Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Diplomacy commentary - BGG05-2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commentary on Fall 1906 move:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?action=viewcom...
http://www.floc.net/observer.py?judge=DEDO&game=bgg052&page=...

Turkey made a nice try to protect Aeg, but it was not enough. And Russia taking Ank really hurts. I/R can be guaranteed to take Con and Smy next year if they cooperate. Rather than try to hold them, Turkey could go kamikazee, retaining his western fleets and trying to grab (and hold) Nap or something. It probably won't pay off in the long run, but it's sometimes fun to annoy your enemies when no other option is left....

Austria's game is very passive. What is he going to do, wait for his "allies" to eliminate him?

I'm not sure why Germany felt the need to cover Pic.

Germany should already be planning his strategy for a win. He should use the minimum force necessary to finish off England (it doesn't have to happen quickly) and dedicate everything else to crossing the stalemate line. You have to count to 18. Which 18 will it be, and how will you get them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not take long
I'm not sure why I should drag it out at this point. While Germany is a complete yuk gulp arrrh zombie devil dung beetle for stabbing me, angry at this point he clearly deserves the win.bag Certainly none of the mushrooms in the southern half of the board have played very well. Italy, in particular has not bothered to talk to England in several game years. As a prolonged resistance by England is required for Italy to have even a hope of winning this game, this is a stunning omission. The game is called "Diplomacy" for a reason. Unfortunately for me the only person besides me also playing that game stabbed me a little earlier than I expected. While damaging, this stab need not have been fatal to me if ANY of the other players had paid attention and recognized that they had to act fast in order to prevent a German sole win. In fact, under normal circumstances (i.e. strategic play by the other players) I think that would have been a bad stab, because it was not immediately fatal. I even grew after it, briefly. Had Italy joined in an attack on Germany at that point Germany would have been friendless and containable. It's part of the reason I was caught by surprise because it should have been premature. As far as I can see the Austro-Italian alliance was too tactically oriented. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean you surrender? Very well, I accept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never surrender
Never, dog!!
It's against my principles to surrender in a game of Diplomacy. I'll fight to the last center. But realistically, you're in a good position to win outright and if it becomes "inevitable" (i.e. you get to 16 or 17) I may not go out of my way to make it last a whole additional year, seeing as the other powers don't seem to want to make use of the time I've already bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.