M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 6 year old daughter who loves to read. So far she has been reading story books and comics. Does anyone have any recommendations for books that teach about different topics at an elementary school level?

When my daughter started school I asked a home schooling friend what they did to encourage learning and the response was to get lots of books about different subjects and let her browse through and pick the ones that interest her.

I'm not even sure what to google for to find informative books written for kids. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a series of books called "Magic School Bus", I think Scholastic Press publishes these books, and they can be purchased through any Childrens book retailer.

These are perfectly appropriate for early readers (aged 6 or so). My seven year old read the entire series last year and enjoyed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Barnes and Nobel have a great series called "Discoveries" Quite a braod range of topics

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Stars-Planets-Discoveries-David-Levy/d...

The series might be discontinued as I can't find it on their website.

Another series is the "100 Things you should know about..."
http://www.amazon.com/Things-Should-About-Ancient-About/dp/1...

My sons loved browsing these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic School Bus is a good option and another series that our daughter (7) enjoys is the Magic Tree House series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the library, find the nonfiction section for younger readers and let her browse. Observe the types of books she lingers on, and use this as a guide to what topics she's interested in and what style of presentation appeals to her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
Go to the library, find the nonfiction section for younger readers and let her browse. Observe the types of books she lingers on, and use this as a guide to what topics she's interested in and what style of presentation appeals to her.

I second that.

We've spent lots of time at the library with our kids over the years. Especially around that age, I've been very surprised at what they pick and enjoy on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Bankler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids liked Math Curse and Science Verse by Jon Scieszka. Usborne books are good, too. Here's their website: www.usbornebooks.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan Crane: The Clouds Above

http://www.amazon.com/Clouds-Above-Jordan-Crane/dp/156097627...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids loved and still read the DK eyewitness books. They are very well done.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D4&field-ke...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Gordon
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is seven now and still loves non-fiction. When he was six he would always get the big picture books on snakes, spiders and sharks from the library.

Now it is an intravenous shot of Pokemon literature and Pokemon literature only. No diluting it with some other crap or he'll know. "It is a book about mice that look like pikachu!" No dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.