Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One quick thing you either played wrong or just houseruled: Under "Incentives" your explanation of how XP works doesn't sound right. When killing a monster, that XP is added to a shared pool. And it is from this pool you have the option to level (on a "natural 20" or the Level Up card) and cancel Encounters.

Also, are you sure these figures don't reposition with hot/cold treatments? Others have posted to that effect.

Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Also, are you sure these figures don't reposition with hot/cold treatments? Others have posted to that effect.

Dunk in hot water, adjust the figure, dunk in cold water and you're all set. Worked for my Ghouls and the Zombie Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. My copy should arrive today. I'm sure it will see the table a few times this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
chaotic_soliton wrote:
Interesting, I do believe you are correct. On page 14 it says "Heroes' experience pile" though I don't see where it explicitly says it is a commone pool, it seems to be implied. We had played that everybody has thier own pile of experience. The incentive for exploring is not as high then. Thanks for pointing that out.

" Heroes' " is plural.

The incentive to search is to avoid nasty encounter events (sometimes).

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
chaotic_soliton wrote:
Interesting, I do believe you are correct. On page 14 it says "Heroes' experience pile" though I don't see where it explicitly says it is a commone pool, it seems to be implied. We had played that everybody has thier own pile of experience. The incentive for exploring is not as high then. Thanks for pointing that out.

" Heroes' " is plural.

The incentive to search is to avoid nasty encounter events (sometimes).

Cheers.

Also, the incentive to search is to, you know... find the tile you are questing for and stuff....

Also, what Red said... a lot of times, I'd much rather take my chances with the Wolf someone just turned up on a new tile than some of those Encounter cards... Nothing quite as awful as having Strahd whisper sweet nothings in your ear, convincing you to go whack your nearest ally. Sometimes, saying "I'm sorry!!" just doesn't cut it. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Are your kids able to make sound decisions or do you find that you are basically running the game for them?

My kids 9 & 7 love cooperative games but I prefer the ones such as Castle Panic or Forbidden Island where they are able to play on their own without my coaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
chaotic_soliton wrote:
Also, the monster cards that do have pictures, are not in color. This doesn’t affect gameplay but come on WOTC, you are not games workshop.

If Games Workshop had done it, everything would look frickin' amazing. Sure, it'd cost three times as much as it does now, but it'd look sweet.

Nice review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaotic_soliton wrote:
Larry Welborn wrote:
Are your kids able to make sound decisions or do you find that you are basically running the game for them?

My kids 9 & 7 love cooperative games but I prefer the ones such as Castle Panic or Forbidden Island where they are able to play on their own without my coaching.

They are able to make their own decisions. Because all of the powers are different variants on roll a d20, add a number and compare it to an AC number, the decisions are doable. It also helps that the powers rarely interact, they are usually just chossing a card. If you wait patiently for them to read through the cards then they usually are able to make the decisions entirely withouth help. Compared to Descent, where you can have multiple interactions with fatigue, surges, weapon powers, abilities, etc. on one attack, this is much more streamlined. I always have to help out on the more complicated Descent tactics.

We played 4 more games over the weekend, after I wrote this review and except for the rule about the joint experience pile that I got wrong, everything else seems to hold true. A perfect game for a family with younger kids. I am very excited to purchase the second D&D game if for nothing else than to increase the variety of encounters and monsters.

I totally agree with these posts. We played 1 partial game for learning purposes and 4 full games today. The boys, 11 and 8, made all their own decisions and could play the turns by themselves, move the monsters, do the encounters and generally had a good handle on the mechanics.

My youngest says that CR is now his favorite game by far, even more than Descent because it plays faster and is less confusing on what actions to take. My oldest likes CR because of the speed of play and the minis but would like to now try a real game of 4e.

It was almost time for bed and they were asking if we could squeeze in another game. I had to say 'no', but it was tough.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.