Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Boykin
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 3-person subset of my main gaming group is looking to play some Federation Commander in the near future. I bought Klingon Border and Romulan Space and passed them off to our rules guru...BGG user jgreys. His initial report mentioned that many of the scenarios are of the format...1 ship from side A versus 1 ship from side B.

This type of scenario is not ideal for 3 players. I would prefer to play in a scenario with a minimum of 3 ships...preferably 2 small ships from side A versus 1 larger ship from side B. An acceptable alternative would be 2 ships from side A versus 2 ships from side B.

I was wondering if any Federation Commander veterans out there could suggest suitable scenarios that you have played that fit my criteria? I appreciate any guidance that can help narrow my search.
Ensign Aglar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certain ships vs. space monster scenarios pit multiple sides against a monster (Juggernaut, Planet Crusher, etc.) where the ships use their labs to determine how to defeat the monster and then execute their plan.

Or something like a combined Klingon and Romulan attack on a Federation Base Station (or a Fed/Kzinti attack on a Klingon base, Fed/Gorn vs. Romulan, Fed/Klingon vs. Orion pirate base in the Neutral Zone, etc.).

Or a scenario where a Fed ship goes to rescue a drifting freighter in Tholian space, the Tholians attack and --sure, why not?-- a Klingon warship arrives to get in on the action as well, turning the fracas into a 3-way fur-ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are a few ways to do this in the series (and SFB, which our group plays generally always 3- or 4- player):

Have multiple ships all told. Players can generally control (in SFB) 1-2 ships without issue, and in FedCom you can usually do twice that (or more, at 'fleet' scale). With a dozen ships on the table, even if the scenario IS only "two sides", it's pretty easy to divvy things up so each player has a small group of ships they are responsible for. The phased impulse system and simultaneous action (basically, there is no concept of a 'player turn' in the game) makes this as smooth and easy as a two-player game. And, hey, you occasionally get communication errors were half of your forces don't do QUITE what you want...just like real war would be!

Do pick-up games based on a theme. Planet with 20 exotic alien artifacts in center of map, every player picks 150bpv of forces, whoever ends the scenario with the most artifacts (one transporter action beams up one artifact) and can leave the map - WINS! Or a race - a wormhole is forming in a sector, and the first ship to reach it and scan it gains critical information about another sector of the galaxy and 'wins'. The ships all start near each other (they may have been fighting a battle, but the wormhole takes priority), and the wormhole is 200 hexes away! etc.

We've done both types (LOTS of each!) and they work quite well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Briefing #1 has at least one scenario for 3 players. This one I can think of right now runs like this:

Player A must destroy Player C, Player B must destroy player A, and Player C must destroy Player B. Then the player who has destroyed his enemy must get 35 hexes away from his pursuer. Attacking your attacker helps your enemy.

You could play a monster scenario. One player plays the monster, hellbent on destroying a planet but attacks any ships that close within 8 hexes of it. A second player is defending. A third player is trying to hinder the defender (since he wouldn't mind if the monster destroyed the planet), but is not allied with the monster. He must stay away from it or become a target of its attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A variant of that was the hat game.

When playing with a bunch of friends, put everyone's name on individual pieces of paper, shuffle them, place them in a hat or opaque vessel, and everyone blindly grab a name. That is the person whose ship you must destroy and escape the edge of the board. Keep the name secret! And try to not make it look too obvious who you are going after. The use of cloaking devices should be discouraged (let the Romulans have mines and transporter bombs, instead).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Boykin
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! Excellent suggestions! Now we just have to get this game to the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh "Der Spieler" Spillers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all! We'll play the Doomsday Machine scenario first.

Who wants to be the "space carrot?"
Meeeeeeeeeeee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.