• [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's actually a fairly disconcerting sense of calm on Long Island -- I think most people thing, "ah, there's been talk before, and nothing ever happens."

Thing is - when you look at the last MAJOR hurricane to hit LI (the Long Island Express in 1938), the path projects very nearly to Earl's path.

One big difference though, is that Earl is only moving at 18mph, whereas the 1938 hurricane churned forward at 70mph (which meant, as it entered the colder waters, it didn't weaken all that much...)

Still, Earl *could* do some damage here; there's an expectation it's gonna turn away, last-minute; but if it doesn't that's winds of 110mph hitting LI - that's Category 2 or 3......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeeze, from space it looks wwaaayyy more ominous than on a "weather radar"

I'm reading a series of books right now called the "Weather Warden" series. Looks like this storm was ripped right out of it's pages.

~Jeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a nice photo!

One of my favorite photos ever was taken from the space shuttle of Super Typhoon Winnie (a Cat 5 hurricane) back in August of 1997. That reminded me of it.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap970819.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Thing is - when you look at the last MAJOR hurricane to hit LI (the Long Island Express in 1938), the path projects very nearly to Earl's path.

Earl is projected to be Cat 2 when it gets near Long Island. And unlike, say, Katrina, when the NHC projections were dead on, the projections have been trending west ever since Earl formed. Areas that were 5% chance of tropical storm force winds are now 50% chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who looks at the space station picture and thinks that we'll never get to Star Trek at this rate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
Am I the only one who looks at the space station picture and thinks that we'll never get to Star Trek at this rate...

And I thought garbage bags were a good solution for space vehicle skins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Looks pretty nasty!!!!!!!

Dang!! Rhode Island is getting reamed!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.