Popular Tags: [View All]
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to play this last night. Fantastic game. Except that the miniatures look the same, especially the Free Peoples. I got out a plano box to separate the components for easier setup, but I'm not satisfied. Here's what I have:

* Each FSP nation's units in its own compartment (5 compartments)
* Each Shadow nation's units in two compartements, one for the elite, and one for regular (6 compartments)
* Counters, dice, and character miniatures in compartments (5 compartments)

Why I don't like it:
* The Nazgul are too large to fit.
* The cards are too large to fit.
* Unfortunately, the compartments are almost a little small for some of the FSP nations. I have to put two of them in the largest compartments, and these compartments face towards the front of the box.

I can remove compartment dividers to accomodate the Nazgul and cards, but my dissatisfaction is that the storage case is so large, that passing it back and forth to get bits for Mustering may be bulky. Anyway, before I settle for this storage "solution", anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziploc baggies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:
Ziploc baggies?

That's what I did. Ziploc in the original game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the ziplocks too, and kept a card in each that showed the corresponding setup info for that nation. That proved to be a real time saver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, with eight nations and counters, you're looking at 13 baggies to store the stuff. And, after you've setup, you still have ten or so baggies (especially for the reinforcements) to keep track of. The card is a good idea.

I've managed to cram the Shadow mini's on one side of the storage box, and the FSP mini's on the other end. The length of the box is as long as the short side of the gameboard map. The cards fit in a dice bag, which is used for the corruption counters. Hopefully, that will work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paint the bases (or whole figures) of the Army units in their respective national colors. This will help immensely with setup and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fanta Stick
Finland
Kymenlaakso
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is that you should look for better fitting tray. I have also BotTA in the WotR box. Minis in two assortment boxes and card decks cut into thinner ones to fit. Only the siege engines and boats that come with BotTA are in their original zipbag.

For reference: Boxes are Curver Assortment Box Large (250x186x52mm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original game and the expansion. My first method for storage was a large plano-style box for the miniatures a smaller one for the various tokens, a small card box for the decks/reference cards.

I scrapped this because I had a hard time fitting all of it into the box like this, especially after getting the expansion so what I’m doing now uses more Ziploc bags.

All of the armies are in a bag by themselves, all of the characters are in another bag, everything else is pretty much as it was.

As far as armies looking similar, this is true… One thing many people have done is painting the figures. Even if you’re not up for painting up all of these miniatures in a table-top quality scheme you could easily use a spray paint to paint them all mono-colors, a different color for each army, either based on the board colors or using whatever colors you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I'm using. The board and rulebook sit atop. Each faction is sorted out by regular, elite and leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figilano wrote:
jellospike wrote:
Ziploc baggies?

That's what I did. Ziploc in the original game box.

Same here, bagged per nation (some snack, some sandwich baggies). A few snack baggies here and there for dice and tokens.

It all fits back into the box (w/the insert). I don't bag the cards though. The insert has a nice spot for them already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another hands up here for ziploc bags. I've got each of the nations in a separate bag. I did make custom tuckboxes for all the the cards and I've got all the counters in small plastic containers, but everything fits well, including the expansion components from BotTA.

Once separated, setup time was quite fast. Now that my bases are colored according to nation, it's even quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution was to use Ultra-Pro card boxes of various sizes (25-, 50-, 100-, and 150-count). Here's how they all look in the box.

The left column consists of the Shadow armies. From bottom to top: red Sauron forces, orange Southrons & Easterlings, yellow Isengard, and black Nazgul (with nickels glued to their bases for stability).

Middle column consists of the FP armies: dark blue Gondor, dark green Rohan, light blue North, light green Elves, brown Dwarves, and character cards.

Right column has the other bits: dice (including pimped-out combat dice), pawns to mark settlements (and count VPs), red and blue hunt tiles, companions/minions/gemstones, stacking chips (replacing the useless original counters), and the four decks of cards.

Very right: Mount Doom, black velvet bag used to hold hunt tiles, and card holders used to prop up cards in front of each player (looted from Memoir '44).

I have the expansion figures (Trebuchets, Siege Engines, Corsairs, Dunlendings, and Ents) in more Ultra-Pro boxes. They normally go on the very right — Mount Doom, the velvet bag, and the card holders then get moved to the very top to make room. It will all just fit. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.