Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play stone age constantly. My wife loves the game and I do too. She has never won, but still wants to play constantly (even more than me). Im looking for a game with a similar feel and plays as well with two. Im thinking either Macao or At the Gates of Loyang. Any other recommendations or which would you recommend considering we really like Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both Stone Age and Loyang, but they do not feel alike to me. The indirect interaction in the two games is quite different, as is the basic thing you're trying to do. A game that feels a lot like Stone Age to me is A Castle for All Seasons. Like Stone Age it is a worker placement game, but has a nice role selection aspect. There's a bit more going on than Stone Age, but not much more--the games feel similar in weight.

If you're looking for something that is more complex, maybe Agricola? Definitely a step up in complexity, but should not be overwhelming if you give it a chance and are not too bothered by a game that seems fiddly at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola (as Jeff already mentioned) is somewhat like Stone Age, but a lot less random (no dice) and a lot more complex. We usually describe Agricola to those familiar with Stone Age as "Stone Age on steroids."

You might want to look at Lost Cities, as well; it's a fantastic two-player game by Reiner Knizia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is a very popular 2p option that scales nicely up to 5 players.

Personally, San Juan or Race for the Galaxy are both really good 2p card games. I also enjoy Jambo, Carcassonne, and Dominion for 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few good 2p games would be:

Court of the Medici
Jaipur
Lost Cities

Some good multiplayer games that play well with 2 are:

Vikings
Attika
Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiance and I like Stone Age too. However, the game we can not get enough of, the game we would play any time, the game I never have to talk her into playing, the game that is always tense and filled with simple, but often torturous decisions, is Battle Line.

Whenever I hear or read someone recommend Lost Cities, I cringe, because Battle Line is a far superior game. Since I played Battle Line, I haven't even wanted to touch Lost Cities.

If you don't believe me, read this recent thread discussing the hunt for a game that compares to Battle Line: Games That Play Like Battle Line?.

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Fresco is the right game for you.
It is also an worker placement game, and has a simmilar weight like Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the Kosmos two-player series for lots of ideas. Lost Cities is part of this group. There's lots of variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Finca. It's short and light like Stone Age (probably a bit lighter though). Has cool wooden pieces. There's a bit of 'I would be really helpful for me to do this action...but then they would be able to do this other thing and mess me up' similar to Stone Age. You gather up your resources and use them to get tiles, similar to the huts in Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Castle for All Seasons is graphically a twin to Stone Age. Same artist, and the resource tokens are very similar. This might attract your wife to the game.

Photo by Calabouco.

The game play is, however, quite different, and a little bit more complicated than Stone Age. It is a role selection and resource management game. Basically in a two player game, each player picks two roles and these are then resolved in a certain order. The aim is to get resources and money to buy buidlings and to place workers on the board. This will give you victory points.

Expect the first play to be a bit clunky, but after that the game will run very smoothly. It is a rather quick game, sligthly quicker than Stone Age. I played my first game of this yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. And I am a Stone Age fan!

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.