Subject: Solo Game. Critique my play. 60 points, should have been 62 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
don't know what the rest of your hand cards were, but maybe you cooled off too much on playing minors? I see only two played, and they were in the second half. otherwise, except for your noted round 13, it looks like a good game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Converse
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than taking the Fishing in Rd. 4, I would have taken Day Laborer again. Then (if you still want to burn Sheep at the end of Stage 2) the Fishing will be a major factor in Rd. 9 (stage 3). Then you can use ovens and such to feed after this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I agree with Aaron. Also, I like to take Reed at 5, so I've got enough for 2 rooms and a renovation. That way, when you buy the fireplace, you can renovate too, without wasting an action.

Also, in all of your reports you seem to be far more in love with stables than I am. If you have limited wood, you should spend it on fences first, stables second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the straw thatched roof (and in fact otherwise) and with the seasonal worker I would have aimed for 3 grain fields before the first harvest. Then you don't need to take reed at all until right at the end with the basket maker's workshop, and can even probably eat plenty of it and still get maximum points.

Also with grain fields sown and anyway, baking is far more efficient than cooking animals and veg in solo play. a) you get much more food per grain (assuming you buy an oven, which you should as they're also worth lots of points), b) it lets you keep lots of animals to get full points for them and c) the action of getting food (sow/bake) also gets you more grain! - you can't ask for more than that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I noticed right away is that you didn't select family growth in Round 7 despite being able to afford it -- taken instead of day laborer, you would have had two less food from DL and one less from feeding the new kid leaving you with 0. That would have gotten you one more action for the game right there, which is probably worth 2 points once everything plays out. In general, I think you should always grow your family as soon as you are able to afford it because those extra actions can be worth from 1 to 3 points. Solid play otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
I'm inclined to agree on not going for fences so early. There's relatively little point in keeping animals for breeding, since you get one more per round anyway -- mostly you only need to breed boar / cattle if they come out too late to max out when you take them in the last round. My last round is generally 1. grab resource, 2. renovate + fences, 3. sheep, 4. boar, 5. cattle. Before that I grab sheep once for feeding. Not only does this save me a fencing action; it also probably means I saved a wood action and an animal action.

Especially when you have abilities that boost your grain acquisition, you should be going for a baking strategy. Baking is just so ridiculously efficient compared to ranching:

Grab 2 grain (2 actions, in your case also giving you +4 food)
Plow 2 fields (2 actions)
Sow
Grab stone, clay (2 actions)
Renovate + major (oven) + bake (2 grain => 8 food, or 1 grain => 5 food)

7.5 actions in here, or 6.5 if you count your grain grabs as half-actions. So it'll take you a bit to start up (which is why I usually do end up going for sheep once for feeding, since it's very easy to get a cookery). But after that point, you can convert grain into food at absurd efficiency every round, while cookeries can only really be used efficiently every three rounds or so, at the cost of losing you the ability to max your animal scores in single actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.