Subject: Trouble with Vassal module rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just started playing CC:Europe (and am really enjoying it). I am experienced with Vassal modules for a few other games and a mate and I made our first attempt at the CC:Europe module last night and just couldn't get it to run. Each of us could load a scenario but the other was unable to synch as we would in other games. Are we missing something?

Thanks,

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be something on their side. I tried to get in on Tuesday night and it didn't seem to be working right. It would say I was logged in, but the Main Room wouldn't come up. I thought it was just me, but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brent,

there seem to have been a number of problems with Vassal over the past few weeks such as the games list window not refreshing and the server occasionally dropping out. Fortunately these problems have been rare and it has been my experience that Vassal is normally fairly reliable.

Combat Commander however is a big and complicated module.

The advantage of this is that it works out a lot of things for you such as automatically adding in leader bonuses and calculating fire totals.

The disadvantage is that it can be a bit of a memory hog and may take a bit of time to actually perform the functions you are trying to carry out, especially if you have selected a number of units to perform the function at the same time.

In addition to this it can take quite some time to send the information from one player to another when you 'Synch', in my experience this can take a number of minutes (that seems a lot longer when you're waiting for it).

So if you can be a little patient it probably will work and is definitely worth the wait once you get into it as it is one of the best games and best modules around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vassal server has been experiencing "difficulties" the past week - First there was an outage from the ISP as a line got cut, then after that was fixed by the host there was a crash of the server and it had to be rebooted.

All should be resolved now till the next problem comes along...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the Combat Commander module. Is there only the one? I'm personally not a fan of all the auto calculations that the module does. I would much prefer a more standard module that runs smoother and quicker.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. I think the problem must have been with the module rather than the server or our connection....when we gave up we fired up a game of Hannibal with no problem.

hank__hill wrote:
Speaking of the Combat Commander module. Is there only the one? I'm personally not a fan of all the auto calculations that the module does. I would much prefer a more standard module that runs smoother and quicker.

Scott

I'd have to agree here. I'm used to far more basic Vassal modules which are just graphic interfaces and I was quite excited about all the bells and whistles with this one (love the sound effects accompanying the card triggers ). However, I do prefer having to do everything myself, particularly when I'm new to a game.....I think it's better for learning and makes me feel more like I'm actually playing the boardgame. I also think simple is good, because it's less prone to the delays, hangups and crashes we encountered trying to get this one running. Nevertheless, this looks like a fantastic game and a beautiful module and I'll definitely persist with it.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Vassal module, and I greatly appreciate all the bells and whistles. That said, I am having a few niggles with it:

1) It doesn't seem to auto-add leadership modifiers to weapons firepower, which it should (for machine guns, not for weapons with a white bar).

2) Speaking of those white bar weapons, I can't ever seem to activate them for a to hit roll. The range option is always grayed out.

Other than that, though, I think it might be my favorite Vassal module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Have you tried equipping the weapon with a squad or team first? Weapons assigned to leader don't get modified, so the Vassal module has to know who is actually carrying the weapon. Once the weapon has been equipped by a squad or team, dropping a leader on the weapon will modify the stats.

(Equipping also has the benefit of applying the movement modifier of the weapon to the right unit.)

Edit - adding some images:

Can you provide more details on the Mortar issue? If I play a FIRE order, activate the Mortar, then select "To Hit#", my options that are out of range are grayed out, but I can select any "in range" numbers appropriate to the mortar:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, thanks for the reply. I'm playing Scenario 10, and I have a flamethrower equipped to a squad and ready to fire at an adjacent unit, but rather than asking me for the range or anything like that, I simply get this grayed-out option for the To Hit range, which is to say that it looks like your image, but the only box available is Range 1 and it is grayed out. Targeting the hex I'm attacking first doesn't seem to help, nor does trying to tap the To Hit box on the right side of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible you're trying to fire with the squad too as in a fire group? White band weapons can't be part of an FG. Also is it during Op fire? White band weapons can't Op Fire either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm using the weapon independent of a fire group and during my turn. And this is with both the flamethrower and the squad marked as equipped and with the stack activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
works for me.

Did you play your fire card as an order or action? It must be an order - its easy to accidently select Action which white band weapons cannot participate in because that would really be Op Fire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I have the same results as Tim (who is the developer of the vassal module by the way, so should know his vassal stuff):

FT Activated via a FIRE ORDER - OK to shot (TO HIT # is selectable)

FT Activated via a FIRE ACTION - NG to shot (TO HIT # is grayed out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
hank__hill wrote:
Speaking of the Combat Commander module. Is there only the one? I'm personally not a fan of all the auto calculations that the module does. I would much prefer a more standard module that runs smoother and quicker. Scott

I could not figure out how all-of-that worked in the past. Made it more complicated for me. So I stopped playing the game on Vassal because of it.
But then today we decided to give it another try, as my old gaming buddy moved out of the country and we fancied another CC game...

Now, unless I'm very much mistaken, all of these extra things (except for sounds) are taken out of the module, is that correct? It certainly made it a lot easier to play I dare say.

A question I have: what are the two rectangles for? The Axis orders and Allies order just between the time track and top of the map? Nothing seems to happen there?

And one more: is there no track to keep track (uhu) of current firepower points as in the real game? We solved that by typing it. But maybe I'm overlooking something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
Now, unless I'm very much mistaken, all of these extra things (except for sounds) are taken out of the module, is that correct? It certainly made it a lot easier to play I dare say.

You are not mistaken.

Pokke wrote:
A question I have: what are the two rectangles for? The Axis orders and Allies order just between the time track and top of the map? Nothing seems to happen there?

It's a leftover from the previous fully automated module and is no longer used.

Pokke wrote:
And one more: is there no track to keep track (uhu) of current firepower points as in the real game? We solved that by typing it. But maybe I'm overlooking something?

No. You type it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.