Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

This is probably a pretty damn rudimentary question, but I'm eager to get the Age of Steam Expansion #1 maps printed, and I've never dealt with a large printing (17x22) before, so I was hoping to get some clarification before I drop 50 bucks and have a dysfunctional map.

The file alludes to being for 17x22 printing. When I go to Staples online, the smallest fittable page is white photo paper, 18x24 (my other options are either much larger, or smaller than 17x22, but there is an 18x24 "wht std hwt" - would that be better than photo paper?). I assume that's the right size to choose, without the "scale files to fit paper" option selected?

I just really don't want to drop $50 on printing a map that then doesn't fit the AoS tiles or something stupid like that.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My reality is different from yours, but Staples is ridiculously expensive around here.

I went looking for a small print shop for students since they typically offer cheaper fees. Explore a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Campbell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having not printed maps in this fashion for this purpose, I don't know if this applies, but what about a photo printer? No, not an Epson... something like http://Mpix.com where a 20x24 print is just $20? It's like an actual photo, so I don't know if the surface works for you, but they're fast and I love their large scale photo printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Office Depot? I have had good experiences getting things printed there.

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Large maps are expensive to print. I have been using Posterazor to break the maps down into smaller sheets (usually 11" x 17"), and then have them printed at the local print shop for about $1.25 per 11" x 17" sheet.

Here is the link, might be an option for you.

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kwsrv wrote:
Large maps are expensive to print. I have been using Posterazor to break the maps down into smaller sheets (usually 11" x 17"), and then have them printed at the local print shop for about $1.25 per 11" x 17" sheet.

Here is the link, might be an option for you.

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

This program is exactly what I need; I'm doing Divine Right and the map is pretty big and with this I can print to 11x17 paper at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it will help you, and thanks for the GG.

I love Posterazor!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Williamson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Don't pay the extra expense for photo prints. You should be looking for dollars per square foot not $50 a page.

Matte paper, 5+ color plotter print priced by the square foot is your target. Then spray to finish and mount on boards for solidity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Calka
United States
Holland
OTTAWA-MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used this place yet, but http://www.gmsarligames.com/product_info.php?cPath=47&produc... will print 24x36 for only $7. Most likely they could print something smaller if you wanted as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.