Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lauren Neeff
United States
Rock Springs
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey everyone. I have been a "serious" gamer for about 3 years now and went through the "must have BGG's top games" phase. After that I went through the "must have no luck, only strategy and 3 hours of play time" phase. I am tired of reading huge rule books (then having to come on the geek and ask a bunch of questions) and then playing games that take too long. Anything over 45 minutes is too long (actually I like 10 minutes). After all those phases I am starting to come into my own. I enjoy short games with short rules. Z-man card games are awesome. My favs are Fairy Tale, Archeology, No Thanks. As for board games most of the Kosmos 2player series like Kahuna. Also Through the Desert, Red November, etc. Take a look at my collection and help me find some new ones. Board,Card, Dice, it doesn't matter as long as the rules are short and so is game play. Thanks in advance.
Here is my collection:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/GreenRock?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say my Topology is what you are looking for. Short rules, takes 15-20 minutes, but is still challanging.

nestorgames has some more games with verry easy rules.

Further i can recommend all games from the Gipf series
as well as Octiles, Kamisado (abstract strategy) and Trump, Tricks, Game! (easy cardgame with some luck and some strategy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenRock wrote:
Take a look at my collection ...
Ummm. You mean the one that contains all those games that no longer interest you?

Try Atlantis. Quite short with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from everything nestorgames: Neuroshima Hex! might fit. Maybe Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation or Mr. Jack (or Mr. Jack in New York). Or since you like Red November, some of the other Fantasy Flight Silver Line Games - like Drakon (third edition) or Cave Troll.

I'll just throw in Claustrophobia as well, even though it's slightly longer than what you said - it rarely takes longer than 45 minutes anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a few random ideas:

10 min: for sale
30 min: dominion
45 min: san juan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnamed Object (3-8 players)
TransAmerica (best with 4-6 players)
Bananagrams (best with 4 or more players)
10_Days_in_series (2-4 players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:

This one just drags when we play it. Yes, the rules are short. But if you have a slow player, it feel like the game goes on and on. Each turn, the active player has a few phases to go through, and some of the phases have multiple options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
TVis wrote:

This one just drags when we play it. Yes, the rules are short. But if you have a slow player, it feel like the game goes on and on. Each turn, the active player has a few phases to go through, and some of the phases have multiple options.
I have limited exposure with additional players, but I'm inclined to think more slows it disproportionately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios has been/is being reprinted and fits your description very well.

Also check out Tsuro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Milner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Jaipuris a nice little 2 player card game which plays quickly and has colourful cards and counters.

You liked Kung Fu Fighting! En Garde also from Slugfest, offers a variation on the mechanics and a new theme.

The new Death Angels Space Hulk card game may be worth a look. It's cooperative and plays with one to six. Out next week.

Infinite City 2-6 players.
Taluva 2-4 players.

Both of them have short rules and a fun tile-laying mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to recommend my own game The King Commands, published by Z-Man and is available in stores now. It is a light and fast paced cardgame that takes 20-30 minutes. You should take a look at this review for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We Didn't Playtest This At All. Shortest game ever, and the rules fit on a single card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't say if you had preferences as to number of players. Personally I am focused reasonably simple games with fun themes that play well with 2 players in under an hour. With that in mind...

You really like Pandemic. If you want more co-op games, you could try:
Lord of the Rings (nothing like Pandemic, but co-op)
Castle Panic (very light)
Defenders of the Realm (I haven't tried it)

I would second the recommendations of:
Jaipur (love it so far)
Mr. Jack (I bought it but haven't played yet; already on your wish list)
TransAmerica/TransEuropa (I bought it but haven't played yet)

Other games on the lighter side:
Ra: The Dice Game (seems fun so far)
Ten Days in Europe (or others in the 10 Days series)
Vikings (I haven't tried it yet)
Maori (I haven't tried it yet; already on your wish list)

And one on the thinkier side:
King of Siam (haven't tried, but the simplicity is seductive)

I would have recommended these, but you already have them:
Forbidden Island (slightly lighter than Pandemic)
Roll Through the Ages (I haven't tried it yet)
Tikal (shorter 2-player variant; I haven't tried it yet)
Carcassonne (I didn't like it but many do)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
If you enjoy the Z-Man card games then Chaos Isle: Zombi Deck is sure to please you. Plays Solo and up to 6 players, a bunch load of different ways to play and has expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to these great games:
Fairy Tale
Fearsome Floors
Hive
Blokus
Balloon Cup (If you can get a copy)
Lost Cities
Kahuna
Samurai
Battle Line
Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde (note the Jack the Ripper game is similar, but the rules are a little more complicated than this one, else both are great)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly Deal Card Game fits as well. Short rules and can be played in about 15 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
I'm going to recommend my own game The King Commands, published by Z-Man and is available in stores now. It is a light and fast paced cardgame that takes 20-30 minutes. You should take a look at this review for more info.

I just played this a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. I'm buying it as soon as my FLGS gets it back in stock.

Be sure that your group doesn't mind some direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djcack wrote:
Awakening wrote:

I just played this a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. I'm buying it as soon as my FLGS gets it back in stock.

Be sure that your group doesn't mind some direct conflict.

Sweet! laugh

Unlike regular direct conflict games it's not so bad to get attacked here since the bags of gold you give away from your hand are not worth anything for yourself at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Tower of Babel and Aquädukt for quick games that are easy to play, teach and pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Neeff
United States
Rock Springs
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. There are a lot of games to look into now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Apart from everything nestorgames: Neuroshima Hex! might fit. Maybe Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation or Mr. Jack (or Mr. Jack in New York). Or since you like Red November, some of the other Fantasy Flight Silver Line Games - like Cave Troll.

Great sugestions. Also check out [thing=43022][/thing] (light card game - like En Garde)), Puzzle Strike (Medium Card Game - Like Dominion), or Yomi (Deep but simple card game - Original).

Even though all of these are simpler games than I am used to, I find them all very very satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ayers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Another vote for Blokus. Yes, it does have a 'no luck' element. But it is very simple to pick up and quick to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Yun
msg tools
Hi...

I am very very new to playing games so I don't know many games.... but I was introduced to a game called Guillotine tonight and it was really easy to learn and fun to play!! (even for a beginner like me!)

I played it both 2 and 3 player and enjoyed both varieties very much! The game was also really short and I think we managed something like 4 games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpoh wrote:
Hi...
I am very very new to playing games so I don't know many games.... but I was introduced to a game called Guillotine tonight and it was really easy to learn and fun to play!! (even for a beginner like me!)

great recommendation ... very newbie/non-gamer friendly ... and cheap too!

one more i didn't think of before: i've been having fun with "pick picknic" too ... supports 6 players which is nice too ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kusmaul
United States
Columbia
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey a couple games that my wife and I have enjoyed that are quick and relatively easy are:

Fjords
Pandemic
Hey that's my fish

Hope This helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.