Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for monster movement are rather vague, they pretty much either move adjacent to a hero or they move a tile. However, which square on the tile do the move to? And when moving adjacent, can it still be one tile away (for example, the hero is on the edge of a tile, half his adjacent squares are on the other tile)? And who decides all this, the active hero or the controlling monster player?

I've just noticed that I can make the game easier if I move the monsters to where they are advantageous to my hero (i.e. keep them one tile but adjacent, etc), so it's making me question if I'm doing this right...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Yeah, you're doing it right. The game's generally hard enough; this's a way to help soften it up...

That said, when I play solo, I made a rule in my head to always move monsters to the next bone pile, just to make things a little more procedural. If the bone pile's occupied, then I'll move it wherever, usually to the farthest row of the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
Yeah, you're doing it right. The game's generally hard enough; this's a way to help soften it up...

That said, when I play solo, I made a rule in my head to always move monsters to the next bone pile, just to make things a little more procedural. If the bone pile's occupied, then I'll move it wherever, usually to the farthest row of the tile.
Hey that's a pretty cool little procedure there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was kind of wondering if that was the standard rule or not, since move to the "next tile" is really vague. Where in the tile do you place the monster? At first, I was thinking the bone-pile, but then couldn't find anything to verify that, so started wondering...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grell
United States
Winter Haven
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the choice of the player controlling the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malgamus wrote:

Which is...? That's another vague aspect of these rules, since a hero doesn't really gain control of the monster. I think the controlling hero is either the active hero if he has a monster card of that monster, or the 1st hero with the monster card to the active hero's left.

Speaking of controlling hero, is it the controlling hero player who is supposed to roll the attack?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grell
United States
Winter Haven
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the villain phase of their turn a player activates all the monster figures on the board for each monster card they have, in the order they received them. The player that is taking their turn rolls the dice for each monster that attacks that turn as well. No other player should be rolling dice for anything on your turn only you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
shnar wrote:
Malgamus wrote:

Which is...? That's another vague aspect of these rules, since a hero doesn't really gain control of the monster. I think the controlling hero is either the active hero if he has a monster card of that monster, or the 1st hero with the monster card to the active hero's left.

Speaking of controlling hero, is it the controlling hero player who is supposed to roll the attack?

-shnar

Monster figs are activated by players holding the matching monster cards. Most of the time, this is one fig, one card, and the monster will only activate on step three of the villain phase of the player holding the monster card. If there are multiples of a monster fig on the board, they're all controlled by all players holding the matching cards.

There are three players, A, B, and C. A and C each have a kobold card in front of them, and accordingly, there are two kobold figs on the board. On player A's turn, he activates both kobolds in turn. If they're still both standing on player C's turn, they would both activate again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The controlling hero is the hero that explored the next tile, then picked the top card of the monster deck, and placed the monster. They now control the monster every time they are in their villain phase until it dies. They do the rolling for the monster cards in their control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When they spawn due to new tile they go on the bone pile.

For movement, however, as a Monster controller, you are allowed to place the Monster anywhere you wish, as long as you don't violate the movement rules listed on the Monster card.

Source: Phone call to WotC customer service
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Garcia
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding the monster movement, my group kept it to the example on page 5 of the rule book. The example showed a skeleton 3 tiles away from the wizard. So, with that pic plus the description of movement just above it saying "If you are counting tiles, you never count diagonally; you move in straight lines instead of diagonal lines when you counting tiles." Given that, we decided that when moving the monsters and/or villians, the movement is 4 spaces (the length of a tile) barring any walls that might be in the way. It worked for us.When controlling monsters, the active hero controls the villian and all monsters he controls plus any that match the monsters name he has in his monster "pile"(page 7 in the Villain Phase section,the 3rd part of that phase)! Hope this helped. Keep the dice rolling....!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you only activate the cards you have? I thought it was activate every monster on the board. Thanks for the clarification.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I believe it's in the Villain Phase description on page 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the game's designers answered that question elsewhere on this forum (if I'm not mistaken), he also said that the heroes should feel free to move the monsters to their benefit (as long as they stay within the rules). Can't find the actual post atm though I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Oh, you only activate the cards you have? I thought it was activate every monster on the board. Thanks for the clarification.

-shnar

Sort of. If you, for example, have a Zombie card and there are 2 or 3 zombies on the board, you activate all of the zombies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Sort of. If you, for example, have a Zombie card and there are 2 or 3 zombies on the board, you activate all of the zombies...

Yeah, I see it now. First time I read it, I think I confused the 'move all of the same type' to 'move all types'. Of course, first time I played it was a solo game, so it didn't matter much, but this clarification will help for this weekend's game

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitewolf wrote:
One of the game's designers answered that question elsewhere on this forum (if I'm not mistaken), he also said that the heroes should feel free to move the monsters to their benefit (as long as they stay within the rules). Can't find the actual post atm though I'm afraid.
Yes, we were told this by the designers at GenCon: it's expected that the players will move and attack with the monsters to the best advantage of the heroes, not the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.