Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the title pretty much says it all. I've been talking to a publisher recently about having it printed, but naturally, they are hesitant to risk a large print run without knowing if there is interest (and a small print run wouldn't be cost effective).
Poll
Would you buy a professionally printed copy of Europa (assuming the price was fair)?
Yes
No
It really depends on the price
      24 answers
Poll created by sklar

If you are interested, what would you consider a fair price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
20$ US. 30 if you toss in a set of cards too.

This reminds me... I still need to finish Venus..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think around $10-$15 US would be good for a mounted map. Maybe as high as $20, but that's pushing it just for a map.

Frankly for $5 more than $20, I can get today's Tanga deal and have a complete game including mounted map, cards, cubes, bag, cardboard counters, etc... (1960: The Making of the President).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your replies, marhawkman and TMJJS.

For the other voters that said "it really depends on the price", what would you consider a fair price? What about if it included all the appropriate cards?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally probably wouldn't pay more than $20 to $25 for the whole set. I'm not saying it's not worth more in general, but I don't know if I could justify for myself paying more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
United States
Strongsville (Cleveland SW Suburb)
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
It depends on the quality of the print (resolution) and the board (especially if the print stays pasted to the board or not).

I'd be willing to pay around 30$ for a well printed board.

I'm so glad that our arrangement has spurred you to think about doing this! There hasn't been much activity on Risk 2210 variant/expansion fronts.

I tried contacting O. Ahmed, Geoff Burbridge, and a few others who have made some of these variant maps to see if they are willing to give permission for insurgency gaming to do a board, and if they are interested in making some new maps (I'd love to see an all water map or an all land map or something out of a science fiction movie).

Really for enthusiasts of the expanded all variant Galaxy Risk 2210, there needs to be a professional quality to the boards so they last over time because lamination can yellow over time and get scratched, and printed paper just doens't have that official look and feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
United States
Strongsville (Cleveland SW Suburb)
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I can't wait to see what you come up with! I'm hoping/wishing for some professional looking maps that can stand next to my Io, Europa, Phobos and Deimos, Asteroids, Mars, and Antartica boards.

And yes I am aware that no matter how long humanity exists for, Venus will never be trully inhabitable.

I also think that you shouldn't limit yourself to reality either though. Since most of the truly habital planets/moons have been exhausted, why not free yourself of Earth's solar system and go with pure imagination for an Extra solar Risk 2210 Galaxy variant? There are hundreds of planetary ideas from new exo planets being discovered (super earths and mega gas giants with moons the size of earth or larger) as well as from science fiction/fantasy movies, television, and comic books.

I'd love to see someone do a map of Hades/Crematoria from The Chronicles of Riddick, the planet in Dune, the planet from Earth 2 (the tv series),
Kamino, Alderaan, Tatooine and many other Star Wars planets should get some love too!

And if doing a whole planet is too daunting a challenge or takes up too much time from work or school, consider doing a few moons (they are likely alot easier to produce since they are just pictures with territories drawn on top of them). Many of the new exoplanets being discovered are super Jupiters failed near star sized planets that could support several Earth sized or smaller planets/moons and remain in the fabled "Goldilocks Zone".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorbash81 wrote:
And yes I am aware that no matter how long humanity exists for, Venus will never be trully inhabitable.

True, but MODs can go where people can't. Automated mining operations and remote monitoring and control of equipment could be run from orbiting space stations positioned to remain on the lee side of the planet to ensure they are shielded from the sun.

Of course, such orbital platforms housing the human leaders would also be a prime combat zone, too. Imagine the possibilities!

robot

Oh, on the cost...$20-$25 if there are also cards. (I just got a Memoir '44 expansion from my local game store for $21 and it had a map, cards, and 6 molded plastic Tiger tanks. If a bricks and morter retailer can make a profit on such an item at that price point, I am reasonably sure that a printer can.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldwarrior1984 wrote:
Of course, such orbital platforms housing the human leaders would also be a prime combat zone, too. Imagine the possibilities!
Ah, we think alike! I gave Venus a set of "moons" that are a giant series of orbital facilities. Hmm... not sure if I'll get a chance to finish it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you do get these printed, we would happily take some to sell to the UK and Europe market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.