Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandt Fundak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it was pointed out to me that I shorted myself the last time I tried to play a solo session of RTtA, I thought I would give it another go. It's amazing how much better you do when you don't shoot yourself in the foot from the get-go.

Round 1
Resources Available: 3 food

Since I now know I start the game with 3 food, I'm able to pretty much ignore food to start the game. For my first roll, I roll 3 workers, a good and a skull. The workers are what I am looking for to get my next city, so I keep that and re-roll the other two, getting a 2 food/worker die and a good. I decide to keep the food/worker die and roll again, getting another 3 workers. I bank the 2 food, and with my 6 workers I grab a fourth city and three quarters of a fifth city.

Round 2
Resources Available: 2 food

I now have four dice to work with, so I am hoping to finish off that fifth city. I roll a 2 food/worker, 2 coins and a skull. I decide to keep all but the skull, and roll another coin. I decide to stop there, feeding my cities with 4 food and buying coinage with my 21 coins.

Round 3
Resources Available: none

I am still looking to get the fifth city, so I roll 2 2 food/worker dice and 2 goods. I decide to keep the 2 food/worker dice and re-roll another 2 food/worker and a 3 food. I keep the 3 food and re-roll one of the 2 food/worker die, getting 3 workers. I convert one of the 2 food/workers to food, feeding my cities and banking 1 food, and then use the 5 workers to finish city number five and applying 4 of them to city number six.

Round 4
Resources Available: 1 food

I'm still looking to get all seven dice into play before going after any monuments, so I am hoping for workers and food. I roll 3 food, 2 workers, 2 food/workers and 2 skulls. I keep everything but the skulls and re-roll a coin and a good. I decide to re-roll the good and get another 3 food. Combined with the 1 food I was already carrying, I am now able to bank 2 food with the 2 3 food dice. I convert the 2 food/workers to workers and use 1 to complete the sixth city, and apply the other 4 to the seventh. Since coins are now worth 12 to me thanks to Coinage, I buy Leadership, entitling me to re-roll one die after my rolls have completed.

Round 5
Resources Available: 2 food

I want to get the seventh city in play by the end of the round so I can start working on other things (namely, monuments) and my initial roll is helpful to this end: 2 3 worker dice, a 2 food/worker, 3 food, a good and a skull. I decide to keep everything but the good and the skull and re-roll a coin and a good. I keep the coin and re-roll the good, grabbing another coin. Since I know I have enough food to move forward and enough workers for the seventh city, I re-roll one of the 3 worker die for my Leadership roll and get a good. Once I feed my cities and take my 1 wood, I build the seventh city and put one worker toward the Great Pyramid. With my 24 coins I buy Religion.

Round 6
Resources Available: 1 food, 1 wood

Now all seven cities are in play, so I can focus on monuments and developments. I roll 3 food, 3 workers, 2 food/workers, 2 goods, a coin and a skull with my first roll. I keep anything having to do with food and the coin and re-roll the rest, getting another food/worker, a coin and 2 3 worker dice. Again, I bank the potential food and coin and re-roll 3 food and 2 food/workers. Now that I have more than enough food, I re-roll one of the 2 food/worker dice with my Leadership development and get 3 workers. After feeding my cities, I put 5 workers toward the Great Pyramid and buy the Caravans development with my 24 coins.

Round 7
Resources Available: 2 food, 1 wood

Ultimately, I think developments are a better move than monuments, so I am really looking for coins and lots of them. I roll 3 food, 2 2 food/worker dice, 3 workers, 2 goods and a coin. Again, I bank all of the potential food and the coin and re-roll 3 food, 3 workers and a skull. I keep the 3 food and re-roll what's left, including the 2 food/worker dice I had banked the previous roll, getting 2 coins, a food/worker and 3 workers. I decide to use Leadership to re-roll the food/worker and get a good. I feed my cities and take 1 wood, put 3 to work on the Great Pyramid and with my 36 coins buy Masonry.

Round 8
Resources Available: 1 food, 2 wood

I'm still thinking developments and my first roll only feeds into that, giving me 3 3 worker dice, 2 coins, a food/worker and a skull. I keep the coins and the food/worker and re-roll everything else, getting a coin, 2 3 food and a skull. I re-roll the skull, getting 3 food. For my leadership roll, I decide to re-roll the food/worker now that I have 9 food in hand and hit another coin. After feeding my cities, I sell the 2 wood for 3 coins and combined with the 48 I have in hand, I buy the Architecture development, which will give me bonus points, should I be able to complete any monuments (but I'm running out of time.)

Round 9
Resources Available: 3 food

Since I now have Architecture, I want to make sure I get the damned Pyramid done. I roll 2 3 food dice, 2 2 food/worker dice a coin, a good and a skull. I keep the 3 food dice and the coin and re-roll a coin, 3 food, and 2 2 food/worker dice. I keep the coin and re-roll again, getting 3 food, 3 workers and a skull. I use Leadership to re-roll the skull and end up getting only 1 good instead of two. After feeding and taking my 1 wood, I apply my 4 workers (thanks to the Masonry bonus) to the Great Pyramid and spend my 24 coins on Quarrying.

Round 10
Resources Available: 5 food, 1 wood

I am hoping that I can somehow get enough resources to finish the Great Pyramid and hopefully get Empire, but that seems unlikely. My first roll is a coin, 2 food/workers, 2 3 worker dice, 2 goods and a skull. I keep the coin and re-roll everything else, getting 2 more coins, 3 food, 2 food/workers, a good and a skull. I keep the coins and food and re-roll 2 coins and a 2 food/worker--just what I need to finish the Great Pyramid (with one worker left over thanks to Masonry) and buy the Empire development.

Final Score: 61 points

Final Analysis: It's amazing how much better you do when you aren't scrounging for food in the first round. Since none of my dice had to be devoted to food, I was able to grow early and open up what I could do with my rolls. I seemed to enjoy it more this second time around, but I still feel like the game is way more fun multi-player, and I will probably stick to playing Agricola solo for the foreseeable future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not allowed to re-roll skulls.
That might make it a bit harder again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxx_Pointy wrote:
You're not allowed to re-roll skulls.
That might make it a bit harder again.

When you are playing the solo game you can re-roll skulls like every other die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to re-roll skulls when playing Solo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I just can't allow myself to re-roll them. Seems like cheating, and against the point of the game. How am I going to get better at playing against others?

And a good way to get the rules wrong, when teaching the game to others later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandt Fundak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Personally, I just can't allow myself to re-roll them. Seems like cheating, and against the point of the game. How am I going to get better at playing against others?

I don't disagree with this.

Something has not sat well with me when playing it solo. This might be it. By getting to re-roll the skulls, you can pretty much avoid any problems and post monster scores. I would assume that if I kept the skulls in play like in the multi-player game, making a mad dash to seven cities might not be the best of ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Yeah, this is what I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.