Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

World in Flames» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1st time Barbarossa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
anbeck
Germany
Muenster
flag msg tools
Hello there,

tomorrow I will finally play WiF for the first time, after it spent nearly a decade on the shelf.

I have started sorting the force pools, etc., in so that we can quickly start the setup tomorrow morning.

But I have some questions:

1) The scenario text says things like "all Italian reinforcements arrive in Warsaw". But I didn't find any info at all on forces that go beyond those of Germany and the USSR.... Which other powers than these two participate in the scenario, and on which side? I didn't find anything in the setup-charts as well, in fact until reading that I was convinced that I only needed to sort German and Soviet force pools...

2a) The black German SS forces go in their correpsonding force pools (ARM, INF, etc....), I guess? The color is just a silver lining without any game-effect?
2b) At first I thought red-print black german units were all militia, but I have a 5-3 (VIII SS) unit that is red-print, yet seems to be a simple INF-unit. What about this unit?

3) I have two different sorts of FTRs: Those with both cost and build time on their back, and those with only cost. What is the difference between these? What is the build time of the latter?
I suspect that those without build time are PiF-flames? So I can just leave them out, if I wish?

Thanks a lot for your answers! I thought the game was challenging, but I didn't imagine to already be desperate before the set-up :D :D

anbeck
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anbeck wrote:
Hello there,

tomorrow I will finally play WiF for the first time, after it spent nearly a decade on the shelf.

I have started sorting the force pools, etc., in so that we can quickly start the setup tomorrow morning.

But I have some questions:

1) The scenario text says things like "all Italian reinforcements arrive in Warsaw". But I didn't find any info at all on forces that go beyond those of Germany and the USSR.... Which other powers than these two participate in the scenario, and on which side? I didn't find anything in the setup-charts as well, in fact until reading that I was convinced that I only needed to sort German and Soviet force pools...


If you look in the reinforcement column marked "infantry", you will see that in Jul/Aug you get one Italian infantry corps. You also get some Rumanians so you'll need to make sure you have them ready, too.

anbeck wrote:
2a) The black German SS forces go in their correpsonding force pools (ARM, INF, etc....), I guess? The color is just a silver lining without any game-effect?


In the Barbarossa scenario, no effect. But SS units IIRC count double for garrison value vs partisans or for breaking the Nazi-Soviet pact.

anbeck wrote:
2b) At first I thought red-print black german units were all militia, but I have a 5-3 (VIII SS) unit that is red-print, yet seems to be a simple INF-unit. What about this unit?


That just shows that it is an SS unit that is NOT a white-print unit (black ink on black background doesn't work well). White print units that are out of supply defend better than black print ones.

anbeck wrote:
3) I have two different sorts of FTRs: Those with both cost and build time on their back, and those with only cost. What is the difference between these? What is the build time of the latter? I suspect that those without build time are PiF-flames? So I can just leave them out, if I wish?


Units with only one number on the back are from PIF (or maybe other expansions). In that case, the number is both the cost AND the number of turns to build. You can play the Barb scenario without PIF units.

anbeck wrote:
Thanks a lot for your answers! I thought the game was challenging, but I didn't imagine to already be desperate before the set-up

anbeck


Hope you enjoy it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anbeck
Germany
Muenster
flag msg tools
Ah, I got it with the Italian and Rumanian units, they are on the production circle already.

But I have no ideas as far as the other questions are concerned, only that by my airplane method, there are not enough planes...?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anbeck
Germany
Muenster
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for your answers!

When I wrote the 2nd message yesterday, yours had not been shown yet as we wrote at the same time. And when I posted it, I closed the window without noticing that you had replied in the meantime!

Since yesterday I only had practical questions. I should probably watch some WiFfers play to see how you:
* move stacks in the middle of the frontline without touching the stacks around it. I guess I should have gotten a pair of tweezers....
* organize all the counter pools. For the major powers I have 3 counter boxes each, which makes 30 compartments for each major power. I thought this would be enough, but it only works to put the game in the basement. In play, it would be practical to have more. Right now I have the reserve units and the yearly force pool additions in the counter boxes, and the actual force pools on the table...

I'm looking forward to playing WiF and I hope that we'll somehow manage to do it.

Thanks again,
a.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darune
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
We keep the actually force pools in open boxes (two are actually wif game box). The additions and other counters are organized by year or category (eg. reserve and militia in one compartment).

As for moving the cluttered up units on frontline: It is somewhat a mess but given time it gets easier and you dont topple the stacks all the time.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.