United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are pretty much games you ended up changing your mind about. Not right away, but eventually. I'm sure people are gonna put down anywhere from 0 to 26 anyways, but I suppose an set number has a more pleasing effect as a forum topic title. I myself don't have 5, but will fill in the blanks if I can recall enough of them.....

5 games I never thought I'd stop playing...
Settlers Of Catan
IRL for a dozen games, online on Sea3d for another 300. It was frustrating b/c the game took longer IRL, and IRL, there are always other games I would rather play. On Sea3d, I'd imagine much like any online, multiplayer environment, a few bad apples in the community turned me away. Don't get me wrong, I had some great games. Some of my most memorable ones are those where I lost horribly. The mantra of "it's just a game, just have fun" was lost on many b/c in the end, some people made it waaay too much about winning, ratings, and ladder rankings.

Seafarers Of Catan
There were far less opportunities to play this IRL since it wouldn't be uncommon to have someone never play Settlers before (better to start off with Settlers instead), so having this implemented on Sea3d as well was a nice asset. Still, it still bears the name of Settlers Of Catan and its gameplay, so again, while I had many nice games, the way people poured their competitive spirit into these games made it too frustrating... making it about ratings and ladder rankings.

Kingsburg
I liked this game enough to get it right off the bat. Yet, the "scripted" gameplay just made things very "memorize and spit". Sure, what you roll and how you deploy your dice can make for some unique games, but to me, it's not just enough. The exp would help alleviate this, but alas, I made a judgement call to not get it since I don't think it'll get played enough. There's that hurdle to overcome, specifically, if someone's never played the game before, then playing without the expansion is recommended. That and the game takes a long time.

Shadows Over Camelot
Yeah, this is a good one I missed. It got played a few times (problems are a combination that new games can take up to 1.5 hours and some are lukewarm about the traitor mechanic). In fact, it's awkward for newbies, but for people who master the game, it feels more mechanic at that point. I considered getting the Merlin's Company expansion, but even BSG as is (exp wasn't out then) was what I stuck with. I did get a chance to try out MC with someone else's copy. It adds some neat elements and characters to the game, but it still pales in comparison to BSG.

5 games I never thought I'd get into...
Carcassonne
Still better than Settlers Of Catan. One thing that sparked interest again was many of my groups are finally acquainted with the base game, so expansions are now possible, thus making things more exciting for my tastes. Even though the iOS version only has the base game, the games play so quickly, and can be saved that it's very convenient to play, anytime, anywhere. The Solitaire mode helps alot, even though it's not the Carc. that most people know of.

Apples To Apples
Those who've been paying attention will know that I hate this game with a passion. Yet, if I'm backed into a corner, I don't need to have illusions of going postal to get me through such an incredibly boring game. I have plenty of games on my PDA/phone that it's a good time to catch up there.

As for games that fit this topic I've noticed in others....
Glory to Rome is a good one for something that alot of gamers eventually got into. Many of them I predict would like this, as it's very tactical, something heavier gamers would like. In the end, it turned true. Many of them added GtR as one of their favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought I'd stop playing
Apples to Apples - Found this incredibly novel and entertaining on first play. Played it a whole lot. Then, middle of a session, I suddenly realized I wasn't having any fun at all. I can still play it from time to time, but it always burns out halfway through the second game (which I try to prevent for that reason).

Munchkin - As a D&D player I found my first few plays of Munchkin hilarious. Once the jokes started to wear thin though, the flaws in game design got more and more apparent. I suppose I could have chased the dragon and bought the spinoffs and expansions, but I've got kids to feed*

*Note: I have no kids to feed.

Umm, can't think of any games that I never thought I'd get into...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I liked then stopped liking:

Settlers of Catan

Games I didn't like at first, then liked:

Maharaja
Twilight Struggle
Race for the Galaxy
Brass

Games I thought I would absolutely love, and did not:

Quo Vadis?
Evo
Tribune
Perikles
Ideology

Games I thought I would dislike, and actually like:

Through the Desert
Beowulf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 I never foresaw stopping playing:

1) Dominion
2) 1960 Making of the President
3) Lost Cities
4) Pandemic
5) Race for the Galaxy

5 Games I never though I would get into:

1) Star Wars Saga RPG
2) Caylus
3) Hive
4) San Juan
5) Imperial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This seems surprisingly hard for me. I guess I don't come to games with a lot of preconceived notions about liking or not liking them. And once I have an opinion, I don't change it much - and I'm pretty slow to form that opinion too.

I've resolved to try to learn to like Formula D, even though in the past I've liked it less... but I don't get to play it enough to try to make good on that. I liked Die Macher, but I've decided the polls are way too influential in the result... but I still like it a lot, just somewhat less than before.

Easier for me is lising games that I can't believe I'm not playing more of because I played a lot in the past and now, we never seem to make time for them;

1) Illuminati
2) Samurai Swords
3) Advanced Civilization
4) Space Hulk
5) Warmachine

I could keep going - that list feels like the "stopped playing" list to me, but I didn't stop playing them. I just never seem to be able to make time for them even though in each case I sure mean to at the first chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I thought I'd never stop playing was Euchre. Then I was introduced to Bid Euchre. That was it for Euchre.

Other than that, I'll pretty much play any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
kingsburg

Yeah, they constrained the die roll randomness by making everything too fungible. There are a lot of "resource games" with a few too many resources (feels like artificial padding), but this is a clear-cut case of the opposite. The expansion does help with other things, but it doesn't address the core resource acquisition "issue" (which is clearly a matter of taste).

OK, 5 that I never thought I'd stop playing:
Illuminati: So variable, so many moving parts and "devious" plans, but...it's just too long, and plays out along such similar lines every game. It's still fun, but there's such a huge opportunity cost here.

Axis & Allies: Again, way too long (and with no real interaction on each turn, the downtime is huge). And now, in light of Axis & Allies: Pacific (the only one I'll still consider playing), the ridiculous victory conditions of the "improved" editions make all of them a non-starter. Such a fall from grace of a game I loved so much at one time.... Anyone want to take Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition off my hands?

Colossal Arena: I could drone on with the old-school stuff (Supremacy, other gamemaster games, etc.), but here's a more modern one. Thought this was amazing at first, but then the same things happened again and again: early effective elimination mostly at random (you need to place bets, and something has to die), and kingmaking by the affected parties at the end. Every time. Not that isn't some skill in misdirection and management, but....

Dune: Don't get me wrong, I still love this game, but...it's for too specific an audience, and too long and rule-intensive to boot. Every time we've played it, half the group just doesn't really get into it b/c they're not into Dune, and then critical rules are missed/forgotten, and victory is eventually "earned" through disinterest or inattention. I really thought after seeing the genius of the core system that people would get into it for that reason alone and we'd play it a ton, but...didn't work out.

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization: Cheating a little here, because I would play this again and likely will before the year is out, but...I thought this would be an instant hit and played constantly. But after the first couple of games, we started to cool on it. I still respect it, but I don't really like the military system, and despite the variable draw order, the game gets a bit samey. So I need a long break from it.

Flip side, 5 that I never thought I'd get into:
Take it Easy!: I got it fairly blind, thinking it might be useful for my kids to learn simple addition, but I really enjoy this, and enjoy the follow-up even more.

OK, just one I guess. This is much harder for me, as I tend to do a lot of research, and I play with friends, not a "game group" so there aren't too many surprises. Can't really think of others. There are some that I'll tolerate, but I wouldn't call that something I'm "into."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I never thought I'd stop playing:

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie: Was insanely shocked at both the cool paint jobs, modular terrain, and simple rules when I first discovered this game. The more I played, the more disenfranchised I became with it to the point where I finally gave up on it. The heavy luck factor bothered me a lot (especially the luck-driven unit special powers, ugh) while the huge hassle of storing terrain and units, along with having to build and store pre-made maps to speed up gameplay also got on my nerves over time. The final straw was seeing how no effort was being made to re-release past hard-to-find products and at realizing that the game was hardly cheap even a year or two after launch since multiple packs were extremely useful. That and the poor WotC support and bizarre recent changes to the figures really put the nail in the coffin for me with this game.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark: Loved the idea at first of a fun head-to-head RPG boardgame romp but the more time I had playing this game system, the more I realized that it has a TON of issues. The most notable for me were the set-up time, the playing time, the imbalances, the fact that it becomes a 1v1 game since a good DM will target only the weakest link in the player group over and over again, and the fact that if the DM is to win the game, it'll usually happen midway through the game, which leads to people not wanting to play a second time since that could be 2-3 hours into play. Just a cool idea that never realizes its potential, imho.

Games I never thought I'd get into
:

Warhammer: Invasion: Mainly because I had grown weary of CCG-style games a while back and didn't expect that a new card game could so thoroughly and enjoyably capture my interest. Then W:I showed up and wowed my socks off. Been playing it a ton ever since launch a year ago and still enjoy it as much today as I did at launch. Great, great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
5 Games I Didn't think I'd Quit

Carcassonne
Pandemic
Mr. Jack in New York
Heroscape
Neuroshima Hex

However, I wouldn't say I completely STOPPED playing, just haven't played a ton of games. These did experience heavy dropoff, but all are still some of my favorites in my Top 10, Just a lack of opponents.

Game I didn't think I'd get into

Amazonas
Hurry C'up
Bazaar
Apples to Apples

Couldn't find five, I mainly buy games that I enjoy or know alot about. There may be a few to add to the list soon, as I also buy games on sale and those are some of my biggest finds. I love Amazonas and Hurry C'up and I found both at 75% off sales. I hope one of the card games like Mamma Mia makes that second list. Amazonaas is just a gem, I love that game, never played Ticket to Ride but I hear its very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've burned out on

Risk (I couldn't get enough of this at uni, now I haven't played it since 2005)

Settlers of Catan (played it quite a lot, but it gets samey and the randomness is annoying.40-50 plays)

Power Grid (was my #1 favourite game for a long time, now I'll still play it but I prefer something else. 50-80 plays)

Brass (was excellent for about 30 plays, currently I haven't taken it off the shelf in months. I think I've explored all the corners of strategy)

Starcraft (was my favourite game for about 6-12 months, at my peak I played it about once per week, racking up 30-40 plays, but I haven't played in months.)

Also Evo, Vinci, Railroad Tycoon, Antike, Imperial, Bohnanza, Pandemic, Downfall of Pompeii were all highly enjoyable games in heavy rotation for a number of plays, then unexpectedly started to get left on the shelf.

I didn't expect to get into:

Puerto Rico (played a few times, didn't enjoy it, left it on the shelf for over a year, then got heavily into it)

Race for the Galaxy (didn't enjoy my first 10 plays, only played because others wanted to. Then I found Keldon's AI and now I play it all the time.)

Battlestar Galactica (that's the same thing as Star Trek, right? I can't stand technobabble and people who learn Klingon and dress up for their nerd conventions. My mistake, BSG is both an excellent game and TV show - even for normal people!)

St Petersburg (came very close to trading, then suddenly something clicked)

Lord of the Rings confrontation (bought in a charity shop for 99p - I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, didn't think I'd like it but it's really good.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought I'd stop playing, but did
Settlers of Catan - I was freakin' raised on this game. My dad picked up a copy back in the mid-90s the first year it came out. I even played Settlers of Canaan. And yet, I can barely tolerate this game nowadays

Pandemic - I still enjoy this game, but I haven't played it in over 10 months. I don't see this game being played any time soon.

Arkham Horror - played it for three months straight, but haven't picked it up since November 2009.

Finca - I used this game as a precursor to Agricola/Caylus/Le Havre (even though Finca is it's own game, of course). Then I realized that I could effectively teach those games to people without needing Finca.

Never thought I'd get into, but ended up liking
Catan Card game - I've had my heart hardened against anything Catan since before Y2k destroyed everything. Catan Card game changed my mind about Catan.

Android - after getting out of Arkham Horror, why would I get another one of AH's designer's boardgames? Well, Android is sweet. That's all I can say.

Race for the Galaxy - this is now one of my favorites, but my impressions of the game used to be "how can a deck of cards be as complex as people claim?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought I'd stop playing:

Settlers of Catan: My gateway game. I have strong nostalgic feelings for the game, but the only time I want to play it is on the rare occasions when I get together with the other players I used to play the game with.

Magic the Gathering: I was a MtG junkie for a good 7 or 8 years and loved every minute of it. The deck building, the collecting, the time spent with friends - loved it. Eventually things changed and we couldn't get together regularly to play anymore. That, combined with the power creep of newer expansions led me to dump my collection for a load of cash. I picked over the scraps and sold them to CollStuffInc to start my boardgame collection.

Shadows over Camelot: I loved this game for a while. The whole "hidden traitor" mechanism was new to me and added a fascinating element of suspicion and paranoia to the game I hadn't seen before. After a few plays I started to feel that games without a traitor, or with a poorly played traitor, weren't very enjoyable. Once the traitor has been revealed the game becomes much less interesting.

Games I never thought I'd get into:

Formula D: I couldn't be less interested in auto racing. Last year at my monthly game group, at one point I was looking to get into a game and the only thing starting up was Formula D so I sat down figuring it would be better than doing nothing. It turned out to be a fun game!

Container: A dry, zero-luck economic game about shipping cargo? No thank you. Much to my surprise it turned out to be a tense, cutthroat experience and one of my favorites.

Battlestar Galactica: I never had any interest in the TV series, largely because I'm not generally interested in the sci-fi genre. However, season 1 fell into my lap at a cheap price and we watched it and were hooked. The boardgame wasn't far behind, and it has made Shadows over Camelot obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

kingsburg
I liked this game enough to get it right off the bat. Yet, the "scripted" gameplay just made things very "memorize and spit". Sure, what you roll and how you deploy your dice can make for some unique games, but to me, it's not just enough. The exp would help alleviate this, but alas, I made a judgement call to not get it since I don't think it'll get played enough. There's that hurdle to overcome, specifically, if someone's never played the game before, then playing without the expansion is recommended. That and the game takes a long time.

Oh no! I think you made a big mistake here mate. The Expansion turns Kingsburg from just an OK game to a great game, there is so much more fun with the extra building rows, the variable building rows (different ones for different players), the soldier chips, character and event cards, makes it all a lot more interesting and varied. Really makes it into a great game in my opinion, i think you should have tried the expansion and held onto this.
I've tried the exp and liked it. However, the judgement call comes from assessing that it simply won't get played enough to be worth my purchase price. It may be cruel, but if I can start newbies with the expansion to boot (probably the soldier token module and governer cards), I'd be more inclined to purchase it. Otherwise, its playtime and the fact some of the people I know tried and don't like it (with or without the exp) makes opportuntities to play it rare.

This may change in the future, but for now, it seems like a dead end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I used to play and now don't:

Empire Builder: This was my first game beyond the typical family games. I played it a lot in those years, mostly with siblings. Haven't played one of the crayon train games in years.

Catan: This (and C&K) was the one that really got me into board gaming. My friends & I would play this a lot; I also introduced it to my siblings. Now I might get a play in a year.

Tigris & Euphrates: This one makes me sad.cry I still love playing this game but others in my group are less inclined. There are so many excellent new games coming out all the time that it is very rare to see a gem like this make it to the table.

Games I didn't expect to like, but do:

Dominion: I love games with lots of pretty bits. I hated RftG and expected Dominion to be the same... just another boring card game. I was wrong and really like this one.

I can't think of any others. Most of the games I enjoy, I expected I would. There are so many excellent games that I just focus on the ones I expect to like and leave the ones that don't catch my fancy. I'm not too concerned about missing out on a good game, with so many I already like.

edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.