Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excited about this:

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/archos-announces-five-n...

Hopefully it should drive iPad prices down, as well as end the silly arguements (that I love trolling!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
If it can open PDF's and run vassal.. I am getting one. Period
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Photoshop? Stylus drawing?

Somebody needs to put out a tablet that will work for artists. Since my Gateway tablet pc is nearing 5 years old I'm getting very nervous about it and I'm not seeing any new tablet PCs on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You realize that Archos' tablets are not telephony capable and therefore have no access to the normal Android market unless you hack them to, right?

Also, there's a VASSAL for Android?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My HP tc1100 tanked and I'll never buy from that company again. I'm suspect of any tablet now. The tiny profile requires tiny parts and that results in greatly increased failure rates.

Paying $300 for a "tablet" style machine that will run VASSAL? Now that works for me.

That last post was correct however. Archos seems like a closed system working inside of a fairly open system (Android) that is still quite limited. Java based though so good hope, and far more than with Apple.

Thanks for the post OP.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
You realize that Archos' tablets are not telephony capable and therefore have no access to the normal Android market unless you hack them to, right?

Also, there's a VASSAL for Android?

What do you mean 'not telephony capable'? It has WiFi-N. I may not be able to use it in the middle of a park or something, but most places I personally spend time have some sort of WiFi. And admittedly not having the Google Android Market is a problem, but it will have the Archos Market, and I imagine many developers will place their applications in there.

Regarding Vassal, Vassal runs on Java, and Java runs on Android. It may take a special packaging of Vassal, but it won't be hard. If no one does it right away, I'll volunteer to do it myself. :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I should have posted the links from Toshiba, Samsung, Viewsonic, Rydeen, and others who announced the launch of their tablets this week. Boatloads of them are coming. One that will suit almost any user. Kmart already sold out of a $150 Android tablet that some no-name company already got to market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/grab your parade umbrellas, here comes the rain

I think you folks are vastly underestimating the resource requirements of your average VASSAL module.

Fire up something like Combat Commander, check your system resources, and then compare that to any of these tablets... we're still quite a ways away from anything that can handle VASSAL. Just having JAVA is not enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shatner wrote:
What do you mean 'not telephony capable'?

I meant "doesn't have a phone chip", but it turns out that's not the problem -- the lack of GPS is what blocks them from the Android market.

It'd be nice if VASSAL ran but I, too, fear that it's way too overwhelming for the kind of CPU you'd find in a tablet. However, hopefully Android's success will mean more games appearing for it and not just iOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shad wrote:

I think you folks are vastly underestimating the resource requirements of your average VASSAL module.

Fire up something like Combat Commander, check your system resources, and then compare that to any of these tablets... we're still quite a ways away from anything that can handle VASSAL. Just having JAVA is not enough!

The memory requirements for VASSAL 3.2 will be dramatically less than for previous versions, so if the issue is these devices having too little memory, you might find that won't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. thanks Joel.

I think we can all see the day where we will have what we truly desire.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shad wrote:

I'll do that. Thanks for pointing out something I hadn't thought of! However, the boards in Vassal are pretty high-res scans and such. I bet there are optimizations that can be made within the modules to help things out, and in addition the Vassal devs might start lowering the footprint of the framework itself if they see alot of interest in the mobile market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uckelman wrote:

The memory requirements for VASSAL 3.2 will be dramatically less than for previous versions, so if the issue is these devices having too little memory, you might find that won't be a problem.

Great to hear, but v3.2 has been on the horizon for quite a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shad wrote:
uckelman wrote:

Great to hear, but v3.2 has been on the horizon for quite a while

The web site migration set us back about four months on the development schedule I had in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
Photoshop? Stylus drawing?

Somebody needs to put out a tablet that will work for artists. Since my Gateway tablet pc is nearing 5 years old I'm getting very nervous about it and I'm not seeing any new tablet PCs on the market.

PS? How about SAI?
Lenovo has the X series in a Tablet.

gschmidl wrote:

There's even a how-to video.
http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Android_Market_Pa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.