Subject: TESTING 1-2-3: Concerning the Conquest of the Holy Land rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niels Valdemar Vinding
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I want to draw your attention to a game that me and some friends are developing. We call it Cocerning the Conquest of the Holy Land and its about the time of the crusaders.

The core of it are the four holy orders of the templars, Johannites, Brother of St. lazarus and Teutonics. The grandmasters of these orders must explore and build up their defenses and trading posts in the holy land. This is doe by recruiting pilgrims and crusaders in Venice and the sail them to the holy land. There they will build trading posts, castles and tae control of the three holy cities. Further on they explore the Trans-Jordan plains to find the very prestigious relics there.

Our problem is this. Is it any fun? Do people wanna play this? Can we keep them playing? Do they like the designs? Do they apprechiate the funny stuff (One of the relics is the holy hand granate of Antioch)?

We wanna hear you comments and we wanna send different parts of the game to those interested in order to get your feed back.

So look at the game in here: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70510/concerning-the-conq...

Or see our website: www.notthebox.dk
and our blog: blog.notthebox.dk

And write us: info@notthebox.dk

And we will send you parts of the game for you to test and comment.

Thank you very much and we hope you like what you see

Very best, Niels Valdemar and Not The Box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chirgwin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Just as a first response: The title is cumbersome. It doesn't "speak" fluidly. I'm not commenting about the "length" of the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if it's done well, there's no reason why it wouldn't be enjoyable. it sounds like it has potential. Not been able to see much regarding the rules(if there's some out there, please point me in the direction of)...but I take it it's a resource management-type game?
I agree with the point made about the title- since you are focusing on those groups, perhaps Knights Militant or similar would be better?
If you are intending it as a more serious work (as seems to be the case), I'd keep the jokes to a minimum or hidden in the artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the title. It sounds like an old history book to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NielsValdemar wrote:
and our blog: blog.notthebox.dk

The blog has no entries, and contact details for what seems to be your ISP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as was said ... funny stuff doesn't seem like it goes well in your backstory "prestigious relics"

seems the website without the www has more info. looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cassar
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title sounds like a text book, I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing though. Maybe you could market it inside a box thats designed to look like a big thick old book???

It seems like an interesting game but for me the sheer number of map and other tiles personally scares me.

I have tried games with small map tiles like in your photos and personally I don't like it, expecially when you have to move pieces over top of them. Your forever straigtening up the board.

This looks to me like it could be a fun gamers game but its not something I'd sit down with a local church group or family to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Valdemar Vinding
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments.

The blog should be working now, and the website needs the www. in front of it.

The title is actually a reworking of an old story about the crusades from just before the arrest of the templars in 1307. It's by a author names Pierre Dubois and the book is called 'De recuperatione terre sancte'. Actually, we couldn't come up with anything else to agree on.

We like to keep the colours alive so althought I like the idea of the old dusty book, we are going for something more like this: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/798879/concerning-the-conques...

Thanks again,

Niels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The yellow, brown and green imply different kinds of terrain, but it seems like they don't on your map.

I would've expected either something more like a medieval map, or like a Victorian-era map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NielsValdemar wrote:

We wanna hear you comments and we wanna send different parts of the game to those interested in order to get your feed back.

if you have takers I would recommend sending them the entire game to test
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Grønbech
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hello James

First of all - I am replying to you as the lead artist/designer, and would just like to involve you in our thoughts concerning the artwork.

The map is inspired by an old map that shows different territories of the tribes known at the time. Since this is a game heavy on strategy and in particular, logistics, we wanted to convey that each part of the holy land can come under your rule so to speak. You can, with a crusader mason, construct fortifications, which has an area of effect. This becomes your rule and other orders must pay fees/toll to pass in your area of control.

So the front is meant to give the viewer an idea of controlled regions on a map. The colours are strong and easy - and I realize, not very akin to maps and art from the time.

I'd like to take the chance to just give some information on the actual rules and how to play the game - if it can be done without an entire rulebook!

You play as an order of knights and travel from Venice to the holy land by sea. Here you must construct a tradenetwork to increase your income, build fortications to gain reputation in Europe which in turn makes more grandmasters available to you.

There are three holy cities to control, which allows you to collect tax or gain fame (in the form of victory points).

When travel further, you can finy holy relics - large and small. You may construct temples which will give you a miracle of choice.

All in all - you must plan how to move your grandmasters about, how to maintain your armies, all the while expanding your influence and bring home relics to Europe.

I hope that made sense, any questions are welcome

Kind Regards

- Marcus, Not The Box Lead Designer/artist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.