Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played the whole normandy grand campaign as the Germans, i narrowly lost, must say it was truly awesome, the whole campaign setting makes such a difference to the atmosphere, you really feel you are playing for a purpose.

Only ran into one type of problem, on some of the campaign pages there are instructions as to what to do after a battle, and then completely contradictory instructions if playing the grand campaign which we were. I presume the grand campaign ones supercede the others but was rather confused. Let me give a couple of examples...

The Germans won operation Cobra - page 24. Campaign says go onto counter attack on mortain. but there is a grand campaign bit that says

If you win the campaign after cobra move on to early falaise.

Germans won the battle of cobra, did they win the campaign?? you don't assess the campaign until the end? I couldn't make any sense of it and jumped to early falaise which means it is impossible in the grand campaign to play counter attack at mortain...

Not at all sure i did the right thing.

I am rereading it now and I have a possibility....

IF the allies win at cobra the campaign ends, but the germans may have won the campaign even though lost the battle, this is what it means by if the Germans win after Cobra?

I now think as the Germans won Cobra we should have gone on and played counter attack at mortain and then moved on to falaise, never having played early falaise at all?

It is all very confusing.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Great to hear that you enjoyed the campaign. I am on my second playtrough of this Normandy Campaign.

THere is a difference between Grand Campaign, Campaign and scenarios here that sometimes is confusing.

Normandy Grand Campaign consists of a number of Campaigns.(Flanking Caen, Taking Caen, The Breakout, Early Flaise, Falaise)

For each of these Campaigns you sum up the number of Medals and objectives and determine a Campaign winner. THis will result in a Minor, Major or Desicive win or a Tie, which will give you 0-3 Grand Camapaign points.

After Operation Cobra the scenario describes that you should go to Counter-Attack On Mortain if the germans win the scenario. This is ok. The box that says: "If you win the Campaign after Operation Cobra" applies if the Allied player won Operation Cobra(On the Allied score sheet under Operation Cobra it probably says to END CAMPAIGN if you win.)
IF Germans win Operation Cobra: Go to Counter-Attack On Mortain.

IF Allies win Operation Cobra: Tally the score of the 3(?) scenarios played in THIS campaign and IF Germans have the most medals and objective points go to EARLY FALAISE CAMPAIGN, and IF the Allies win you probably go to FALAISE CAMPAIGN(And you don't get to play Early Falaise.)

THis is due to timing. The Allies need to win Operation Cobra to be able to be ready for Early Falaise. If they have to play Counter-Attack on Mortain teh Early Falaise historical scenarios have happened.

Did I make sense?

And there is also a Campaign Book FAQ thread on daysofwonder.com here:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=17236&start=0

Stig Morten

EDIT: After rereading your post I think this can be answered in fewer words:
andywatkins1963 wrote:

I am rereading it now and I have a possibility....

IF the allies win at cobra the campaign ends, but the germans may have won the campaign even though lost the battle, this is what it means by if the Germans win after Cobra?

I now think as the Germans won Cobra we should have gone on and played counter attack at mortain and then moved on to falaise, never having played early falaise at all?

YES and YES.

See, that was a much better answer.

Stig Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much, that helps greatly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isidoros Sarantinos
Greece
N.Smyrni, Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stig! I was ready to post the same question!

Now, I can proceed to Falaise as the Axis had a decisive victory in this campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, only happy it could help you.

Have you been running any marathons lately?

Stig Morten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.