Wasteland set. Those were in-store exclusives for Walmart and Toys-R-Us. Everything else is somewhere in the cycle of:

Scheduled for production->Being produced->On shelves->Scarce->Scheduled for production

Some sets are stuck in the Scarce part of the cycle for longer than others, but everything is going to stay in production for the foreseeable future. Reprinting an older wave is going to be a lot cheaper than putting out an entirely new wave. They are more or less still doing both. They just have a large catalog to keep on shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Minivann wrote:
The closest to actually being out of print anything is in Heroscape is the Elite Onyx Vipers,

Elite Onyx Vipers OOP, you say?
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php?viewType=view...:%20Champions%20of%20Renown%20Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people are misunderstanding the distribution model that Hersocape is using as well.

First off, it's not a collectible game, in that there is a deliberate policy of letting sets go out of print permanently as is seen with Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures for example.

The intent is that Heroscape expansions will not go out of print on a permanent basis. Every set will be available again at some point -- note that some formerly exclusive hard-to-find promo pieces such as Nerak have reappeared. I wouldn't treat Heroscape as an investment. The scarcity of certain pieces will be temporary.

BUT, and this is important, unlike some other games with expansions, there is also no promise that EVERY Heroscape item will be available at the same time. If you're just getting into Heroscape now you may have to wait awhile before some piece you want is back in print. I don't see a problem with this. All of us who were with Heroscape from the beginning had to collect it a bit at a time, too.

Finally, the game has evolved a bit from the initial concept. Hasbro thought it could sell it as a mass market game through big box retailers. This didn't work for many reasons, not the least of which is that big box retailers are not set up to manage an inventory of specialty niche products like a game with expansions. Recognizing this, Hasbro moved the line over to the WOTC side of the house which was better set up to manage this sort of product because of its experience with collectible games.

I see no indication that Hasbro/WOTC has turned its back on this product line at all. Indeed, the new D&D-based focus seems to signal an intention to keep at it. My only question is whether there will be any more "classic" Heroscape expansions down the road or will everything be D&D from now on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:

[spit-take.jpg]

Haha, seriously. If this were easy to get, I'd have tried the game a year ago. Not to mention all the little terrain packs that can't be had.

I completely wrote this game off. Way too unavailable to get into at this point.

There are two FLGSs you can just walk in and get a copy of out here. A third I haven't been to in a few months, but they had at least on at the start of the year.

I'm not sure who has what expansions, but there are certainly a lot of them out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also been into HS since it's introduction, and while I won't bore you with the details, suffice it to say, my son and I have multiple copies of the original masterset (including the early ones with the "sparkly water" tiles) and at least one copy (and often more) of each wave. Needless to say, we are big fans. However, I will disagree with some of my colleagues here and agree with the OP that the prices for much of the HS product is out of sight, mainly because so much of the catalog is OOP. Further, it is true that HS distribution has always sucked, and is even worse now that WOTC took over. At least in the old days, Hasbro had agreements with the big box stores (Walmart, Target, Toys "R" Us) to carry product (though the track record of these stores to actually stock the product was spotty at best). Now, with that gone, it's on-line or FLGS purchases only. The original masterset, which was by far the best, is OOP. The only new stuff that is coming out is the D&D themed stuff, and if you, like me, are a fan of the original HS universe (Jandar, Utgar, ...etc.), the D&D stuff tends to leave you cold. I bought the D&D masterset, but I'm decidedly "meh" about it.

Frankly, again, as someone who is heavily invested in the HS system and enjoys it, there's really no way to deny that the product is on life support at best. This is especially true if you aren't into the D&D direction that the game has taken. The wave reprints are also very slow in coming, and really can't be had other than via on-line purchases. It's difficult for me to sit here and defend WOTC or Hasbro for what seems like their perpetual mismanagement of a great game. Note that I'm not a Hasbro/WOTC basher by any means - I'm into a lot of their stuff (A&A, A&A minis), but they have constantly dropped the ball on HS.

The one point upon which I agree with the HS defenders is that it may be very difficult for WOTC to continue to produce the old waves, or reissue the original masterset, at anywhere near the appropriate price points. The problem is that production costs from China have increased dramatically over the last several years. The industry I work in has seen the same impact and I'm sure it's hitting the toy/game industry. That's the unfortunate part - we may never see some of these HS products again because the costs would make the selling price too high for the market to support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the old stuff is expansive because it is out of print and , wait for it, people really want it cause they gave you so much for your $.

The original Master Set is selling for so much on E-bay , yep I have noticed, since I have at least 30 of these guys around and gave at least 10 away to friends who always ask if I want them back - the answer is always no. Kinda crazy, I have often wonder with the prices getting so high on e-bay why Hasbro doesn´t make another printing, the guy who said they are selling themselves on E-bay makes me wonder, but I just don´t see a giant company like that doing that, although it is a great idea of they are ( great for them, not great for the buyers ).

It is still the best game I have ever played and I so need to get about 4 of the new expnasions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I've also been into HS since it's introduction, and while I won't bore you with the details, suffice it to say, my son and I have multiple copies of the original masterset (including the early ones with the "sparkly water" tiles) and at least one copy (and often more) of each wave. Needless to say, we are big fans. However, I will disagree with some of my colleagues here and agree with the OP that the prices for much of the HS product is out of sight, mainly because so much of the catalog is OOP. Further, it is true that HS distribution has always sucked, and is even worse now that WOTC took over. At least in the old days, Hasbro had agreements with the big box stores (Walmart, Target, Toys "R" Us) to carry product (though the track record of these stores to actually stock the product was spotty at best). Now, with that gone, it's on-line or FLGS purchases only. The original masterset, which was by far the best, is OOP. The only new stuff that is coming out is the D&D themed stuff, and if you, like me, are a fan of the original HS universe (Jandar, Utgar, ...etc.), the D&D stuff tends to leave you cold. I bought the D&D masterset, but I'm decidedly "meh" about it.

Frankly, again, as someone who is heavily invested in the HS system and enjoys it, there's really no way to deny that the product is on life support at best. This is especially true if you aren't into the D&D direction that the game has taken. The wave reprints are also very slow in coming, and really can't be had other than via on-line purchases. It's difficult for me to sit here and defend WOTC or Hasbro for what seems like their perpetual mismanagement of a great game. Note that I'm not a Hasbro/WOTC basher by any means - I'm into a lot of their stuff (A&A, A&A minis), but they have constantly dropped the ball on HS.

The one point upon which I agree with the HS defenders is that it may be very difficult for WOTC to continue to produce the old waves, or reissue the original masterset, at anywhere near the appropriate price points. The problem is that production costs from China have increased dramatically over the last several years. The industry I work in has seen the same impact and I'm sure it's hitting the toy/game industry. That's the unfortunate part - we may never see some of these HS products again because the costs would make the selling price too high for the market to support.

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
modfather wrote:
Hello all!

I don't think I've been around heroscape long enough to make this statement, but I'm going to anyway:

Wizards of the Coast bought it out, and have proceeded to suffocate the series by releasing only a small, small amount of expansions. It's ok, I'm sure wizards is making it up on the ebay back-end.

Speaking of buying franchises and then not doing basic things to support them, when is Battlelore's core set going to be re-released, by the way?

(Voice comes over) "Bitter, table for one."

I have to go, my seat is ready.

Still think it's darn awesome...

How does WOTC make money off the eBay "Backend"? Are you alledging that they sell copies themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:

I can't seem to manage to get rid of mine. Plus the first wave, the road, and HOT LAVA DEATH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little surprised by some of the prices and honestly more than a little tempted to sell. Roughly $80 profit each on the tundra & lava sets? That's awfully tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:

This has already been covered, but yes, indeed: Wizards is surely in the business of making money by choking their IPs.

Quote:
Hasbro owns WotC, which, presumably, has better ability to distribute through hobby market channels. Except that a) prepainted miniatures are more expensive to paint, and b) WotC is only interested in WotC products, namely D&D and Magic.

Good news for you then: HeroScape is now a WotC product and therefore they are interested in them.

Quote:
Never trust WotC.

They talk a good talk. They don't follow through.

Hope you're enjoying Pathfinder or whatever other game where you have to earn the right to have fun stuff to do!

The truth of the situation is better covered in other posts before mine but this "Wizards is an evil money grubbing corporation because they don't overinvest in a product line unless it is profitable" is ridiculous and the entitlement people think they have in this hobby is just silly. Companies have no responsibility to produce something that is not profitable despite what the fanbase may want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
modfather wrote:
Hello all!

For several reasons (most of which are why I quit playing and sold my sets way back in the day):

1. WotC doesn't support any of the older releases (at least not anymore, by the looks of things), so everything is retardedly scarce.

2. People still very much enjoy the game and want HeroScape stuff...thus inflation sets in.

It's a crappy situation and the #1 reason I hear people who have quit say that they quit - no support for out-of-print stuff. Really sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:

I can't seem to manage to get rid of mine. Plus the first wave, the road, and HOT LAVA DEATH.

I .. uh... went a bit crazy when Toys я Us went out of business (hey! It was at a big discount) so spent about $800- I think... it was a bit of a haze). And I haven't ever tried to sell it but have a huge pile including multiple unopened sparkly waters. Some day I need to get on ebay and see what things go for.

I played until the combos got too complicated and then mainly just use the parts for DnD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like its time to get my extra (clear water) first print copies up on ebay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
Quote:
Never trust WotC.

They talk a good talk. They don't follow through.

Hope you're enjoying Pathfinder or whatever other game where you have to earn the right to have fun stuff to do!

The truth of the situation is better covered in other posts before mine but this "Wizards is an evil money grubbing corporation because they don't overinvest in a product line unless it is profitable" is ridiculous and the entitlement people think they have in this hobby is just silly. Companies have no responsibility to produce something that is not profitable despite what the fanbase may want.

Who said anything about rights or entitlement? That post is about WotC over-promising what they can actually deliver, which they do constantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Geosphere wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
bryanwinter wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:

[spit-take.jpg]

There are two FLGSs you can just walk in and get a copy of out here. A third I haven't been to in a few months, but they had at least on at the start of the year.

I'm not sure who has what expansions, but there are certainly a lot of them out there.

I think we were talking about battlelore with the core set being easily found. If you can find it, in shrink, get it, and ebay it. It's worth about $20 over MSRP now.

If you're talking about heroscape, it's easy to get some master set, somewhere, pretty easily. I agree with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

I think we were talking about battlelore with the core set being easily found. If you can find it, in shrink, get it, and ebay it. It's worth about $20 over MSRP now.

I'm talking Battlelore.

$20 ain't worth the effort of dealing with eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beisaic wrote:
Agent Minivann wrote:
The closest to actually being out of print anything is in Heroscape is the Elite Onyx Vipers,

Elite Onyx Vipers OOP, you say?
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php?viewType=view...:%20Champions%20of%20Renown%20Expansion

:blush: I forgot about them being included in the Wave 10 pack when I posted that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.