Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized, that more and more posts on the Geek are written in languages other than english. I always thought, the Geek would be an english forum. Which actually would make sense, as english is clearly the language which is spoken and understood by the majority of the people. Does it make sense to post greek,russian or hebrew articles here? What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes it makes sense, since many users don't know English very well, or are much more comfortable in another language. (You might erroneously suppose everyone knows English fine if you look at people who post in the forums, but of course that's obviously a rather self-selecting sample...) Many games have rules available in many languages and are played by players in many languages besides English; it seems to me that BGG is (and strives to be) the most useful and complete website for boardgame info, period, independent of language.

And as far as I've always heard, the official policy is that the site is not English-only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree.

It is useful to post foreign-language files in here for reference and completeness, but posting foreign-language reviews or session reports does only do for a minority. There are surely many local websites where everyone can post in their mother language.

The only exception would be a non-existent community... but even still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
The more content the better. The majority of foreign language reviews and sessions are clearly labelled as such which I appreciate hugely. I'd also prefer that it remains 'in stream' so to speak I don't want to be shielded from the content as there may be local publications that only get buzz from those in the local communities. I'd rather see that here than be banished to some far away site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That said, a related frequent request which seems good is the ability to tag the language of entities (geeklists, threads, files, etc) in the site. Possibly people might then be able to say "Only show me content in English" or "Only show me content in English, Polish, Esperanto, German" or whatever their languages of choice are... and the rest would simply not show up for them, similar to an automatic red-box=hide-this-for-me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.