Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no clear reading on this, but I was wondering what sort of demographic breakdown the American BGGers tend to fall into. Gaming is for everybody, but I get a strong impression that US BGGers tend towards the religious and conservative (mostly from looking at Microbadges, but also through content like forum posts and lists, etc.). It would make some sense to me, as I imagine board gamers tend to have families and the nature of board gaming (as opposed to video gaming) might also tend to be older. And older people with families tend to be religious and conservative.

For the record, I'm neither, and don't have a problem with it. Just interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been polls about this before.

The average BGGer is in his 30s. While many have kids, Americans born in the 70s are not really all that conservative as a whole, so I'd not expect the BGG community to be all that conservative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewfoerster wrote:
I've no clear reading on this, but I was wondering what sort of demographic breakdown the American BGGers tend to fall into. Gaming is for everybody, but I get a strong impression that US BGGers tend towards the religious and conservative (mostly from looking at Microbadges, but also through content like forum posts and lists, etc.). It would make some sense to me, as I imagine board gamers tend to have families and the nature of board gaming (as opposed to video gaming) might also tend to be older. And older people with families tend to be religious and conservative.

Spend some time on the Religion, Sex & Politics Forum. You won't find a predominance of religious convservatives there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'd figured there'd have been polls. I don't encounter many BGGers "in the wild" and I'm into the hobby and was wondering what sort of person would really get into something as (sort of) esoteric as board gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
andrewfoerster wrote:

Spend some time on the Religion, Sex & Politics Forum. You won't find a predominance of religious convservatives there.

That's because they're too busy playing games to get involved in the verbal pissing matches here.

HEY!! Are you guys playing a game?!?!? Wait for me!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
A more interesting poll: How many RSPers actually play boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
rcbevco wrote:
A more interesting poll: How many RSPers actually play boardgames?
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Here's the man with all the BGG polls: 1000rpm's Polls Notification Thread - Just Subscribe!

You might like to start off here and see where it leads you: Social Trends and The Geek - POLL RESULTS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
BGG America breakdown?

We could only wish. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.