Subject: Various Q's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Stevens
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Just picked up the game, read the rulebook over the last week, and gave it a spin last night with a friend, refreshing myself on the rules as I taught him to play. I ended up with a few issues I'm not entirely clear on:

If you're in the same position with the enemy (range 0) how do you shoot a bearing? What is the impact window/firing angle?

Do you mark damage on the SSD ship outline AND the system tracks, or just the system tracks? Basically, can you damage the same box twice? And if it's just damage to system tracks, do two missiles that hit the same location on the same turn still each deal full damage to those systems?

I couldn't quite make sense of the section on figuring out whether you could hit the enemy with a weapon or not. Instead of counting windows from the top/bottom and the closest orientation marker, I mapped the firing windows from the weapon mounts onto the AVID. For example, the Port Broadside was the window my Port marker was in and every one adjacent to it, including diagonally. Does this have the same effect as the written rule?

When rolling, even though I couldn't find it in the rules, I assume that your end point needs to be 90 degrees away from your front's end point and your midpoint needs to be 90 degrees away from your front's midpoint. Is this correct?

The rules in the section on pivoting/rolling indicate that you should round down to decide the midpoint when pivoting/rolling an odd number of windows, but the example images have the midpoint rounded up. Which is correct?

We played the Battle of Basilisk scenario. Fearless closed with the armed merchant, and the first two missile salvos against her were completely wiped out by ECM, CM's, and PD. As soon as she closed to range for middle salvos, she rolled wedge to get in closer, but the first 20-missile salvo that hit her wedge completely destroyed her. 14 were taken down by ECM, no CM's were rolled, and PD rounded down made 0 kills. The remaining six impacts hit two SI boxes and she failed her roll or die. We realized later that she could have launched a decoy, but she probably still wouldn't have survived. Does it sound like we did something wrong, or did Fearless get very unlucky? It seems almost like rolling wedge is only marginally more effective than facing with a broadside and getting countermissiles.

Thanks in advance! This game looks like it'll be pretty fun, but we need to figure out exactly how to play first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I don't have my rulebook on me, so these are from memory.

Smashblade wrote:

If you're in the same position with the enemy (range 0) how do you shoot a bearing? What is the impact window/firing angle?

Use the bearing from the midpoint markers before the move.

Quote:
Do you mark damage on the SSD ship outline AND the system tracks, or
just the system tracks?

Just the system tracks.

Quote:
I couldn't quite make sense of the section on figuring out whether you could hit the enemy with a weapon or not. Instead of counting windows from the top/bottom and the closest orientation marker, I mapped the firing windows from the weapon mounts onto the AVID. For example, the Port Broadside was the window my Port marker was in and every one adjacent to it, including diagonally. Does this have the same effect as the written rule?

It should work. The rules as written are also found in Attack Vector:Tactical and Squadron Strike where the firing arcs are not so neat and prim.

Quote:
When rolling, even though I couldn't find it in the rules, I assume that your end point needs to be 90 degrees away from your front's end point and your midpoint needs to be 90 degrees away from your front's midpoint. Is this correct?

Yes; otherwise, you'll fold up your ship.

Quote:
The rules in the section on pivoting/rolling indicate that you should round down to decide the midpoint when pivoting/rolling an odd number of windows, but the example images have the midpoint rounded up. Which is correct?

I believe you are suppose to round up on the map and down on the AVID. I'll have to check the rulebook.

Quote:
Does it sound like we did something wrong, or did Fearless get very unlucky? It seems almost like rolling wedge is only marginally more effective than facing with a broadside and getting countermissiles.

Hard to say if you did something wrong. In the book, the Fearless was hammered and survived by shear luck as the Haven ship didn't know about the Grav Lance.

Even in the books, rolling the wedge started becoming ineffective once everyone started using Laser Heads on their missiles instead of the old-style impacters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Stevens
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks a bunch! Glad to know we were doing stuff right. The page with the rounded up midpoint is page 21, top right illustration. It seems to me that the midpoint should be Blue, D. The AVID example on page 26 also has the midpoint of the roll rounded up, but looking at it now I realize it's to make it match the pivot midpoint. That makes sense, I just didn't see that explained in the rules anywhere.

Gonna give the game another swing next week on the next scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.