Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scooter
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am incredibly interested in these games and I like both genres of historical aviation. I am leaning towards WWII because of my familiarity with the time period, but I'm trying to take into consideration the people that I would play with most regularly... plus cost.

I really want to get into the minis but can't imagine spending 100s of dollars to get the base sets b/c the wife would NOT be happy about it. I am considering the WWII deluxe set, but also would consider waiting for the supposedly soon release of the WWI deluxe set. This brings me to my questions:

1.) What are the main gameplay differences between the WWI and WWII system? Is the complexity difference drastic? For casual gamers, is one better than another? I've been reading that the WWII system is more geared towards objective based games instead of straight dogfights... Truth to this claim?

2.) Does anyone have an idea about when the WWI Deluxe Set will be released in the US? If my group is more casual about gaming, but more into WWII genre, would the currently available set be a poor choice?

Thanks to all in advance for your input and responses! I can't wait to get into this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice: play both with the cards. Decide which game play you like the best. Many people like both but it does seem like people favor one or the other. Both are very well suited for the types of aircraft and air war they represent. Go with the one you like the best for ANY reason. Don't try to answer your questions without playing the game.

Also there is LOTS of information on other WoW sites on the web. Find them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Scooter,
I asked this same question back in March. I got some very good feedback which should be helpful to you.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/508295/wings-of-war-whic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games are similar with the cards, but the DO give you the flavor for aviation in each respective period.

in WW1, you play 3 cards a turn, and resolve each one as separate 'phases', checking to see if you are hit at the end of each phase. This gives you the feeling of slow, plodding planes that cannot make quick, fast maneuvers, so you are kind of committed to your decisions. If you zig when your opponent zagged, you could easily end up on the loosing side quickly. Damage is resolved by a deck of cards with varying amounts of damage, and special damages (like catching on fire, or loosing your co-pilot observer). This can cause some weird things, especially since you are picking from the same deck as your opponent most of the time, unless you happen to BOTH have your own set.

in WW2, you lock in only one move, and resolve the move you played last turn. This, along with the ability to move at different speeds (giving you a choice as to which line you want to follow on the card) allows you to react more quickly to your opponent. For some reason, this slight change makes it FEEL like you are moving around the table at a much higher speed, though the cards are the same size!!! Damage is handled a little differently, where you pull chits from a bag. I think this is a little more streamlined than the WW1 version. I kinda wish this damage system could be retrofitted into the WW1 version.

IMHO, go with what interests you, they are both fun. I used to actually be like you, more familiar with WW2 aviation. I got the WW1 version, and have learned a LOT about the planes and pilots from the era. Fascinating history of people quickly adapting to a new way of waging war (as was most of WW1).

cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d bro wrote:

Scooter,
I asked this same question back in March. I got some very good feedback which should be helpful to you.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/508295/wings-of-war-whic...

Wow, I searched the forums for a while and didn't find this thread. Hell of a good resource for somebody like me!

Thanks David!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The WWI minis version makes for a fantastic gateway experience. It's one of those rare games that can scale well for any number of people, let alone being one of the few that can accommodate 6+ participants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.