Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my pre-order copy 2 days ago. I hope this becomes the standard in pre-order procedures. After being in both the Agricola and Crokinole pre-orders which involved waiting and waiting, having the publisher take my money prior to any product having been produced, and then suffering through delay after delay, this is the way to go.

For quality, the pieces are all plastic. After thinking about it, I'm happy that they used plastic. The game looks good and will last for a long time. A quick sleeving of the cards, and this is a game I'll be playing with my grandkids.

As for the game itself, it hits a real sweet spot with me. Easy to explain, with simple rules. We played a four player game and had lots of fun. It took about 90 minutes and wasn't slowed down by AP.

The game quality and fun exceeded my expectations. What a great game to bring back in print.

Armin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for your thoughts on Code 777, and for supporting great games with your preorder!

We too have been very pleased with the smoothness of the new preorder system, and we hope to continue this trend with our upcoming games as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing more reviews and first impressions from others too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We got our first play of Code 777 this weekend as well and I enjoyed it. Since we play most of our games as a family, that's how we had our first play. I didn't know what to expect since I figured it would be too much deduction for our younger children. That turned out to be the case for those under 10 - even though they had some close guesses. Our teenagers realized pretty quick that they'd need to have their thinking caps on. So I'm looking forward to playing again with them as well as pulling it out on a neighbor game night to step up the challenge.

Having never played the original, I can't compare it. But I can say its a very good quality game that we look forward to playing more of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trent,

Thank you for your comments.

We have actually tried a variant that seems to work somewhat well for those under 10. Instead of guessing all three numbers, consider two correct numbers to be a succesful guess (even though 3 still go on their rack, and they still get to guess 3).

If that's a little too easy, you can try having them guess 2 numbers and 1 colour that appears on their rack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestion.
He did actually guess two numbers correctly a couple times - so I think that could give him some confidence to keep playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoardGameFamily wrote:
Our teenagers realized pretty quick that they'd need to have their thinking caps on....

Trent,

We have found that teenagers do very well at this game! Case in point:

At DexCon in NJ in July, I ran a tournament of Code 777, as I had a couple of pre-release copies of the game available at that time. Well, on two different tables, two young ladies (a 13 year old and a 14 year old) whipped the rest of the "oldsters" at the tables, and these included their very intelligent Dads!

Both Geoff Englestein (Dice Tower contributor and game designer) and Andrew Parks (noted game designer) were playing with their daughters. The Dad's (and the others at the table) were beaten soundly by the 13 and 14 year old young ladies! And I have to say that both Geoff and Andy are two of the smartest guys I know! It just seems that adults on occasion make certain assumptions when making their deductions...and these assumptions are simply not true. I know that I do this when playing CODE 777!

So, this is a great game for teenagers that don't mind thinking... or for parents that would like to push their smart teenagers to do some extra thinking!

Quote:
Having never played the original, I can't compare it. But I can say its a very good quality game that we look forward to playing more of.

Thanks for the compliments, Trent. We greatly appreciate you posting your views on CODE 777 and Stronghold Games.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Managing Director
Stronghold Games LLC
www.Stronghold-Games.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Brueckner
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Impression of the quality and first play
My kids are still to young for this, but I plan on holding this for them through the years. Another reason I really appreciate the quality as I know it will last.

Thanks again for a great product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.