10 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Monster Cards for the D&D Minis Boosters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flo LeBlanc
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it only me or could anyone else see printable monster cards (on DnD Insider for example) that work with the newest mini-editions as nice addition?
Or would you not want that because of the "booster" approach.
(then again if you had all the stat cards you could proxy anyways)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance VanGogh
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Adding more monsters only serves to dilute the 30 card monster deck, making it less likely to have two of the same monsters out at the same time, which is one of the core mechanics of monsters that really starts to put the pressure on the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they could always include CR stat cards with the D&D Miniatures. They already have D&D stat cards with their fixed Heroes D&D Miniatures.

As for a 30-card deck, WotC could put out guidelines on swapping out monster cards to create a deck. Descent already does this, so it shouldn't be difficult. Seriously, I'm not so stupid that I can't swap out three kobolds for three goblins or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo LeBlanc
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a valid point there Vance, but as Freelance Police said you could swap monsters or perhaps they could design the monster decks in a way that the sets themselves provide "balanced" decks?

(If you use all monsters in all boosters you got you would have the commons more often than uncommons, etc.) but it would not be the same as fixed decks I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grell
United States
Winter Haven
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, swapping is probably the best idea. I have several concepts for monsters to swap in that are based on stuff from the monster manual. They also have existing miniatures from the DDM line. Some are the vanilla variety that can be swapped out for current monsters. Others will be promo level like the Gray Hag, my current example of that is a Boneclaw. Now that I have my game I can playtest them and release on here once they are finished. I'll drop the link below.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/560094/malgs-fan-made-st...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will chime in every single time this topic is raised with the same comment and the wish that Peter/Mike/etc... will see it.

I barely manage to stop myself from buying masses of DnD miniatures as is (for myself at least). If the random boosters came with monster cards, and huge units had villain cards, etc... i'd be absolutely doomed.

Right now the DnD minis are beautiful and fun to collect, but have no secondary value outside of their use in table-top play (unless you use the semi-official war-gaming rules for them). Adding board-game value immediately increases the minis audience, and makes the newly hot board-game line have all manner of support impulse buy, items on shelves.

Frankly its too late for this to happen for Lords of Madness, but i'll be shocked if it doesn't happen for whatever comes out next. I already find myself lusting after the upcoming Beholder Limited Minis set, and can imagine using it with the great villain card someone already mocked up here.

PLUS... there is a weird potential synergy in the works....

1. People wanted more Darksun minis in Lords of Madness, but the minis tend to be in the cooker a year in advance. This meant despite Darksun getting awesome new campaign books, the minis just couldn't line up with the release.

2. If, and when Ashardalon does amazingly well for itself, they're going to need to start the next boxed board-game, or perhaps expansion.

3. All of that could form a perfectly timed storm of a DnD mini line with plenty of Darksun guys usable in the table-top game, as well as a Darksun board-game.

Mmmmm....

Everyone wins, every audience gets some product directed to them, and no product fails to benefit from the brand recognition and cross-marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'd love to see this. I used to be a fan of the D&D Skirmish game, and even though I rarely played it, I bought a LOT of boosters (I have over 1,500 figures at last count).

Once they stopped including the skirmish stats, I completely stopped buying boosters. I would gladly start buying boosters if they included cards for the board game! I'm sure I'd buy even MORE boosters, since I can already tell that the board game is going to be played a lot more often than the skirmish game with my group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a really good collection of monsters for my D&D games already so recently I've mostly stopped buying their minis except for the occasional awesome visible mini in their latest monster sets (and then I get a couple of extra random minis as a bonus... sweet). I have no plans on purchasing any Lord of Madness minis. But if they start packing Monster cards for CR and Wrath of Ashardalon, well... let's just say I'll be a customer for blind booster minis again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike... Peter... please tell me you're seeing posts like these?

We're stupid, weak animals. We WANT to give you all of our money like suckers... just push us over the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo LeBlanc
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An official maybe or a definite no would be nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.